Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2014, 11:14 AM
Master Modeler

Default Estes Guardian Build and Ezedope trial

I bought a few of these kits at the local hobby store on clearance and decided to build two. One for me and one for my father in law. I have been using this product called Ezedope on my freeflight airplane builds. I was not looking or a non toxic replacement for dope but rather a way to prevent warps in my small airplane structures. I have tried everything with model airplane dope since the early 80s and no matter what my fragile surface would warp overtime. I heard people using Eze Dope and they were not experiencing warps in the fragile surfaces so I gave it a try. Well on one of my planes I had to paint bare balsa so first I coated with Ezedope then painted. I was impressed how smooth it came out so I decided to give it a try on my rocket. I did try Deluxe materials Sanding Sealer and it was ok but not a replacement for Aerogloss. I built both of my Guardians one with Aerogloss sealer and one with Ezedope. I used three coats of each sealer with sanding in between. Eze dope takes a little longer to dry but sands easy like Aerolgoss. After the 3rd coat and sanding I sprayed both rockets with one coat of Rustoleum Sandable Filler primer. I first do a couple mist coats followed by a final coat but not too thick. I then sanded the primer and sprayed a coat of white primer on both rockets. Normally after the filler primer and Aerogloss I would spray the primer a couple of times to get a grain free finish. After sanding the white primer both rockets looked smooth and the Aerogloss fins had minor grain showing and the Ezedope fins had no grain showing.
The other good thing about this Ezedope is the balsa does not warp. I decided to try this stuff on a Estes Taser Twin with 1/16 balsa not attached to the Bt Guess what after 3 coats the thin fins did not warp. My original Taser Twin I build had warped fins after applying Aergloss and that is with the fins attached to the BT. I sprayed one Guardian with Old Formula Krylon, well not really old formula it is their industrial paint. I think they changed it again because it smells different and it is not as glossy. I had to spray Glosscote after my final color, normal I don't use Clear finishes on my rockets. The second Guardian I sprayed with Testors Gloss Black and wow, goes on smooth and super glossy. Today I will shoot the Taser Twin with Primer and let you know how that goes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0156 (1024x681).jpg
Views: 40
Size:  378.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0159 (1024x681).jpg
Views: 40
Size:  447.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0163 (1024x681).jpg
Views: 41
Size:  340.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0165 (1024x681).jpg