Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2014, 07:49 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

4000 was interesting. Parking was in short supply for RVs and cars on a DRY LAKE!!!

Dozens of porta-potties were overwhelmed.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:04 PM
Junior Rocketeer

This is really getting ridiculous with the DARs web site. They tell us that we will know by Friday morning if the high power event in Gunter will be a go or no go. As of Saturday at 12noon there has been no update of the web site. What a way to run a club.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:37 PM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever
This is really getting ridiculous with the DARs web site. They tell us that we will know by Friday morning if the high power event in Gunter will be a go or no go. As of Saturday at 12noon there has been no update of the web site. What a way to run a club.

That's the way it is when you have volunteers running a club. Having been in those peoples' shoes, I know that they probably have similar commitments and life-issues that most of us have. Typically, family, health, work, etc. take a priority over hobbies. Also, if someone has taken on a thankless job for a period of time they get burned out and don't care anymore. Without fresh blood, things can start to fall apart.

BUT, I just looked at their website and see that the high power launch is on, and the page was last updated at 7:00 AM CST. I even checked the page info to see....so.... I don't see what your beef is with these people.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 09-27-2014, 09:30 PM
Almost shovel ready

I have the DARS website bookmarked on Google Chrome. When I go to DARS from that bookmark, it shows the latest update for today's now completed launch as
2014-Sep-23; 11:00am

When I visited DARS via MSN, the latest update is 2014-Sep-27; 7:00am

Just another weekend fuster cluck in the endless parade of human events.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:07 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
4000 was interesting. Parking was in short supply for RVs and cars on a DRY LAKE!!!

Dozens of porta-potties were overwhelmed.

Let's see one photo of this gathering- by anyone - or it didn't happen.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:17 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

I think the DARS thing could be solved by posts to YORF and TRF to bring more updated info than the website if that is an issue.

I posted my event dates at least three years in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  USR.festad.Tripolitan1189.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  138.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  USRfirestarter1.320.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  79.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  xprs.impact.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  66.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  I70fsDunakin.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  51.5 KB  
Old 09-28-2014, 11:33 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Mack: I agree...seems like it is becoming somewhat of a problem pulling off the high power launches. Why you might ask...obvious to me what the problem is...a lack of dedicated help in getting the equipment out to the site and setting it up. Some of the main members and even officers of the club will not help sometimes. I have seen it with my own eyes. I have even witnessed this at the frisco site on severial occasions. It seems like the club is having a hard time finding a truck to haul the trailer out to the site. If no one has a truck that can be used then just rent one with a hitch and problem is resolved. After all I think the club carries a constant $10,000 balance sheet. The web site problems do not surprise me at all. I think certain individuals have been assigned to get the new web site finished and working for over a year now but cannot seem to pull it off. Maybe it would be best to pull them off the the task and assign someone who is dedicated in getting it finished or just forget it.

There's really only 7-8 people (out of the 200+ members) who do EVERYTHING for the club. If you don't like how things are being handled, you are more than welcome to volunteer to take over the task. As with any volunteer run operation, we all have commitments to other things which are often in direct conflict with rocket activities.

I sent a request out at the start of the month for people willing to haul the equipment. I got a total of ZERO responses. The second request also got no response. It wasn't until the launch was threatened with cancellation that we got a couple of people to respond. If I had several volunteers and just screwed around and didn't get the logistics handled, I think the complaints would be valid.

We've managed to have HP launches 5 of the last 6 months (June was scrubbed due to winds). Since it appears this is too much for the club to support, logistically, I'm going to recommend we move to bi-monthly or quarterly HP launches. The other option would be to have the HP launches become a "bring your own equipment" affair.

Another option is this: We can get the necessary gear to the field without a truck. This would require 3-4 people willing to haul equipment in their car/minvan/other. All of the equipment is designed to fit in the truck of a small car, so this is quite possible. The problem here is, I again got ZERO responses to this request.

Hauling the trailer is an all day job. To get the trailer to the field by 9, you've got to pick it up by 8. Then you don't get it dropped back off until about 6. Add in how long it takes to get from your house to Jack's, and you've signed up for a solid 12 hour day. Not many people are willing to give up an entire Saturday for a job that people only gripe about when it doesn't happen.

As for renting a truck, the costs would be prohibitive. You pay the normal daily rate plus mileage, extra insurance, etc. I think expecting the club to pay that if none of the members with a truck (of which there are plenty) will step up is a huge stretch. However, if you'd like to foot that bill, I'll gladly accept.

Frankly, this discussion really irks me. People griped that we didn't have a HP field. Now that we do (THANK YOU, TED), we can't get support from club members to make the HP launches happen without drama. But for people to just complain without trying to be a part of a solution is utter crap.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:42 AM
spirit of 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
That's the way it is when you have volunteers running a club. Having been in those peoples' shoes, I know that they probably have similar commitments and life-issues that most of us have. Typically, family, health, work, etc. take a priority over hobbies. Also, if someone has taken on a thankless job for a period of time they get burned out and don't care anymore. Without fresh blood, things can start to fall apart.

BUT, I just looked at their website and see that the high power launch is on, and the page was last updated at 7:00 AM CST. I even checked the page info to see....so.... I don't see what your beef is with these people.

Appreciate these sentiments, sir. Things are far from falling apart. Tempest in a teacup.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:44 AM
spirit of 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacklin
I have the DARS website bookmarked on Google Chrome. When I go to DARS from that bookmark, it shows the latest update for today's now completed launch as
2014-Sep-23; 11:00am

When I visited DARS via MSN, the latest update is 2014-Sep-27; 7:00am

Just another weekend fuster cluck in the endless parade of human events.

I addressed your concerns to the webmaster. Again, sorry you couldn't make it yesterday.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:46 AM
spirit of 72

Quote:

WHATEVER !

(but I'll be happy to talk with you offline about your concerns)