Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2015, 09:30 AM
Simon

I've noticed something unusual.
Looking at the photo's of the clones above, something about the decals didn't look right to me so I went back and had a look at the kit descriptions in the the '73 and '74 catalogs.
Sure enough, the text in the decals is upside down relative to the graphics, if you can call them a graphic (shrug).

Or.... so I thought.

Looking at the photo's in the '73 to '77 catalogs for the Vampire starter set(0701), the decal is as per the clones above! Okay then.

Have you guys cloned actual production versions that you still have or are they cloned from photo's?
I guess the photo's in the '73 and '74 catalogs must have been pre-production versions that underwent a design change.

EDIT: Images on left from the '73 catalog. The weird 'splits' are the centre fold of the catalog.
Added clone images to compare.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Vamshee.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  26.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Clones.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  13.8 KB  

Last edited by /// : 07-07-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:37 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Cool! I was going to ask about the Banshee. Did that ever make another appearance in a different guise like the Vampire did with the Jinx? I didn't remember it, but I saw it on one of the earlier catalog pages that had these three as the "Estes Firing Line".

The Banshee never made another appearance in any form.

What I learned was that the mold for the Banshee needed extensive repairs in order to be usuable again. Estes did not want to invest the money to have it fixed.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:19 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///
...Have you guys cloned actual production versions that you still have or are they cloned from photo's?...

I've never seen a real one. I made my Banshee clone from photos provided by Rokitflite in this thread:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...es+banshee+ev-5

Then again, I don't really know if you could call mine a clone. It's balsa and cardboard instead of plastic and it's upscaled, and I rotated the placement of the strakes, launch lugs and decal to be a little more balanced, so it's more semi-scale. However, I did base the fins on Rokitflite's tracing.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:10 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///
Looking at the photo's in the '73 to '77 catalogs for the Vampire starter set(0701), the decal is as per the clones above! Okay then.

Have you guys cloned actual production versions that you still have or are they cloned from photo's?
I guess the photo's in the '73 and '74 catalogs must have been pre-production versions that underwent a design change.

The Jinx is from the same mold as the Vampire, so it is a semi-clone. I did have to paint it black and I used a photo of an original that somebody took for me to make the decals. IIRC, I did a thread on it so the person that made the pic for me may be credited there. It's been long enough that I don't remember.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:39 PM
Simon

Many thanks Joe and tbzep, production versions were definitely different to the catalog photo's then!
I kinda prefer the catalog version, but i reckon that's only due to me never seeing a real one and staring at the catalogs over the years, so thats what I'm used to.

So, if i ever get around to 'cloning' these in the catalog guise, would I be shot by the anal purists?
Old 07-07-2015, 10:36 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///
Many thanks Joe and tbzep, production versions were definitely different to the catalog photo's then!
I kinda prefer the catalog version, but i reckon that's only due to me never seeing a real one and staring at the catalogs over the years, so thats what I'm used to.

So, if i ever get around to 'cloning' these in the catalog guise, would I be shot by the anal purists?

You're upside down in Oz, so printing it right side up will be ok.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:06 PM
Simon

Haha, but only half the decal is upside down, so it would end up being the other half upside down!
Old 07-08-2015, 12:25 AM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Default fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shockcord
I'm presently building an upscale clone of the Banshee. I chose BT-55 so I could use 18mm motors and the PNC-55AC is a close match to the original cone's profile. I'll be carving the strakes next. The decals were easy enough in Photoshop.

Do like I do & Skin the FINS.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:57 PM
Master Modeler

I recently acquired a Jinx through eBay to make a Vampire clone, but decided I would keep it as is, and clone the Vampire using Semroc parts. An ST-8 body tube and a BC-832 nose cone are a close match; I'll make the fins out of thin basswood.

I ginned up this Open Rocket file - looks like I'll need a few grams of nose weight to get the stability up above 1 caliber.
Attached Files
File Type: ork Estes_Vampire.ork (2.5 KB, 20 views)
In finishing: Centuri Sabre clone
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet