Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Old School Rocketeer

Default Potential new kit in the works...

After getting back into the hobby after a 17-year hiatus, I've come to be a bit put out by the lack of really imaginitive sci-fi kits out there. I've scoured through the current offerings and have found a gem here or there (the FlisKits Stingray being the best IMHO), but haven't found one that really captures the old vibe I'm looking for.

I've always been more partial to the short, squat "combat-fighter" look. My favorites were ones like the Estes Attack Craft Orion (#1374), Xarconian Destroyer (#1903), and the Skytracer (#1361). Click on this link; http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rock...83/83est34.html
and then leaf through the next few pages. Not a "normal" looking one in the bunch.

I sat down and made a list of all the ones I liked the most, and it finally hit me what it was. Every model that appealed to me had a unique (i.e. non-symmetrical) nose cone. The Orion has the trapezoid shaped cone and the Xarconian has that big cockpit design that each only appeared a couple of other times. The Skytracer cone got used a bit more (9 others, I think).

I thought it would be really cool to try an create some new sci-fi designs, but the limitation is these unique nose cones that I'm partial to. Well, during the recent holiday I came across a stash (48 cones) of the PNC-50 trapezoidal-shaped cone. After debating the pros and cons of what it would take to produce a kit, I went ahead and bought all 48, figuring that if I didn't make a kit, I could always sell of the cones.

I've always had an idea in my head for this particular cone, but never really had the impetus to try it. Now, having 48 of 'em sitting in a box, I built up the shape that this nose cone always reminded me of. Anybody like old Clint Eastwood movies?

Here she is, the MiG-31 FireFox. I wanted to get folks impressions of whether this would be a kit that you would like to see available. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
EV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  firefox2.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  48.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  dsc00979.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  59.1 KB  
Old 12-02-2005, 12:19 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Looks good, might be interested in buying the kit if reasonable.
If it's old AND Clint Eastwood, it's gotta be good !
Of course you will have to follow this up with a "western" theme rocket tri-pak named...."The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly"

Now for the 64 dollar question.......is it stable (have you flown it yet?) ?

What is proposed for power ? 18mm ? 24mm ?

I know this is probably too much to ask, but this would not happen to be a pod-ejecting boost-glider (ala Astron Skydart) would it ?
I assume recovery is more the more "traditional" parachute

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 12-02-2005, 02:47 PM
Compulsive BAR

Send a message via MSN to Bob Thomas Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Thomas

Excellent Idea, cone would be great, especially if pop-pod glide recovery. I have also entertained a Firefox theme, but it was based on a bash of the Sunward Sukhoi SU-47 kit. Have also wondered what that cone would look like on a SCORPIUS Estes 1375 http://www.oldrocketplans.com/estes/est1375/est1375.htm bash. Maybe chop the tail and end the dowels with a thrust ring. (can you say... "Star Wars"?)
Old 12-03-2005, 12:12 AM
Old School Rocketeer

Yeah, she's stable! Two beautiful flights on a B6-4 and a C6-3. Standard recovery via 12" chute. It's getting its second coat of primer right now. More to follow....

Later,
EV
Old 12-03-2005, 07:32 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoVictor
I've always been more partial to the short, squat "combat-fighter" look...like the Estes Attack Craft Orion (#1374), Xarconian Destroyer (#1903), and the Skytracer (#1361).

I sat down and made a list of all the ones... that appealed to me had a unique (i.e. non-symmetrical) nose cone...

Well, during the recent holiday I came across a stash (48 cones) of the PNC-50 trapezoidal-shaped cone...I went ahead and bought all 48...

Here she is, the MiG-31 FireFox. I wanted to get folks impressions of whether this would be a kit that you would like to see available. Please let me know what you think.

Looks promising, EV. Any flight specs you can share? Great to read you've flight-tested it already, and that it appears to be stable.

Just from the raw bones photo, I'd think there would be an appeal to a good portion of builders. Looks like it would have fit in quite well with the old Centuri Fighter Series, even if it is a fantasy fighter.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635