Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2014, 11:07 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

People Go To The Races To See The Crashes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  xprs.impact.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  66.8 KB  
Old 05-28-2014, 06:29 AM
Old BAR

I always like the "Show us your *its" signs in the infield. Especially when they do!!
Old 05-28-2014, 08:03 AM
Out to launch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
I always like the "Show us your *its" signs in the infield. Especially when they do!!

They do that at races? Reason enough to check it out I guess!
Old 05-28-2014, 09:37 AM
Almost shovel ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag

Yeah. We get lots of that at our launches.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:16 PM
Launching since 1970.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:24 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I don't have to answer jack-squat to GeoGass or anyone else to have an opinion.
I enjoy most all forms of motorsport racing but the less regulated (for safety or anything else) it is, the more likely I am to like it.
Most of the RACERS themselves do not like added regulation either. Many would like to return to the older days of very little regulation if you get them to talk 'off the record'.

Yes, I like the Busch Brothers "semi outlaw" brand of racing.
As Harry Hogg said "RUBBIN' IS RACIN' "
Dumbest thing Jack Roush has ever done was getting rid of Kurt Busch from Roush Racing.
Second dumbest thing he did was not offering a full Cup ride to Mark Martin until MARK was ready to retire.

Mark had no problem getting a ride with Hendrick Motorsports, which was a more winning team than Roush anyway. When Mark started running a Toyota (which should not even be allowed in NASCRAP) I had to stop pulling for him. He should have retired if not offered a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge ride.

I HATE how NASCRAP has become a Spec Series. Almost all the innovation by the TEAMS/OEM producers was taken away by the mid 1980's.
I for one would like it to go back to the early 70's rules where Big-Blocks were the norm, almost NOTHING was on the car unless it contributed to SPEED, and factory engineering was constantly trying to wring out more SPEED. Tell the Shyster Attorneys to pound sand. REFUSE to comply with ANY Insurance suggestions and send those clowns packin' too. Run whatcha brung, take the thrill-ride risk or GO HOME.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 05-28-2014, 06:46 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Second dumbest thing [Roush] did was not offering a full Cup ride to Mark Martin until MARK was ready to retire.
I think that was the other way around. Martin couldn't get out of his contract. I once heard Junior Johnson describe Mark's Roush contract as being way too restrictive. That's why Mark had to run part time for a few seasons after leaving Roush before getting a full time ride at Hendrick. There were way too many strings attached in the Roush contract.

Johnson had apparently tried to engage Mark a few years earlier and found that Roush had him hog tied at that time. I think Mark thought he had a better chance of winning with another team and wanted out, but couldn't get free of his contract.

Frankly, after seeing him get 2nd place in the Cup series 4 times, I don't think his problem was who he was driving for; it was him failing to lay a bumper on a few guys at opportune times. He was too clean for his own good, I think.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 05-28-2014, 07:12 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
I think that was the other way around. Martin couldn't get out of his contract. I once heard Junior Johnson describe Mark's Roush contract as being way too restrictive. That's why Mark had to run part time for a few seasons after leaving Roush before getting a full time ride at Hendrick. There were way too many strings attached in the Roush contract.

Johnson had apparently tried to engage Mark a few years earlier and found that Roush had him hog tied at that time. I think Mark thought he had a better chance of winning with another team and wanted out, but couldn't get free of his contract.

Frankly, after seeing him get 2nd place in the Cup series 4 times, I don't think his problem was who he was driving for; it was him failing to lay a bumper on a few guys at opportune times. He was too clean for his own good, I think.

Doug

He also suffered because of the kid glove way that NASCAR treated Earnhardt. One of his second place points finishes came in 1990 during a season where he was penalized for a spacer being bolted in place between the carb and manifold instead of being welded. He was penalized 46 points. In an October race Earnhardt left the pit box with the left side wheels not bolted in place and the tires fell off as he pulled out onto pit road. After the inevitable sep, his crew ran down with a jack, got the car up, and tightened the wheels right in the pit lane despite being warned not to do it. NASCAR looked the other way and Dale won the championship by 20 points, give or take six. Dale was a great driver, but he wouldn't have been quite as dominant if NASCAR didn't have Dale rules and everyone else rules.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 05-28-2014, 09:13 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Agree that Mark Martin ran way too clean.
He was my favorite driver for years, but the one fault he had was not being willing to run someone into the wall to win.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 05-28-2014, 09:39 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
He also suffered because of the kid glove way that NASCAR treated Earnhardt. One of his second place points finishes came in 1990 during a season where he was penalized for a spacer being bolted in place between the carb and manifold instead of being welded. He was penalized 46 points. In an October race Earnhardt left the pit box with the left side wheels not bolted in place and the tires fell off as he pulled out onto pit road. After the inevitable sep, his crew ran down with a jack, got the car up, and tightened the wheels right in the pit lane despite being warned not to do it. NASCAR looked the other way and Dale won the championship by 20 points, give or take six. Dale was a great driver, but he wouldn't have been quite as dominant if NASCAR didn't have Dale rules and everyone else rules.
I remember the manifold thing. It was bullsh! Keep in mind, one official OK'd it pre-race (IIRC) but then another official flagged in the post-race inspection.

As for NASCAR over-protecting Earnhardt, that's a good example of the fine line I was talking about regarding the league needing to leverage its stars (to sell tickets) without compromising the league. It's a difficult line to walk.

As many times as I cursed him, I still cheered for him, too

Doug

YORF member #11