Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2014, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Though far from complete, Carl was working on an ambitions database of kits and the equivalent Semroc parts to clone one. The link is on the main page, but here is the direct link,http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/ClassicKits.asp

The nice thing about it is the Semroc part numbers give you length of most of the tubes you need to clone something, though like I mentioned above, it is far from complete. It would be great if this could be archived somewhere after the Semroc site shuts down.

Buzz
Old 03-16-2014, 07:44 PM
NAR # 19250 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
Oh so it was YOU sucking up all the Semroc server bandwidth.

You started this, so don't go blaming me. . ..
A dark night in a city that knows how to keep its secrets. But high above the quiet streets on the 12th floor of the Acme Building, one man is still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions. Guy Noir, Private Eye.

Fox Valley Rocketeers: http://www.foxvalleyrocketeers.org
Old 03-17-2014, 11:38 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
Though far from complete, Carl was working on an ambitions database of kits and the equivalent Semroc parts to clone one. The link is on the main page, but here is the direct link,http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/ClassicKits.asp

The nice thing about it is the Semroc part numbers give you length of most of the tubes you need to clone something, though like I mentioned above, it is far from complete. It would be great if this could be archived somewhere after the Semroc site shuts down.

Buzz

^This.^

I was going to post that, but Buzz gives it much more credibility.

The "Classics" database is a treasure trove. Whatever is known, is pretty much there.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:41 PM
Master Modeler

Semroc was a massive asset to scratch builders, especially people like me who wanted to clone old classics. I remember before they came along how difficult it could be to find specific nose cones, body tubes or transitions. Centuri was especially hard since leftover Estes "stuff" was more available than was say, a section of ST-20. I remember paying through the nose for some long pieces of ST-10 just to clone an old kit.

Semroc is going to be missed a lot by people like me.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:50 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtschachner
Semroc was a massive asset to scratch builders, especially people like me who wanted to clone old classics. I remember before they came along how difficult it could be to find specific nose cones, body tubes or transitions. Centuri was especially hard since leftover Estes "stuff" was more available than was say, a section of ST-20. I remember paying through the nose for some long pieces of ST-10 just to clone an old kit.

Semroc is going to be missed a lot by people like me.
Before Semroc, I bought parts from BMS and Totally Tubular. I think TT is no longer in biz, but BMS has added lots of parts over the years and compares very favorably with Semroc.

The big diff, I suppose, is that Semroc will cut to length whereas Bill pretty much sells only the full length tubes. That's not a problem for me and many others who can cut our own. And maybe this is a business opportunity for someone to sell a tube cutting machine for the rest

Doug
YORF member #11
Old 03-17-2014, 02:37 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Before Semroc, I bought parts from BMS and Totally Tubular. I think TT is no longer in biz, but BMS has added lots of parts over the years and compares very favorably with Semroc.

The big diff, I suppose, is that Semroc will cut to length whereas Bill pretty much sells only the full length tubes. That's not a problem for me and many others who can cut our own. And maybe this is a business opportunity for someone to sell a tube cutting machine for the rest

Doug

Randy Boadway at erockets http://www.erockets.biz/body-tubes/?sort=featured purchased totally tubular and has them available on his web site.

Sheryl did the tube cutting for SEMROC. They had a jig with various delrin mandrils she used to cut tubes.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 03-17-2014, 02:50 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
Sheryl did the tube cutting for SEMROC. They had a jig with various delrin mandrils she used to cut tubes.
The new buyer can purchase the top 20 sizes cut to net length by the supplier for essentially no net cost.

Quote:
That's not a problem for me and many others who can cut our own. And maybe this is a business opportunity for someone to sell a tube cutting machine for the rest
Doug
http://www.apogeerockets.com/Buildi...uhn_Tube_Cutter

http://www.rocketryforum.com/archiv...php/t-9008.html

Tech Jerry
Old 03-17-2014, 03:41 PM
Master Modeler

Does BMS still use that super-soft balsa though? Back in the day he used to offer them in harder balsa but stopped. That was the reason I quit buying from them.

Quote:

Doug
Old 03-17-2014, 04:37 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Does BMS still use that super-soft balsa though? Back in the day he used to offer them in harder balsa but stopped. That was the reason I quit buying from them.
Hi, Kurt,

Not sure. I haven't bought any from him in a while.

I wonder if the change in balsa demand caused by windmills played a part in this...

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 03-17-2014, 04:39 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:

I'm not sure but BMS no longer does semi-custom work like they used to. Only the stock balsa parts now.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558