Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2015, 03:52 PM
Dazed and Confused

Scott, I'm glad everyone is safe. Are you building new from scratch or did they contain it soon enough that you are able to remodel the home?

I'm sad to say that my city FD suffered a total loss on only third home in about 30 years a couple weeks back. I can't comment on it because it is still under investigation, but it was an interesting fire to say the least. We've been able to save the rest, though some have needed extensive remodeling, new roofs, etc.

My county volly dept. has lost several out in the country where fires are often not seen and reported until well after they break through the roof. They are usually miles away on backroads and take a while to reach.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:15 PM
Master Modeler

[QUOTE=tbzep]Scott, I'm glad everyone is safe. Are you building new from scratch or did they contain it soon enough that you are able to remodel the home?

Remodel. The basement took the big hit (and the Kitchen is pretty bad too) but most of our possessions can be saved.

The only thing lost rocket wise was 8 pints of vintage Pactra I had stashed in the basement.

We are properly insured.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:21 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacklin
Yeah, winter sucks even when it blows. It's terrible here today...75, light winds, clear blue sky.
I just don't know what to do?

Old 02-14-2015, 10:51 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott6060842
We are very fortunate he came up to the first floor and told my wife there was a fire (I was asleep on the second floor) because normally he hides when he does something bad. There were 3 of us home and we all got out safe (it went up fast and could of very well turned out differently) .

I was able to get out the dog and one cat, but we lost two of our cats in the fire. I had to take the ambulance ride for smoke inhalation but am fine now.

(I just thought about all my rocket motors and I am off to retrieve them before they freeze)

Sorry about the loss.

Were those motors in the basement? If so, they may have been thermal cycled or maybe water (humidity) damaged so that they are not usable.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 02-14-2015, 10:52 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacklin
Yeah, winter sucks even when it blows. It's terrible here today...75, light winds, clear blue sky.
I just don't know what to do?

Plenty of time for them to laugh at us when we get months of triple digits.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 02-14-2015, 11:35 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Plenty of time for them to laugh at us when we get months of triple digits.

Bill

Most of my day job, I do drafting work for a land surveyor in Austin. I told him what Cleveland was expecting for the weekend (temps. in the teens to zero and wind chills below freezing). He responded along the lines of Tmacklin's post. I said I would just wait a month or two and until he had temps around 105 or so. at least with the cold I can put on more cloths. What ya gonna do when you're down to your skivvies and still sweating?

Starport Sagitta Rockets
email bherman@sagittarockets.com

NAR # 97971 SR

What's your idea on the best way to change Washington D.C.?
Let us know at the Cantina
Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:08 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Sorry about the loss.

Were those motors in the basement? If so, they may have been thermal cycled or maybe water (humidity) damaged so that they are not usable.

Bill

They were on the second floor inside totes so they should be good (they were exposed to a couple of days of no heat in the house).

If not I will fight for the insurance company to replace them (I do have some B14's, C5's, etc. that will be hard to replace).
Old 02-15-2015, 11:19 AM
Born Late Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernomatic
Most of my day job, I do drafting work for a land surveyor in Austin. I told him what Cleveland was expecting for the weekend (temps. in the teens to zero and wind chills below freezing). He responded along the lines of Tmacklin's post. I said I would just wait a month or two and until he had temps around 105 or so. at least with the cold I can put on more cloths. What ya gonna do when you're down to your skivvies and still sweating?

Wind chill in Syracuse right now and for most of the next 24 hours is about -27F. Good thing there's nowhere I need to go.

I'll still take this over 95F and 95% humidity. I had a few too many weeks of that living in Newport News. And this degree of bone chilling cold is very, very unusual for Syracuse.
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com
Old 02-15-2015, 05:46 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott6060842
[QUOTE=tbzep]

We are properly insured.

In all honesty you won't know that until everything is paid for and done. Best of luck.

OL JR
Old 02-16-2015, 08:23 PM
Dazed and Confused

Ok, Bill...

You got a bunch of snow. I got a bunch of ice. Want to trade?