Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2014, 12:50 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrox
Sadly true. Every new ad or intrusion is a "mistake" or "wrong setting" and then "give us time".

LOL... they're doing it now with the SUBSCRIBERS... (members, or WTF ever they call them).

Poor Gagnon is really getting perturbed about it too... Posting he still sees ads, and they're not working fast enough to fix it, the old "gimme time" routine...

Then the admin comes back, "sorry, I coach my girl's softball team-- didn't see your messages right away... fix coming soon..." REALLY?? THIS IS FRIGGIN *BUSINESS* NOW!!! That's what you're turning it INTO... so why don't you TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS...

Sort of like the discussions that have been going on with folks griping about Red Arrow's not letting them know that something's not in stock, and holding their order a month or two waiting for it to arrive, or just refunding it after a month or two and canceling the order...

Sorta comes down to "good, fast, cheap... PICK TWO"... Course TRF would be NOTHING without the contributions of the membership... contributions increasingly watered down by newbies talking solely about their TV, music, etc preferences, nonsense, and stupid mindless word games and such...

I answer questions and share experience and knowledge on the forums for the same reason LTVScout hosts it... 1) it's a hobby, and 2) to pay forward to folks who've taught ME lots of good information...

I don't look to be paid for my contributions, neither do I want my pocket picked while I make them...

That's the real difference...

Later! OL JR
Old 04-10-2014, 01:12 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy
Indeed!

I'm not going to get into it over there, this time.

I can write a clear and concise post, and it astounds me that people will misconstrue it and misinterpret it to suit themselves. Even when no interpretation is called for. Its detrimental my faith in people.

It's a wonder they haven't been fleeced long before now.

Exactly...

I've already cut my participation over there by probably half over the past few months... and probably will a lot more in the future...

The site is getting downright unreadable for me... maybe it's just me or my computer, but that's beside the point... this WHOLE SITUATION has been ENGINEERED by the new ownership, PERIOD. TRF worked JUST FINE (other than the famous double-standards in moderation that it's famous for) up until it got bought by this FOR PROFIT outfit awhile back... and of course Troj trots in at every complaint defending the new ownership (and thus his own selling-out of the forum) by calling any complaint or disagreement "getting the torches and pitchforks" type of crap...

I use internet explorer. There, I said it. I've used it for years. I've used Firefox some, when my old Dell was still alive and for some reason IE got so unstable it wouldn't even run on it anymore (a few months before the Dell itself went up in smoke). When I got a new laptop, IE works great, so I use it... Just my preference I guess... it's what I'm used to. It works FINE for 99.999% of the websites I care to read... so WHY should I have to learn to use something new, go to the trouble of installing Adblockers and add-ons and other rubbish just because one group of CROOKS buys up a site and turns it into a trashpile you have to sift through rubbish to read, and works pitifully slow??

When I browse the forums (and I browse quite a few, rocket and non-rocket alike) I NEVER have the kind of problems I have now with TRF... either with or without ads... When I browse, I open the browser, go to the forum, hit "new posts" and get the list, right-click the "new content" arrow by the thread title to open the pop-up command box, and hit "open in new tab" for that new content... I peruse the list of new posts (usually about 4-5 pages if I'm busy and cannot check TRF morning or evening, rarely over 1-2 pages here, usually about 1-2 pages on most other fora I visit, that aren't overrun with newbs posting crapola...) and open all the new threads and new posts I care to read in new tabs, usually between about 6-12 of them, and then hit "mark forums read" and close the original tab...and then read through the new posts tabs one by one, posting a reply if needed.

If I do that with TRF now, if I open more than 1-2 tabs, the machine gets so slow that if I then reply, the typing won't even appear on the screen-- it takes anywhere from 5-10 seconds after I type something for it to appear on screen, and my fan kicks on-- the AdChoices crap in every tab is overloading the machine to the point it can't even work right...NO other site on the net that I read regularly does that... So H3LL YEAH it's GOTTA be intentional.

I don't have time for that crap... and my already legendarily minimalist patience is practically gone as well...

And, foamy, you're right... increasingly, it doesn't matter WHAT you post, SOMEONE is going to launch into a flame war attacking you and twisting everything you say into some misconstrued mess... Of course unlike you I already have lost whatever semblance of faith in human nature I might once have possessed... other than for a few folks I know directly and indirectly from dealings right here on YORF... Especially drzooch, Jeffyjeep, blackshire, and a few others...

It's just really frustrating to see something that I've enjoyed and cared about being twisted into such a mess as it is... especially on the heels of losing the other forums like Rocketry Planet and RocketryOnline (although that one's been practically gone for a LONG time) and even Newton's Third...

God bless LTVScout for keeping YORF true and pure...

Later! OL JR
Old 04-10-2014, 01:44 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I like the "Good, Fast, Cheap-pick any TWO, but NEVER all three" comment from above.
The upper management at a certain automobile company can never seem to understand this most basic concept. Their philosophy is to "just beat on our suppliers more". Many are righteously starting to push back.
If you want it done 'good and fast' it ain't cheap.
If you want it done 'good and cheap' it ain't fast.
If you want it done 'cheap and fast' it ain't gonna be good.

The lunkheads/dullards/buffoons in upper management refuse to acknowledge the truth in this basic concept; they flat out ignore the logic of this and demand yearly price reductions of components. Ever wonder why there are so many recalls across the entire industry ? Something has to give. You can only pick two.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-10-2014, 03:26 PM
Skill Level VI

They are not the only forum doing this... I am on other forums that have the same software running them, and the same optional fee schedule. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
All you have to do is initiate and propagate a combustive reaction between kerosene and oxygen and direct the resultant gasses through a small aperture in a nozzle at supersonic speed without blowing the whole thing up. It's not rocket science!
Old 04-10-2014, 03:41 PM
Out to launch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx Mayhem
They are not the only forum doing this... I am on other forums that have the same software running them, and the same optional fee schedule. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

It's probably the same company that bought TRF, I hear some of the forums they run are just rediculous.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:43 PM
Master Modeler

Thank you Scott.

But now I wonder how many of those(insert word here) will be coming over to here?

Hey Scott, can you put a face palm icon in your lineup if it doesn't cost too much money?

Last edited by dlazarus6660 : 04-11-2014 at 04:28 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:49 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrog
It's probably the same company that bought TRF, I hear some of the forums they run are just rediculous.

Yep! One forum chased away most of it's users and went to another forum and begged for all to return and that "all" would be forgiven.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:09 PM
Out to launch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660

Yep! One forum chased away most of it's users and went to another forum and begged for all to return and that "all" would be forgiven.

It has to be a quite a balancing act to make the money and not run people off doing it. I installed the free ad block plus, took care of everything.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:13 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrog
I installed the free ad block plus, took care of everything.

Whats that?
Old 04-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Out to launch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
Whats that?

It's a free add-on that wipes your screen free of ads. Takes about a minute to install, works awesome. Just search "free ad block plus" and pick the one for your browser. Piece o' cake.