Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
THEE ONLY car built by Chevrolet that was worse than the Chevette was the 3-cylinder 1.0L Chevy Sprint/Geo Metro.
All three were total POS turds that were good for nuthin' but running off cliffs ala Wile E. Coyote style. Total embarassment to the Chevy name.

I'd nominate the Monza hatchback as well - any car you have to pull the engine out to change the spark plugs is a really p** poor design! Thankfully, I had the coupe instead, and it was TOTALLY different!
Old 02-05-2012, 10:00 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Chevy has done well leveraging CHEV - eg, Chevelle - and VETTE - eg, Corvette. But when they put the two together to make Chevette, it was a marriage made in Hades.

I had a colleague in St Louis who told tales of woe about his Chevette. He said it had a hard time making highway speeds - and this was back in the days of 55mph speed limits He referred to it as the Shove-it. He said that was about the only way to get it going quickly - shove it

Doug

I had a friend who had a Chevette. I rode home from work with him once and couldn't put my feet side by side on the floor of the passenger seat. Pretty sad excuse for a car.
We test drove a new Toyota Tercel once and got passed going uphill on the interstate by a Chevette. (The locally famed "Cut In The Hill" south of Cincinnati on I-75.) I took the next exit, drove back to the dealer, and bought a Mazda Protege instead.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 02-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Master Modeler

There was a Chevette in a recent episode of the NBC series "Grimm." Other than that I rarely see one on the road. I think they maybe extinct.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:47 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism
There was a Chevette in a recent episode of the NBC series "Grimm." Other than that I rarely see one on the road. I think they maybe extinct.

They rare, but are slightly more common than the Chrysler K-car. It was a terrible car but saved them from oblivion because they sold the crap out of them. What's funny is that I see more AMC Pacers and Grimlins than either the K-car or the Chevette.
When I was in college, our campus police drove K-cars. We could outrun them on foot for a pretty good distance...talk about acceleration!
Old 02-06-2012, 01:04 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
They rare, but are slightly more common than the Chrysler K-car. It was a terrible car but saved them from oblivion because they sold the crap out of them. What's funny is that I see more AMC Pacers and Grimlins than either the K-car or the Chevette.
When I was in college, our campus police drove K-cars. We could outrun them on foot for a pretty good distance...talk about acceleration!
The Canadian television program "The Red Green Show" went through quite a few K-cars, which were "sacrificed" to serve as the bases of Red's junkyard invention projects... Also:
Quote:
I saw a dog catch one of those and bury it. I had always wondered what dogs would do if they actually caught a car. <insert Steven Wright face>
I wonder if he still walks his dog on the ledge outside the windows of his high-rise apartment because (as he said), "Some people are afraid of heights--I'm afraid of widths." :-) In addition:

His car modification that he once mentioned (and knowing him, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually tried it, at least briefly) was...unique: "I got tired of people always passing me, so I replaced my car's headlights with strobe lights--now when I drive at night, I'm the only one who's moving..."
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 02-06-2012 at 01:16 AM. Reason: This ol' hoss done forgot somethin'.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:14 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:

The platform of the K-car spun off about 10 other Chrysler models. I even had an E-Class for a very short time.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:20 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
The Canadian television program "The Red Green Show" went through quite a few K-cars, which were "sacrificed" to serve as the bases of Red's junkyard invention projects...

I occasionally catch the show on our local PBS station. He's the king of duct tape!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism
The platform of the K-car spun off about 10 other Chrysler models. I even had an E-Class for a very short time.

I hope it had a stronger engine than our campus police cars. I'm not joking about outrunning them! Not that I've ever done that personally.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Master Modeler

Check out this video from the Top Gear guys as they drive the classic British 3-wheeled car, the Reliant Robin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8
Old 02-07-2012, 07:18 PM
Master Modeler

Default I met...

I met Steven Wright once, he was so excited!

My favorite of his jokes, I named my dog "stay"... come, stay!

I was walking in the woods and a tree fell down in front of me, it didn't make a sound!