Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2014, 10:17 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Default Sorta New Project

Comrades,

Well , the kids "accidently" broke my second attempt at an escape tower for the Mercury so I decided to take a break.

So, in keeping with what my wife has diagnosed as Adult ADD, I started something else. Attached is the picture. Guess what's being built. Use all the clues at your disposal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  R7b.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  915.2 KB  

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 09-12-2014, 11:00 PM
Old Submariner

Vostok?

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 09-13-2014, 06:12 AM
Surfrajettes Fan

Jeffy gets partial credit.

In the scale section; SPK as the avatar; two sets of shrouds each set having four longer sections.

Yes, the paper parts for two R-7s. Gordy cut a Sputnik nose cone for me years ago and I decided to build it. The rocket itself appears to be a lighter grey than present R-7s and it doesn't have a lattice interstage. I'm thinking of painting it Russian underside grey which is like a light grey primer with some blue mixed in. Different. Because of the short length nose, it's gotta be built light, but other than that, as R-7s go, it should be a relatively quick build.

The second R-7 is likely to be Voskhod 2, the first space-walk mission. This particular mission had an unusual black and white roll marking on the third stage that should be interesting. For those who don't know, Voskhod was a sort of hybrid, being a Vostok capsule on a Soyuz third stage. I need to find a silver Ping-Pong ball for a capsule, but other than that, I think I have everything for this build.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:43 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
Jeffy gets partial credit.

In the scale section; SPK as the avatar; two sets of shrouds each set having four longer sections.

Yes, the paper parts for two R-7s. Gordy cut a Sputnik nose cone for me years ago and I decided to build it. The rocket itself appears to be a lighter grey than present R-7s and it doesn't have a lattice interstage. I'm thinking of painting it Russian underside grey which is like a light grey primer with some blue mixed in. Different. Because of the short length nose, it's gotta be built light, but other than that, as R-7s go, it should be a relatively quick build.

The second R-7 is likely to be Voskhod 2, the first space-walk mission. This particular mission had an unusual black and white roll marking on the third stage that should be interesting. For those who don't know, Voskhod was a sort of hybrid, being a Vostok capsule on a Soyuz third stage. I need to find a silver Ping-Pong ball for a capsule, but other than that, I think I have everything for this build.

Why do you need ping pong ball? The voskhod didn't use ejection seats... Did it still have the exposed hatch like the Vostok? That was the scary thing about voskhod, and why it only flew twice iirc.... The ejection seat was ripped out in order to fit three guys inside in sweaters... No suits, no escape possibilities at all... If they were spacewalking they could only fit two guys and the suit inside...

Later! OL JR
Old 09-13-2014, 04:32 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Yep, still had the exposed hatch. The capsule was silver but the aeroshroud was almost identical to the one on a Vostok. The EVA tunnel was on the side opposite the hatch.

Check out the attachments:

1) the cool paint job I'm shooting for; The Space Corp. Energia book I have identifies this as Voskhod 2 as does ninfinger ( the source of this picture). Other sources say it was Voskhod 1 that had the black and white third stage.

2) this is the spare Voskhod spacewalk shroud still in Russia; this is the side opposite the ingress/egress hatch

3) a cutaway showing the seating arrangements

Scale judging at my launch site involves SWMBO Actual comparing my rocket to a picture I show her. Judging itself is thumbs up/thumbs down. I usually do pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  VSKHD2.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  7.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  The%20voskhod%202%20shroud.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  33.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Vostok_and_Voskhod_crew_seating.png
Views: 83
Size:  60.2 KB  

Old 09-14-2014, 03:00 PM
BAR

Quote:
Yep, still had the exposed hatch. The capsule was silver but the aeroshroud was almost identical to the one on a Vostok. The EVA tunnel was on the side opposite the hatch.

Check out the attachments:

1) the cool paint job I'm shooting for; The Space Corp. Energia book I have identifies this as Voskhod 2 as does ninfinger ( the source of this picture). Other sources say it was Voskhod 1 that had the black and white third stage.

2) this is the spare Voskhod spacewalk shroud still in Russia; this is the side opposite the ingress/egress hatch

3) a cutaway showing the seating arrangements

Scale judging at my launch site involves SWMBO Actual comparing my rocket to a picture I show her. Judging itself is thumbs up/thumbs down. I usually do pretty well.

Ah, ok... thank you for that... Interesting stuff to be sure... Never seen the photo of the airlock shroud... very cool.

Nice graphic about the seating arrangements... I've seen the pad photo with the crew of Voskhod 1 about to ingress the capsule, in their sweaters and trousers, no pressure suits, and when you think about the primitive nature of the technology of the time and the rate of failure or life threatening problems, it kinda makes you cringe...

Course, the shuttle crews flew with the equivalent of motorcycle suits and helmets from after STS-4 until Challenger... only after Challenger was an ascent and entry pressure suit developed. (the early "developmental" shuttle flights with ejection seats, STS-1 through 4, had pressure suits...)

Even the Russians realized that they were pushing their luck with Voskhod... that's why they didn't fly any more of them. Korolev wanted to do away with them entirely, but the USSR at that time was feverishly seeking "space firsts" to outdo the United States manned space program, and thus regardless of the risks, Voskhod was going to get them the record for a first multi-man crew (in fact three, rather than the two crew aboard Gemini-- and LONG before Apollo flew a crew of three) and the first spacewalk.

Best of luck with your project! OL JR

Later! OL JR
Old 11-25-2014, 11:19 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Comrades,

Attached is an update picture of the Sputnik R-7 build. Still not quite ready to go; the nose cones need painting. The very top of the core nose cone needs four little paper details to which I will add the Sputnik antennae after painting (yes, they were outside the cone laying flat against it on the way up). If you were wondering, Sandman made the nose cone a few years back; I hate to admit I'm just now getting to it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Sputnik3.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  883.4 KB  

Old 11-26-2014, 01:06 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Comrades,

Attached is an update picture of the Sputnik R-7 build. Still not quite ready to go; the nose cones need painting. The very top of the core nose cone needs four little paper details to which I will add the Sputnik antennae after painting (yes, they were outside the cone laying flat against it on the way up). If you were wondering, Sandman made the nose cone a few years back; I hate to admit I'm just now getting to it.

I did???

You'd think I'd remember that.

I made a lot of cones. Just too lazy to make the whole rocket more than once.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  R-7 family.JPG
Views: 29
Size:  41.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  R-7 family2.JPG
Views: 56
Size:  59.6 KB  

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 05-07-2015, 10:15 AM
Surfrajettes Fan

Comrades,

Again, with the idea of completing the discussion circle, the first picture is the now complete and ready-to-launch Sputnik R-7 in 1/64 scale on the paint stick under this morning's clear, blue, Texas sky. Paint is Rustoleum Auto Primer Grey with a Gloss White Aeroshroud. Recovery is Top-Flight 30" nylon (which is a snug fit in the BT-55). Power is 24mm. The basic build is modifed from the larger of the Pete Alway plans as originally printed in The Art of Scale Rocketry . The nose cone was custom from Gordy at Excelsior Rocketry. Little details are cardstock and the two scoops are balsa. I'm not totally sure about those scoops but they do show up in some drawings and the old Cutting Edge resin model so I added them.

The second picture is Sputnik with Vostok and Soyuz. I posted build threads for those elsewhere on this site in case anyone else wants to try an R-7.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Sputnik4.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  480.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  r7 final.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  841.9 KB