Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2012, 05:42 PM
Master Modeler

Default I'm hoping...

I'm hoping like a few years ago, If people stop buying gas(driving) the price will plummett again and there will be a glut of oil. It worked once, it will work again.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:20 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

What can we do to change the gas price? Our own goverment will not help us. As a nation our gas useage is down a lot but the price keeps climbing. I know for sure if I own a car that gets 60mpg they will raise the price to $7 a gallon. The only thing that I see to do is cut spending else where and pay the high gas price.
GP
Old 02-14-2012, 07:18 PM
NAR Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire
What can we do to change the gas price? Our own goverment will not help us. As a nation our gas useage is down a lot but the price keeps climbing. I know for sure if I own a car that gets 60mpg they will raise the price to $7 a gallon. The only thing that I see to do is cut spending else where and pay the high gas price.
GP

Our government is not supposed to "help" us when it comes to gas prices. According to certain political affiliates the "free market" is supposed to govern the price of gas. So if you use less and the supply goes up prices should go down but that has not happened because the oil companies can just sell it overseas to people that will pay the higher price. The mantra "Drill baby, drill" that was repeated several months and years ago was an idea that if American oil companies could get no cost leases from the government to drill for oil in government lands we could lower the price of gas at the pump. Not going to happen. All that would do is allow the American oil companies to drill and pump out oil in public lands at no cost or compensation to the American public but they get to sell it to foreign companies and other countries to make bigger profits. The problem is that the "free market" does not exist like we were taught in school, the oil companies as a group through interactions through and by their industry lobby manipulate the suppy and price of oil. They maintain this power by "lobbying" our government (paying huge sums for campaign contributions, congressional vacations, conferences held in vacation resorts, etc.).

NAR Level 1 - 3/12/11
NAR Level 2 - 4/9/11

Last edited by RandyT0001 : 02-14-2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Not sayin' :P
Old 02-14-2012, 09:02 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyT0001
Our government is not supposed to "help" us when it comes to gas prices. According to certain political affiliates the "free market" is supposed to govern the price of gas. So if you use less and the supply goes up prices should go down but that has not happened because the oil companies can just sell it overseas to people that will pay the higher price. The mantra "Drill baby, drill" that was repeated several months and years ago was an idea that if American oil companies could get no cost leases from the government to drill for oil in government lands we could lower the price of gas at the pump. Not going to happen. All that would do is allow the American oil companies to drill and pump out oil in public lands at no cost or compensation to the American public but they get to sell it to foreign companies and other countries to make bigger profits. The problem is that the "free market" does not exist like we were taught in school, the oil companies as a group through interactions through and by their industry lobby manipulate the suppy and price of oil. They maintain this power by "lobbying" our government (paying huge sums for campaign contributions, congressional vacations, conferences held in vacation resorts, etc.).

How about the government getting out of the way so that private companies can invest their own money to build a pipeline and bring oil from Canada down to our refineries?

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 02-14-2012, 09:05 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
I'm hoping like a few years ago, If people stop buying gas(driving) the price will plummett again and there will be a glut of oil. It worked once, it will work again.

I laugh whenever someone proposes that we do not buy any gas on a specified day. People will simply buy it the day before or the day after. If, however, we all decide we will not drive anywhere on a specified weekend, that will be noticed. Not immediately, but the sum total of the gas sales for the week before and after will both be down somewhat.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 02-14-2012, 09:08 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohetero-negro
Electric vehicles are a HOAX! They were first tried at the turn of the 20th Century and now at the turn of the 21st Century and they are still crap. Chevy Volt gets about 19 miles on a charge ..

It's worse than that. There is currently a tax break of $10,000 for buying a Volt. And studies have shown that most of those buying the Volt are the wealthy since only they can afford to spend that much. When can we see the Occupy protesting that subsidy to the top 1%?

Bill

Old 02-14-2012, 09:40 PM
NAR Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
How about the government getting out of the way so that private companies can invest their own money to build a pipeline and bring oil from Canada down to our refineries?

Bill

Are you arguing that by building this pipeline to bring Canada's oil down to our refineries it will lower the price of gas at the pump in the US?

Or

Are you arguing that the government should permit these private companies to build the pipeline, refine the oil from Canada and sell it on the open market to foreign countries for enhanced profits?

As an aside:
One of the reasons repeatedly offered by the oil industry for the increase in the price of gas in the US is that we have a shortage of refineries due to EPA regulations, spring maintenance, etc. but we have plenty of extra refinery capacity to handle all of the Canadian oil once the pipeline is built. Oxymoron, anyone?

NAR Level 1 - 3/12/11
NAR Level 2 - 4/9/11
Old 02-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Trust me, it'll work!

"Oxymoron, anyone?"

That has been my point all along! We don't need more oil, we need a new refinery. If they have the money to build this pipeline, why doesn't Canada invest that into a refinery up there?

And many other questions that no one is willing to ask...
Old 02-14-2012, 10:01 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill

Bill

Sounds nice until you actually look at the facts. The Canadians have said that they want to pipe the oil from their oil fields to the gulf where they can either have it refined and ship the refined product to foreign markets OR just ship the raw crude to foreign markets. They have NO plans to use any of that here. And if we don't build the pipeline? Why they'll just build it west across Canada to the west coast and ship it out there. So why do they want to build it to the gulf? I'm thinking (and this is only my conjecture) that it's more a matter of the NIMBY syndrome - if they build it across Canada and something goes wrong, they'll have to clean up their own back yard. If, on the other hand, we build the pipeline for them and something goes wrong, we get to muck up our own land and the Canadians don't have to do a thing. Other than a handful of jobs building it (temporary jobs that will go away as soon as it's done) we get very little reward and all the risk. Yeah - that's a win/win for sure!
Old 02-14-2012, 10:45 PM
Banned

personally guys, and this is just me, I believe the federal government doesn't mind the higher gas prices as it increases tax revenue.

For every dollar of gas that is sold, the feds make and average of $0.25, so the feds really don't mind collecting taxes in another fashion.

J