Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2016, 05:29 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
It would be better for us. The average Walmart kid would screw it up.
Yeah, that was my thought, too. But, I suppose, Estes could always pre-assemble some for big retailers.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 04-13-2016, 07:04 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Quote:
It would be better for us. The average Walmart kid would screw it up.

Ack, I cannot argue there.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 04-13-2016, 08:40 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Got that right. I'd even go farther and say no matter how large your field, start out with no more than an A8-0 to A8-5 so that you can get accustomed to how fast it leaves and how tiny it is at altitude. It will fly higher and faster than an equivalent minimum diameter single stage on a B4 or B6. Work your way up one motor at a time until you almost lose it! The older you are, and the fewer people tracking, the more important it is!

In all my years of flying rockets, I honestly do not remember ever buying "A" or smaller booster motors (other than the 13mm mini motors). But I may just order some A8-0/A8-5 motors and build my Taser Twin as an Apogee II, my first two-stage rocket, back in the 60s.

I'll shop for a plastic payload tube, and cut out "Bertha-like" fins used by the Apogee II, upper stage, and use in place of the "Sky Hook" style fins used on the Taser Twin.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 04-14-2016, 01:00 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

In discussions with Carl via email/pm's it was my understanding that once Semroc got back into motor production (which unfortunately never happened) they were going to go the route of having separate combined delay/ejection modules to be used with basic booster-style 'propellant modules', which would offer the greatest utility for HOBBYIST rocket fliers.
Agree this would not work for one-time purchasers at wal-mutt, some of which can barely READ.
I'm not in favor of 'dumbing down' our hobby for the toy-purchasing masses anyway.
That was almost the demise of Estes under that last knucklehead toy executive.
Thankfully Estes is in the hands of a true HOBBY company now under the watch of Lee Piester's son.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-14-2016, 06:52 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Too bad Estes discontinued the B4-6 and kept the B6-6.
The thrust profile and larger diameter nozzle makes for a much better and easier ignited upper-stage motor.
Some of the engines Estes discontinued make no sense at all.
Examples:
B4-6 instead of B6-6 ( it makes no sense to me to have both B6 and B4 motors in the same delay ); the only B6 motor that still should exist is the B6-4; The B4-2 is better than the B6-2 and the B4-6 is better than the B6-6.

C5-3 instead of the C6-3; there is nothing the C6-3 does that the C5-3 does not do better.

The entire B8 line; it was a decent substitute for the B14 and can be made with a pintle die instead of drilling the core as the B14 had to; The B8 is much better at getting draggy/heavy rockets moving than the B6; I'd just as soon like the entire B6 line replaced by the B8 in delays of 0, 2, 4, and 6 seconds; the nozzle diameter is the same as the B4 and just would need a pintle-die used when pressing the propellant. One can actually make their 'own' B8's/B14's out of B4's albeit against the NAR safety code.
Hmmm...I wonder if a B8 could produce performance approaching that of a B14 if a rocket powered by a B8 was piston-launched? Piston launchers need not be tricky devices to use--a commercially-made one (or one built from plans) could utilize a lengthwise-split, hinged cylinder that would be closed and latched shut around the stationary piston after the rocket's igniter was connected to leads that passed down through the piston. The hinged cylinder would also be easy to clean (as would the piston), and the cylinder's "lip-edge seals" could easily be changed when necessary. A short length of tower (a set of three or four easily-switchable, "adjustable opening" rails, just a few inches long) would be all the launcher would need to guide a model as it was very rapidly "popped" into the air at ignition. Such a launcher could be offered by Estes as an "associated product" for use with B8 (and C5) motors, and it would give any 18 mm motor extra "oomph."
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR