Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2012, 09:35 PM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Default Estes Rigel-3, #1363

This note isn't so much a plans issue but rather something akin to an addendum.

While working on our Rigel-3 I found some issues with the die-cut fin parts provided in the original kit. The article attached is something I prepared for our Club Newsletter, but I thought the info might be of use to the community at large.

Now that Estes has recreated the Rigel-3/Odyssey nose cone (available in the new Dark Star kit), perhaps this info may be of use to those of you that had contemplated building a Rigel-3 at some point. There's a rumor that Carl might produce fins for a clone one day...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Rigel-3.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  257.4 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fin Finesse.pdf (555.1 KB, 233 views)
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 09-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Creator of 'STONE TREK'

I wouldn't mind trying to clone this one myself!
Great job an that build.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:02 PM
Master Modeler

Sigh - another to add to the list...

Very nicely done!
In finishing: Centuri Sabre clone
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 09-16-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanel
Sigh - another to add to the list...

Very nicely done!

Thanks Bill!

The Rigel-3 is a model that's been on my list for a long time, and I finally got around to it this past year. I thought that the decals would be the high risk component in the model because of their age, but as it turned out it was the aforementioned fin parts and the wood dowels that are used for the struts. The dowels in my kit were quite warped after 30 years of kit stagnation. I replaced those with carbon fiber tubes, which made for a strong and straight substitution.

The kit decals worked very well, but I had to be a bit patient with them; it took a good minute's soak for the adhesive to soften enough to slide each one off its paper backing. But other than the soaking time, they worked great - no tears, no cracks, no problems.

One word of caution though about those corrected fin parts. Carefully built they tighten up the joint between the sustainer and booster fins quite well. But one has to keep in mind that there will be some paint build up, and so this has to be allowed for in the construction or things get too tight. One would prefer to have the booster actually separate when that upper stage engine ignites!

I must mention that Ray King also built and entered a beautifully rendered Rigel-3 for C Division, and his turned out very well. I was fortunate that he was competing in a different Division!

I've always thought the Rigel-3 to be one of Estes' more elegant futuristic designs, made more so with that unique nose. Now that Estes has the nose retooled and re-released as part of the new Dark Star kit, perhaps more folks now will have the chance to clone this great Old Rocket.
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 09-16-2012, 07:21 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm

While working on our Rigel-3 I found some issues with the die-cut fin parts provided in the original kit. The article attached is something I prepared for our Club Newsletter, but I thought the info might be of use to the community at large.

Now that Estes has recreated the Rigel-3/Odyssey nose cone (available in the new Dark Star kit), perhaps this info may be of use to those of you that had contemplated building a Rigel-3 at some point. There's a rumor that Carl might produce fins for a clone one day...

That's awesome! Until this moment I had no idea that it used decals like the Starship Vega. Are they the same or just close?

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 09-16-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
That's awesome! Until this moment I had no idea that it used decals like the Starship Vega. Are they the same or just close?

Hi Bill;

Similar, in that there's that recurring '3" theme (I've always wondered what the deal was with '3' at Estes, but I suppose I'll never know), and there's the similarity in the striping and logo layout, but that's about where it ends. If you check closely you'll note that the logo inserts the name of the particular rocket (Vega vs Rigel-3), the shape of the fin decals is adjusted to suit the outline of the respective fins, and the Vega mainly uses black as the accent color, whereas the Rigel-3 uses blue.

Nevertheless, there's definitely a common thread, no doubt intended as part of the exotic interplanetary starship theme. Would make for a nice display to have the two sitting side by side, no?
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 09-16-2012, 10:18 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Hi Bill;

Similar, in that there's that recurring '3" theme (I've always wondered what the deal was with '3' at Estes, but I suppose I'll never know), and there's the similarity in the striping and logo layout, but that's about where it ends. If you check closely you'll note that the logo inserts the name of the particular rocket (Vega vs Rigel-3), the shape of the fin decals is adjusted to suit the outline of the respective fins, and the Vega mainly uses black as the accent color, whereas the Rigel-3 uses blue.

Nevertheless, there's definitely a common thread, no doubt intended as part of the exotic interplanetary starship theme. Would make for a nice display to have the two sitting side by side, no?

Now that you mention it, I do remember that logo on my Super Vega having the name of the rocket in it. I printed off a set of waterslide decals for the SV because I didn't trust the 20+ year old stickers. I need to get serious about getting them sealed and applied before our (possible) launch in two weeks. It's been since early September of 2001 since the maiden flight, so I guess the paint has cured.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 09-16-2012, 11:43 PM
I do not like Facebook

I have flight pictures of the one which flew late in the day. Was that yours or the other one?

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 09-17-2012, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
I have flight pictures of the one which flew late in the day. Was that yours or the other one?

Bill

Mine flew in the afternoon, and after Ray's, so quite possibly it was mine.
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 10-09-2012, 05:34 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Default Rigel

Quote:

I still have my Rigel 3, and my old Odyssey which uses same NC as u kno-did u kno tho, that the Decals on the 2 are different-Rigel is Blue, Odyssey is Black, well, is on mine. BTW, NICE kits in background pic ! -Farside X, etc.