Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2015, 12:54 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Default Man, It's Been COLD Out There!!

Don't know about the rest of you guys in the good old USA, but up here in Canada it's been an old fashioned COLD winter. Today it's +1C (about 34F) and that's just the second time this YEAR, day or night, that it has gone above freezing. In fact, because my freezer is full, I have been using a shed to store frozen food for over a month. My end of January heating bill hit a new all-time record, and my end of February bill, which came in today, broke that!

And what's more amazing is that I'm almost as far south as you can get in Canada, right on the north shore of Lake Ontario. I know it can get really cold in Wisconsin, Illinois, NY, PA and the US midwest, and in western Canada as well. Any of you guys got stories?

Joe
Old 03-04-2015, 01:24 PM
Master Modeler

We have set records in February for cold temperatures. Bitter cold. -28F one morning on the way to work.

Today we have a high of 35F (feels like Summertime) but tomorrow the forecast is
-1F/13F .... Hopefully this will be the last of the cold spell.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:42 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Don't know about the rest of you guys in the good old USA, but up here in Canada it's been an old fashioned COLD winter. Today it's +1C (about 34F) and that's just the second time this YEAR, day or night, that it has gone above freezing. In fact, because my freezer is full, I have been using a shed to store frozen food for over a month. My end of January heating bill hit a new all-time record, and my end of February bill, which came in today, broke that!

And what's more amazing is that I'm almost as far south as you can get in Canada, right on the north shore of Lake Ontario. I know it can get really cold in Wisconsin, Illinois, NY, PA and the US midwest, and in western Canada as well. Any of you guys got stories?

Joe

I am less that 1 degree of longitude south of you so it's just as cold here.

Last week it hit -29 F (without the wind chill) -34 C in my back yard!

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 03-04-2015, 02:50 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Hey Scott, Gordy, where are you guys? I'm interested in the southern states too..........has it been unseasonably cold down there?
Old 03-04-2015, 03:43 PM
Master Modeler

Here in Cow Hampshire, U.S., February had only three days above freezing, barely above freezing.

It hit 41° here today, a real heatwave.

Last edited by dlazarus6660 : 03-04-2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:09 PM
Almost shovel ready

Weather summary for north Texas: The rest of this afternoon and tonight it's going to blow. Tomorrow will suck which will then be followed my more blowing and sucking until June when it once again reaches 100 + where it will remain until October.

http://www.weather.gov/
Old 03-04-2015, 04:25 PM
Dazed and Confused

We have rain here right now. It will switch to freezing rain and sleet within the hour, with a nice topping of snow later tonight. The ice line is now about 3-4 miles from the house according to enhanced radar. Forecasts have ranged from 1/4" of ice and 4" of snow to over an inch of ice and 7" of snow, with a low of 18° F.

Thankfully, tomorrow night's forecast of 0° F has been upgraded to 4° F. The last time we had a low of 4° F a couple months back, we had a house fire with the associated frozen gear, lines, etc.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:56 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Hey Scott, Gordy, where are you guys? I'm interested in the southern states too..........has it been unseasonably cold down there?

Joe, I'm 350 miles west of you (560km) and about 80 miles (128km) south.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 03-04-2015, 04:58 PM
Rocket & RC Heli Freak

I dunno, I'm sitting here in just a pair of shorts with the ceiling fan on and the AC running. I think we hit about 86 today. Right now it's 80 outside and 81 inside, better go bump up the AC.
"A truth’s initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed. When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic."

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."
Old 03-04-2015, 05:12 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:

In Pennsylvania a few miles from the Ohio line, 8 miles South of the shores of Lake Erie.