Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Bob,
These may be some of the pics I used to help with decal placement. Don't know where I found them or I'd give credit, but they're on my screen saver.

Bill, those pics were either posted here, on TRF, or linked on Old Rockets. I'm not sure which place I saw them, but I remember the naked nosecone. Like that really helps you. Doh!
Old 01-03-2007, 08:23 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Bill, those pics were either posted here, on TRF, or linked on Old Rockets. I'm not sure which place I saw them, but I remember the naked nosecone. Like that really helps you. Doh!

The rocket belonged to Phred from Excelsior. I just ran across them on my screen saver at work and thought Bob might be able to use them. If you do a search on "Orion" here, the post shows up toward the page bottom.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 01-03-2007, 09:30 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thomas
The Post with the pics above almost stopped my heart. I just attached the pods and was sitting back reviewing the pictures and noticed the Pod stand-off was inverted. Hole-ee Smoke , I must've done it wrong. Check, re-check and once again to lower my adrenaline, I had done it right. The Orion pic above is the non-conformist.

Measure twice (at least) cut once. Thanks for the excitement.

Sharp eye. I looked at those pictures twice before you mentioned it and I didn't notice the difference. Of course I was looking mostly at the compound nose cone which I've mentioned in these threads many moons ago.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Compulsive BAR

Send a message via MSN to Bob Thomas Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Thomas
Default Its a guy thing.

I never noticed it before the build, and only when I was at the pod stage did it click. It reminds me of my teen years when I fell in love with a girl with the most flawless face I ever saw. I was so enamored that it took a few dates to discover Her tail pod was somewhat inverted!!!! Once your perception of perfection is scuttled, flaws become quite prominant.

Anyway, the build progresses, slight delays for repair of a poorly laminated fin and spent a whole night scaling the redrawn decals. The wraps went on well with contact cement, with a leading and trailing edge fillet of white glue. All but the internals are attached. I am thinking of setting the baffle and mmt assembly with polyurethene ULTIMATE glue. It is always a problem when I install a tight mount or baffle, the white or yellow glue starts to grab before its in the right place. More than one smaller kit has the tell-tale extended motor mount of quick setting glue. Using the Ultimate glue its more like a lubricant when placing it, lots of time to wiggle it into optimum position. It also tends to expand, but I never noticed any tube bulge or it pushing out of position.

If anyone has a "Don't Do It" warning like "it explodes when exposed to ejection heat" let me know quick. I intend to paint the body and Cone next, the internals could wait I suppose. Plus, I am waiting for the baffle to dry, I painted it with high heat stove paint (couldn't hurt).

Bob
Old 01-04-2007, 08:06 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
I never noticed it before the build, and only when I was at the pod stage did it click. It reminds me of my teen years when I fell in love with a girl with the most flawless face I ever saw. I was so enamored that it took a few dates to discover Her tail pod was somewhat inverted!!!!

Uh. Tail pod?

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 01-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Compulsive BAR

Default Inverted tail pod

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Uh. Tail pod?

Specs called for her "Tail Pod" (wink, nudge) it to be heart shaped, but it was a flared pear shape - the shoulder of which extended far outside the body diameter. Still Confused??? I'm having fun with it!!

Bob
Old 01-04-2007, 09:12 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Specs called for her "Tail Pod" (wink, nudge) it to be heart shaped, but it was a flared pear shape - the shoulder of which extended far outside the body diameter. Still Confused??? I'm having fun with it!!

Bob

Nope. I'd better stop before I start here or I'm gonna find myself banned along with l2ltrade.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 01-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Out To Launch

I seem to have had the opposite problem on quite a few occassions. I find myself chasing a perfect-to-spec tailpod only to find that once I get a look at the front, the fore-end is way out of wack.
Established 1938
lladd.netau.net
Old 01-05-2007, 01:37 AM
Compulsive BAR

Default Back to Orion

Just some pics for you to see where I'm at. I would still like a comment on the Ultimate glue choice, if anyone has one. The mount is just friction fit for the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Rocket 001.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  45.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Rocket 002.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  48.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Rocket 005.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  56.2 KB  
Old 01-05-2007, 07:20 AM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Just some pics for you to see where I'm at. I would still like a comment on the Ultimate glue choice, if anyone has one. The mount is just friction fit for the pictures.

Bob,

Looking good. I've got so many projects and then you start this. I'm suppose to be working on Sandman's LTV Scout but I'm waiting for beta testing his Nike-Hercules Can't wait to see the finished picks of this one. As for glue, I like the Weld-Tite but it has the tendency to grab. Ailene's Tacky glue is my second choice (I like the glue syringe for getting the glue to those hard to reach areas and with the minimum amount). Good luck.