Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2006, 05:56 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Exclamation Wood Hardener and Gluing Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thomas
I could try the MINWAX wood hardener that I used on the outside, it should work as well for penetration (which it does well). I don't know what they put in that stuff, but when I have used it on balsa cones, it makes the cone considerably more resilient. It is a thinned resin made to harden rotted wood. It seems to work well on paper so far, just don't know about its Glue-ability.
Bob,

I also use the MinWax Wood Hardener on the exposed portions of balsa cones and transitions/reducers. However, I found out that what the wood hardener does is that it fills up the pores in the wood, which is where you want the glue to penetrate.

As a result, I'd be concerned that if the wood hardener penetrated all the way to the "gluing" side, that the glue probably wouldn't work. --That's my extrapolation, anyway.

(Announcer's voice) "Bob Thomas benefits from Jay's analytical TV news brain!"

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 12-30-2006, 06:12 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thomas
It's not really a question as much as an exclamation. I am in the middle of no less than three rockets when I receive a vision for a certain OOP rocket which stymies many builders only for its wraps. As many of you will attest, you can actually fall asleep thinking about a problem and figure it out somewhere between REM and waking. The visions I had were just for the wraps of this rocket. I woke up searching my house for thin cardboard, the corrugated paper sandwich type. I needed it very thin and found what I needed in one of those chimney sweeping log cartons. I soaked the outer layer by laying it on a wet paper towel for about ten minutes and then peeled away the outer layer to reveal a very tight ripple. After trimming to size, then finding, grinding and sanding the perfect diameter dowels, toothpicks and bamboo Barbeque skewers, I glued them in place. Next, a liberal coating of wood hardener on the exposed side (for stiffness) and some brush on primer. I was so impressed, I immediately took a picture to show my teachers, er...um..., You guys. I don't claim to have invented anything new, but I have never read about it or seen this done and with such great results. The bottom wrap is still drying.

I hope you like.

My only fear is the ply on the cardboard may separate if I attach the wrap with white or yellow glue. I might need something more penetrating or maybe pretreat with CA and then 3M the bonding surface. Waddya think?

I'll also be needing some input or your thoughts on whether I should complete the rocket as per the posted instructions, or use a single length for tubing. I intend to baffle, upgrade to 24mm and maybe basswood fins. I've already retouched the Decals and drawn the exhaust cone. The tubing, baffle, mount and cones are courtesy of SEMROC. Might try TTW with basswood or balsa and maybe interchangeable mount. Maybe not. I'm a little chicken now because the wrap is sooooo cooool, I don't want to mess up the rest of the build, which is now officially started!!!

WOW! I didn't read this until after I read your PM. You're WAY beyond what I did. I just skipped the wraps. Sounds like you're going the same route as I did otherwise with the baffles and 24mm power.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 12-30-2006, 07:02 PM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy

Cheers,

Just as we all do, Jay. Just as we all do.
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 12-30-2006, 09:23 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Talking Evil Chuckle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
Just as we all do, Jay. Just as we all do.
(WAY inside "Mu-Tater" joke Of course, it *could* have been all of those radioactive spuds I ate when I was growing up.

When Potatoes Emit a Greenish Glow

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 12-31-2006, 04:13 PM
Compulsive BAR

Send a message via MSN to Bob Thomas Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy

Cheers,

YES I DO

I set up a test of the material with a CA coating and with the MINWAX resin coating. Both were glued to a scrap tube (unsanded) with both white glue and Weldwood contact cement.

Its been 12 hours and the weldwood holds both, the minwax held with white glue and the CA had a weak bond with white glue.

I actually pulled both pieces off the body tube and rated it by how much of the glassine/body tube tore off.

The Contact cement was by far more damaging to the body tube. I will go with the minwax - weldwood combo.

Curiously, as was noted earlier about the MINWAX penetration, the ply of paper does get a little thicker after absorbing the resin, making it a little more prominant of a seam/shoulder at the body tube, but still looks great. The CA coating did not swell the paper but it was stiffer and since white glue wont bond to it, neither will fill'n finish, should I need to fill any seam anomalies or repair any damage.

Bob
Old 12-31-2006, 07:36 PM
Dazed and Confused

Looking foward to seeing the finished bird. You are welcome to come visit me in TN and I'll take lots of pictures of the maiden flight for you.

I've driven to Batavia, NY....it's a looooooooooooong way!
Old 01-01-2007, 01:08 PM
Compulsive BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Looking foward to seeing the finished bird. You are welcome to come visit me in TN and I'll take lots of pictures of the maiden flight for you.

I've driven to Batavia, NY....it's a looooooooooooong way!

I once made a New York to Dallas run in under 22 hrs., when I was 22. THAT was a Loooooooooooong time ago!

Pics will be posted when you guys teach me how you get from launch to apogee closeups. I may just shoot video and capture some frames so you can see a white blur and trust my description of how nice the flights went!!

Bob
Old 01-02-2007, 11:35 PM
BP Mafia

Bob,
These may be some of the pics I used to help with decal placement. Don't know where I found them or I'd give credit, but they're on my screen saver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Vintage Orion 02sm.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  319.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Vintage Orion 03sm.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  297.0 KB  

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 01-03-2007, 03:12 AM
Compulsive BAR

Default I remember those

Part of the reason for this build are those pictures and the "finds on E-bay" post. Every time I run through the Forum or browse ninfinger, I am inspired to take on a new project. You all know the feeling. Except for the Photon Probe which I first saw on Ninfinger and downloaded from JimZ. Once it was mentioned in a post, I had to drop everything to avoid feeling like an "also ran". Please keep the pictures coming. I have an extensive inventory of tubes to use up.

Any more pictures out there would be more than welcome, not just Orions for this thread, everything you have. I will keep an eye out.

Bob
Old 01-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Compulsive BAR

Default Near Heart Attack

The Post with the pics above almost stopped my heart. I just attached the pods and was sitting back reviewing the pictures and noticed the Pod stand-off was inverted. Hole-ee Smoke , I must've done it wrong. Check, re-check and once again to lower my adrenaline, I had done it right. The Orion pic above is the non-conformist.

Measure twice (at least) cut once. Thanks for the excitement.