Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Craftsman

Send a message via ICQ to Swillie

I have the kit now..... heavy duty stuff compared to the paper tubes I am used to!! Anyway I have ordered a few extras, decals from Excelsior, kevlar chute protector, 30" chute from rocketchutes. Only thing I am waiting on is a pair of Estes pro series 29mm motor retainers.
There in lies the question, what should I use to adhere it to the fiberglass motor mount tube. I am guessing it is plastic. I also am guessing it is sized to go on a heavy duty paper tube which would be thicker than the fiberglass in the HoJo so it may fit a little loose. Epoxy?? JBweld?? Any suggestions welcome as I have never worked with these materials before.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:09 AM
Master Modeler

Actually the fiberglass motor tubes are a tad thicker then the paper equivalent...That said, recommended adhesive for the retainer, I would think, would be JB Weld...
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 03-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Craftsman

well I kind of screwed up ....just realized my kit came with a 38 millimeter motor mount....I suppose I'll have to purchase an adapter to step it down to the 29 millimeter motors ...at least if I ever decide I want the flying on something bigger than a g motor I know I can . do they make a 38 motor retainer that would accommodate an adapter and 29 motor ?
Old 03-29-2012, 03:00 PM
Level 3

Aeropac is the way to go. Great stuff.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:48 PM
Craftsman

From what I understand looking online...
I install a standard Aero Pack 38mm screw on type retainer. (do 38mm motors have a thrust ring on them to hold the engine aft?? Also 38mm motors would mean I would need to achieve level 1 certification, right? This is all new ground for me, I thought I was getting a 29mm kit.)

If I want to fly 29mm which would likely be the case, I simply place the motor in a 29mm to 38mm Aero Pack motor adapter. It looks as though the adapter comes with a spacer which you place in the 38mm retainer cap and screw the cap on.

Is this correct?? Where is the best site to shop for Aero Pack??

Thanks, I think I bit off more than I was ready to chew, but I might as well make this thing right.

Steve
Old 03-29-2012, 05:22 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swillie
From what I understand looking online...
I install a standard Aero Pack 38mm screw on type retainer. (do 38mm motors have a thrust ring on them to hold the engine aft??

Reloadable motors do. There may be some single use motors which require that you wrap some tape around the nozzle end to make a thrust ring.

Quote:
Also 38mm motors would mean I would need to achieve level 1 certification, right? This is all new ground for me, I thought I was getting a 29mm kit.)

There are a few 38mm mid-power motors. The single grain Pro-38 comes to mind.

Quote:
If I want to fly 29mm which would likely be the case, I simply place the motor in a 29mm to 38mm Aero Pack motor adapter. It looks as though the adapter comes with a spacer which you place in the 38mm retainer cap and screw the cap on.

Is this correct??

I originally said that is correct, but I reread your question. The adapter looks like an elongated spool with a larger ring at one of the ends - that end fits into the 38mm retainer. I do not recall there being a spacer.

But you will want to check with a local vendor to see whether the motor casing you have or intend to get will fit correctly. This design was originally for AT hardware. I do not know whether a CTI Pro-29 casing will fit.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...

Last edited by Bill : 03-29-2012 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Added a disclaimer
Old 03-30-2012, 06:43 AM
Master Modeler

CTI 29MM cases will fit in the Aeropac 29/38 adapter.
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 03-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Craftsman

Well its been awhile, but I finally have gotten around to building some rockets. This was my first time using epoxy extensively and I really have come to love that stuff. It made awesome fillets, smoothest I have ever made. Its primed and painted and ready for decals. I am using the white Estes Maxi Brute from Sandman. What I need to find is some reference pictures or a guide to help with decal placement. If anyone can steer me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking I might go ahead and Level 1 Cert with this thing this year.

Steve.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:23 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

This does show the decal location...something like second or third page from the end.

http://www.estesrockets.com/media/i...HONEST_JOHN.pdf

Ok, maybe the fourth page from the end.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 03-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Craftsman

Well that is exactly what I needed alright. Thank you !!