Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2016, 10:58 PM
Master Modeler

I would like to build this Saturn V with this modification.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Saturn V engine mod aa .jpg
Views: 62
Size:  379.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Saturn V engine mod0002 - Copy.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  416.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Saturn V #2157 E-M copy.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  659.9 KB  
Old 11-28-2016, 01:17 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I remember the old 1962 Estes B16. It was 2.5n-sec impulse and had a 0.08 sec burn time.
It was like a controlled explosion. That B16 was rated in the old POUNDS, not Newtons system too.
It made the B3 (B14 in newton rating) seem like a long-burn pip-squeak.
I still have a couple in my collection somewhere.
They have a nozzle opening at least as big as an E12 and a DEEP large core.
I flew one once iin an Astron Sprint.
SPRINT was an understatement. It was more like insta-warp to Mach 1+.
Got it back fine though.
Made GREAT boosters for an Astron Farside-X with a B16-0, C5-0, C6-7 combo.
I once flew a Farside on a B14-0 to B14-0 to B14-7. That was one wacky FAST straight-up flight with ZERO weathercocking.
The first time I ripped fins off a rocket was an old Astron Ranger with a cluster of 3 old B16-something motors.....48 POUNDS of thrust for .08 second in a 2.2oz rocket was more than it could handle. It was a spectacular shred that did not really damage the rocket. It kept going straight up after it shred the fins at about 75' ! That's way more kick than an old FSI F100 and very few flew those in BT-60 sized rockets.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 11-28-2016, 10:27 PM
Somewhat Skilled Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I remember the old 1962 Estes B16. It was 2.5n-sec impulse and had a 0.08 sec burn time.
It was like a controlled explosion. That B16 was rated in the old POUNDS, not Newtons system too...

I got into the hobby in '63 but really didn't come up to speed until late '64 or so and never put my hands on the B16 (n the metric system it would have been something like a B70 ish designation!). I did fly a number of B3s which, thrust curve-wise, are pretty much like B14 motors...which I loved as booster motors.

From what I understand, there were VERY FEW of the B16 motors ever produced so you are lucky to have actually experienced them!
johnpursley@accur8.com
Old 11-28-2016, 10:39 PM

Default Accur8 Saturn V Skin Kit

Just over the past day since mentioning the upcoming Accur8 Saturn V skin kits I have been contacted by several people who (to generally paraphrase) have said, " I have built my Saturn, applied the (vac or paper) wraps up to the point where it is ready for your skin kit."

The Accur8 Skin kits for the Saturn V (in fact for any model to which Accur8 Skin Kits are applied except maybe the Little Joe II) are best applied DURING construction. In the case of the Saturn V they should be applied to both the BT-101 and BT-80 tubes before ANY construction involving those tubes is begun. The kit wraps, tunnels and details go OVER the skins.

As with all the other kits I have skins available for, a patient and careful modeler can apply the skins to a completed (or partially completed) model but it will extend the building time and open the door for flaws or mistakes in application of the skins.

So, if you have already applied the kit wraps and details to your Saturn V and are intending to "skin" it with the Accur8 kit (should be available in a couple of weeks) I would use copy paper to make accurate templates for cutting the skins in the skin kit...especially for the SII tank. To try to cut and apply the skins without such templates is inviting less than satisfactory results.

If anyone has any questions about the Skin kit or how to apply it...or whatever, feel free to contact me direct through one of the links below.
johnpursley@accur8.com
Old 12-06-2016, 01:04 PM

After posting here and elsewhere that I will be releasing a skin kit for 1/100 scale Saturn Vs I have received a pleasantly surprising number of responses.

I am currently taking "pre-orders" at $40 up until the "production" kit is released (hopefully by Christmas). Contact me for details if you are interested in the pre-order deal.

An addition to the kit is the use of a printed aluminum skin for the Service Module and Fins (to fit the latest Estes Saturn). This is not "chrome" Mylar, silver ink printing, or a "metalized paper, but actual aluminum that is a bit thicker than traditional "foil" to resist "dings" and "crinkling" and it is adhesive-backed like the printed poly skins in the kit. I will also provide decals for the (non-aluminum colored) surfaces of the SM including the radiators, white panels, and the "UNITED STATES" and American flags which are on white backgrounds. I may also provide the fin markings though they would be identical to the Estes fin decals.

Just in case one might not like the metal skin for the SM I am including a "conventional" printed poly sking for the SM.

I am still working on the prototype Saturn with the skins (it is for a special customer who has waited months to get his Saturn...I'm not selling it for those who might ask) and until things are finalized there won't be photos or the like...you may ask, but until things are "final", no photos. That's a whole can-of-worms that I opened on past projects that I want to avoid on this one <G>.

Also started preliminary work on a 1/100 scale Little Joe II skin kit that will include the SM markings for the various LJII missions as well as the "metal" skin described above for the body and fins. I won't have it ready any time before LATE January or later...but feel free to contact me about it.
johnpursley@accur8.com
Old 12-07-2016, 01:32 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpursley
After posting here and elsewhere that I will be releasing a skin kit for 1/100 scale Saturn Vs I have received a pleasantly surprising number of responses.

I am currently taking "pre-orders" at $40 up until the "production" kit is released (hopefully by Christmas). Contact me for details if you are interested in the pre-order deal.

An addition to the kit is the use of a printed aluminum skin for the Service Module and Fins (to fit the latest Estes Saturn). This is not "chrome" Mylar, silver ink printing, or a "metalized paper, but actual aluminum that is a bit thicker than traditional "foil" to resist "dings" and "crinkling" and it is adhesive-backed like the printed poly skins in the kit. I will also provide decals for the (non-aluminum colored) surfaces of the SM including the radiators, white panels, and the "UNITED STATES" and American flags which are on white backgrounds. I may also provide the fin markings though they would be identical to the Estes fin decals.

Just in case one might not like the metal skin for the SM I am including a "conventional" printed poly sking for the SM.

I am still working on the prototype Saturn with the skins (it is for a special customer who has waited months to get his Saturn...I'm not selling it for those who might ask) and until things are finalized there won't be photos or the like...you may ask, but until things are "final", no photos. That's a whole can-of-worms that I opened on past projects that I want to avoid on this one <G>.

Also started preliminary work on a 1/100 scale Little Joe II skin kit that will include the SM markings for the various LJII missions as well as the "metal" skin described above for the body and fins. I won't have it ready any time before LATE January or later...but feel free to contact me about it.
Another 1/100th scale Saturn V option that you could offer--if you don't already offer it--would be a white SM wrap, to depict Apollo 6's white Service Module. To my knowledge, Apollo 6 was the only Apollo-Saturn V that flew with a white SM, but I suppose it's possible that at least one Saturn IB--maybe one of the early suborbital test flight rounds--carried a CSM whose SM had the same (or a very similar) white paint scheme.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 12-07-2016, 08:17 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Another 1/100th scale Saturn V option that you could offer--if you don't already offer it--would be a white SM wrap, to depict Apollo 6's white Service Module. To my knowledge, Apollo 6 was the only Apollo-Saturn V that flew with a white SM, but I suppose it's possible that at least one Saturn IB--maybe one of the early suborbital test flight rounds--carried a CSM whose SM had the same (or a very similar) white paint scheme.

I've seen pics and have read that it was painted white to match the CM, but never have seen a reason given for doing it while leaving 1, 4 and 7-ASTP unpainted.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:30 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I've seen pics and have read that it was painted white to match the CM, but never have seen a reason given for doing it while leaving 1, 4 and 7-ASTP unpainted.
I can only guess, but perhaps it was a thermal control management experiment (which didn't yield better performance than that obtained from Apollo 4's simpler, "fewer-things-to-go-wrong" [such as a lack of peeling/flaking white paint, as on Apollo 6; Mariner 2 suffered from that in 1962])? Or...

As with all of the good luck tricks and invocations that were used--almost in desperation--with Vanguard 1 after the post-Sputnik Vanguard TV-3 "Kaputnik!" debacle on Dec. 6, 1957, maybe the Apollo launch crews (who knew they were running out of time and Saturn rockets to get the first landing before 1969 was over), returned to Apollo 4's simpler--and perhaps easier to make--CM outer finish out of a hope that it might bring them (and the subsequent Apollo missions) some of the luck that had made Apollo 4 proceed so perfectly. (Rocket and space scientists, engineers, technologists, and technicians are highly-trained, "hard-boiled" people who use logic, but many of them also aren't the least bit afraid to "petition and/or honor the unseen" for help--Japan's rocket pioneer Dr. Hideo Itokawa even publicly expressed his thanks for such sought assistance, and even Elon Musk once said before a pivotal early SpaceX launch, "Any entities who are watching over this, please bless this launch."
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 12-07-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire

As far as Saturn V goes, Apollo 4 and 6 used Block I spacecraft and the SMs were both white. All subsequent missions utilized Block II spacecraft with SMs that had various white/silver patterns. There were no "bare metal" SMs. The "silver" you see was an "aluminum" coating (call it paint) over a very thin cork material that covered almost the entirety of the SM. The eight radiators on the SM/CM fairing were actually on panels slightly over .5" thick attached to the outside of the fairing and were always white. The two larger radiators located near the aft of the SM where integral and flush to the SM skin (they did not protrude) and were also always white. The SM "bays" had variations of white and silver coverings.

Anyway, I am planning to produce skin kits for SMs of all the Saturn missions with the Apollo 4 and 6 skins, of course, being white. Ditto on the SMs for the Saturn 1B skin kits when I release them sometime in the next couple of months.

The current Saturn V skin kit to be released by Christmas (or shorty thereafter) will be representative of either Apoll0 or Apollo 11...haven't decided precisely which one yet...
johnpursley@accur8.com
Old 12-07-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpursley
As far as Saturn V goes, Apollo 4 and 6 used Block I spacecraft and the SMs were both white. All subsequent missions utilized Block II spacecraft ...

Woops! I'm going to correct myself...I should have said the spacecraft (meaning the CM/SM combo) of Apollo 4 and 6 were both Block I and they were painted in the colors you see in publicized photos...mostly all silver with a bit of white for Apollo 4 and all white for Apollo 6...but no bare metal (the KSC environment was too harsh for the alloys used to fabricate the honeycomb skins of the SMs). After 4 and 6 flew, the "production" Block II SM's got the silver "painted" cork treatment (the cork served as both an insulator and an ablator for heating experienced during launch as well as protection from the RCS plumes.

The spacecraft (CM and SMs) for both Apollo 4 and 6 weren't "strictly" Block I...both missions had elements of Block II modifications...they were a bit "mongrelized" with true Block II beginning with Apollo 7.
johnpursley@accur8.com