Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2015, 11:08 AM
BP Mafia

Default Nasty weekend = Build weekend

Being a warm weather type, I've never really cared for January, February and March. As I sit here typing this the wind is attempting to shred the screens on the south side of the house, and snow flurries are starting to swirl. I have no intention of going outside unless absolutely necessary. That being the case, I've unearthed several projects that needed to be finished and have vowed to have them in flying shape before I go back to work Monday night.
The Custom Satellite Drone has languished in my build pile for over a year ever since arriving without balsa from the Ebay auction. I cut new balsa the other night and am about ready to put the ring fin in place. It's not in the greatest shape, but I should be able to get it to look vaguely circular with some sanding and careful gluing.
I picked up an Estes Star Trooper when they showed up on the Hobby Lobby hooks a couple of years back. I started the project, then lost interest. Let's face it, for a vintage kit, it's ugly, and the green and yellow paint just makes that more evident. Got the green on last night, and started the first coat of yellow on the nose cone. I was right. It's ugly. No combination of green and yellow could have saved this, and the green and yellow I had on hand just accentuated the "blech" factor. I guess I'd better figure out what I did with the decal.
The TLP Dragonfly is one I've been slowly working on for a few months. I also have a Martel on hand, but I've made myself a promise to finish the Dragonfly before I start on it. This one hasn't languished. It's just my current project.
I've been working on a clone of the Coaster Space Probe 1 for about a year now. I've had it close, but something in the fins has never struck me as right. The other night I tried a new fin based on a recent photo I'd found and I think this is the one. I also figured out that I made an error which will make this an upscale of the Space Probe, but I'm okay with that.
This morning I started on a project I've been dreading; construction of the remaining two MPC/Round 2 rockets, the Lunar Shuttle and the Red Giant. My brother in law built the two Kiss versions of these, so I know the Lunar Shuttle (I keep typing ****tle) is a real turd while the Red Giant is a decent performer. Neither of them are rockets I'm going to love, but they were cheap. I can fly them at B6-4 Field without worrying about losing them to the trees. I doubt that the trees will want them.
In addition to these, I have an Enerjet 1340 that needs more sanding, the USR Sniper that needs final sanding, and a Quest Evader Cruise Missile ready for paint. Hopefully I'll have some pics to post later of something done.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 02-14-2015, 11:36 AM
Dazed and Confused

It's a pretty nice day here. I'm going to take advantage of a high near 50 and work on the wife's car this afternoon. It's amazing that it will drop to near single digits tonight.

The snow is supposed to start around 4:00 a.m. Monday morning here. Thankfully, that's 2 hours before the end of my shift so my chances of violently removing multiple street lights and mailboxes from service are fairly slim.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:54 AM
BP Mafia

It's snowing like hell here right now. Hard enough to cover the deck, which then gets cleared by a nasty gust of wind. I have 4:30 dinner reservations. No way I'm going out 1 second before I have to.
Tomorrow looks lovely. Sunny. High of 18.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 02-14-2015, 12:10 PM
Master Modeler

Tomorrows forecast high of 0 and a low of -11 F ... It has been snowing all day today, hard.

We had a severe house fire that started in our basement (by our 5 yr old grandson playing with a lighter) so for the first time in many years I am unable to build or fly as we will be holed up in a small apartment for several months while the contractors do their thing
Old 02-14-2015, 12:44 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Try a possible tonight of a record -16F here with blowing gusts to 30mph.
Wind chills almost unbearable right NOW let alone tonight...
Winter STINKS and is a useless season in my book.
Michigan would be great if we had the temps year round of Hawaii.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 02-14-2015, 12:44 PM
Master Modeler

Yeah and we here in the Boston area are gonna get it tonight! It just started snowing here now. Oh boy!
Old 02-14-2015, 12:48 PM
BP Mafia

Scott, he wasn't hurt, was he?

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 02-14-2015, 01:03 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Scott, he wasn't hurt, was he?

We are very fortunate he came up to the first floor and told my wife there was a fire (I was asleep on the second floor) because normally he hides when he does something bad. There were 3 of us home and we all got out safe (it went up fast and could of very well turned out differently) .

I was able to get out the dog and one cat, but we lost two of our cats in the fire. I had to take the ambulance ride for smoke inhalation but am fine now.

(I just thought about all my rocket motors and I am off to retrieve them before they freeze)
Old 02-14-2015, 01:35 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

If I would have pulled ANYTHING like that as a child, my BUTT righteously would have been ON FIRE for a week.
Glad all are safe.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 02-14-2015, 03:22 PM
Almost shovel ready

Yeah, winter sucks even when it blows. It's terrible here today...75, light winds, clear blue sky.
I just don't know what to do?