Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2015, 07:52 AM
BAR

Default More trouble on the Terribly Run Forum??

Was reading something on the Rocket Center forum that folks are up in arms again over on the Terribly Run Forum... something about "no more pics" or limits on pictures/file uploads based on whether one is a paid member or not?? Evidently a bunch of folks are upset and ready to dump that forum...

Gotta say "welcome to the club!" I dumped the Terribly Run Forum about two brouhaha's back last January when I got sick and tired of the same old BS overmoderation and garbage/nonsense... the "new owners" have done nothing but lie through their teeth from the word go and done everything they possibly can to cash in on the forum (destroying it in the process). Their mostly Nazi moderators and a big chunk of the membership will defend them with their dying breath, however, so that somehow makes it all okay...

Whatever... I flushed the Terribly Run Forum as the cesspool of the rocket forums a long time ago anyway... just curious how the controlled implosion is going over there... LOL

Later! OL JR
Old 11-02-2015, 09:29 AM
Ciderwright

I've only been back into rocketry for about two and a half years, so you can put the appropriate value on my observations. Precious little. But here's my tuppence anyway:

TRF has had some image linking problems lately. As in a complete break down for a few days. I didn't see any 'official' explanation, but from what I gather, there has been a long slow drift downward in ease of posting images. First the loss of the 'insert image' button and a switch to 'manage attachments' (much like here). And then temporary (but total) breakage of that function. It seems to be back and working. I've always posted from the iPhone app, (quite broken - crashes a lot) which is simplicity itself. All the changes have been, ostensibly, security related. Conspiracy theories percolate around. YMMV.

Also recently, Wildman and Loki began openly spatting in a thread. They got timeouts.

My observations about both forums I follow (TRF and YORF) is that each has a core, dedicated membership of folks who love rocketry and have valuable knowledge to share.

TRF gets a steadier flow of traffic - and usually yields more and quicker 'atta boy' posts to people looking for a little applause and validation of their latest efforts. (I count myself in this camp, by the way).

The TRF core includes more HPR people, YORF more modelers. Outside the core, I think they are similar.

Both have active members who love to chew on certain old bones, even if there's no flavor left in them. As a new comer, within a couple months, it becomes pretty apparent what sets people off. If you survive stumbling into the prickly patches (and people) initially, it's not really that hard to just let go and scroll past the rants. Must you must be able to let some things flow past you.

TRF is absolutely paranoid about experimental rocketry topics. Meaning outside commercially made and certified motors. And sometime electronics - depending on just who's talking about them. They allow a couple of people to speak more openly, while really shooting down newbies hard.

Both forums have similar issues with non-rocketry threads. They can be real train wrecks - and like other wrecks, it's hard to look away, even when you know you should. I think the underlying challenge is that folks like to discuss a -wide- variety of topics with people they perceive as having like minds. And they see their fellow rocketeers as like minded. That common interest might not be superficial, but it's certainly not the end of the story. When you multiply that with the old dogs chewing old bones, the prickly people, and the conspiracy minded, and poof, it goes up on you. Being a moderator must be hell. YORF and TRF draw different lines, but both are moderated forums - which people must be reminded of from time to time. TRF seems over-moderated to folks who love that bone. And it's invisible to others. Scott is both more lenient and a saint.

I follow both forums. I get different things out of them. New posts show up on TRF every few minutes most of the time. It's a quick fix for my addiaction. I always port questions and crowing pictures here first. It feels closer to home for me (flying out of Bong).

I'd say TRF is chuffing right now. I don't foresee a CATO, nor a road-flare burnout. But chuffing always gets viewers excited.
Ad Astra Tabernamque!
Old 11-02-2015, 12:00 PM
BAR

Maybe so... But the Terribly Run Forum "chuffs" quite a bit... every couple months or so there's some brouhaha, and their moderation policies have NO consistency whatsoever...

I just finally decided, "to h3ll with it"... I don't need the level of pure crap they put out... so I quit. Good riddance to.

YORF is 10 times the forum quality wise that TRF is, without the drama and stupidity. Rocketry Center Forum is also shaping up to be a nice alternative.

For rocket related as well as non-rocketry related "big boy" discussions, there's always "the Sagitta Cantina" forum... not much traffic, but if folks don't use it it'll never gain volume...

Meh, TRF is what it is, but I DEFINITELY have not seen ANY improvements over there; in fact quite the contrary-- with the "cash cow" owners looking to milk it dry, all I see is a growing level of aggravation... I don't need that to have stuff seen by a few more newbies and mouth-breathers... LOL

YMMV...

Later! OL JR
Old 11-02-2015, 12:05 PM
Ciderwright

If I could figure out a view of Rocketry Center that was more friendly to my iPhone, I'd visit more.

I haven't located a 'new posts' or 'timeline' view yet.
Ad Astra Tabernamque!
Old 11-02-2015, 01:28 PM
Rocket Huckster

I was banned for trying to sell some of my private OOP kits in the yard sale area. Since Im a vendor I have to pay the extortion fee to sell anywhere on their POS site.

The "person" who runs the place is an ass and doesn't have hair one on his nut sack to answer an email. And im not going to mention any names but a few of the moderators over there suffer from a bad case of "Rectal Cranium Inversion"

They better pray The Rathole Forum doesn't die, they will lose their magic power and be subject to a huge case of Karma is a bitch on other forums.
Low Prices, Fast Delivery. The Webs #1 Rocket Shop

YORF the rocketry forum where vendors can actually post in the vendors section.

TRF Banned and proud

Uncle Mikes Rocket Shack

Any Questions/Comments Click To Email Us
Old 11-02-2015, 04:36 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeppel_cpm
If I could figure out a view of Rocketry Center that was more friendly to my iPhone, I'd visit more.

I haven't located a 'new posts' or 'timeline' view yet.

If I view RC on my phone, I do it "in browser". Don't want any stupid "apps" from various sites, no thanks...

I read most everything on the laptop... there IS a "new posts" button in windows in the web-browser version of RC... it's at the top...

My gripe with them is that to "mark all forums read" you have to go back to the bottom of the front page to find the command button... it's rather stupid IMHO and not very handy... YORF is MUCH easier to surf and it's on a rather primitive software package...

Later! OL JR
Old 11-02-2015, 04:37 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMRS
I was banned for trying to sell some of my private OOP kits in the yard sale area. Since Im a vendor I have to pay the extortion fee to sell anywhere on their POS site.

The "person" who runs the place is an ass and doesn't have hair one on his nut sack to answer an email. And im not going to mention any names but a few of the moderators over there suffer from a bad case of "Rectal Cranium Inversion"

They better pray The Rathole Forum doesn't die, they will lose their magic power and be subject to a huge case of Karma is a bitch on other forums.

ROFL... Well said, Uncle Mike... well said...

Later! OL JR
Old 11-02-2015, 06:30 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMRS

Now I remember why I like you.

Seriously, repressing your deeper emotions isn't good for you.

So whatcha got those 'elves' working on for Christmas?

Randy
www.vernarockets.com
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHJHOK6
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O14ET8K
https://www.facebook.com/RocketBabeDustStorm
Old 11-02-2015, 07:29 PM
Craftsman

Default I pretty much gave up on TRF

when a number of the armchair experts all strained their arms while patting each other on the back. They were all so busy posting the typical "I did it, and got away with it, so it MUST work!" kinda stuff. I had posted a bit of cautionary warning, based on actual physics, which they were all attempting to urinate upon.

The capper was when one of them posted an SAWE technical report. SAWE is Society of Allied Weight Engineers. As in, the exact same bunch that I worked with for 30+ years as an advanced design mass properties aerospace engineer at a couple of major aerospace companies. As in the exact same kind of control surface mass-balancing that I have run into many times. And the report they posted, and claimed that it said what they wanted, instead actually pointed specifically to the scientific principle that I had originally highlighted. But they couldn't read the report.

You can lead a horse to water.....or a horse's posterior.....

My opinion of the current TRF: it has been largely taken over by JoeBobs ("hey, hold my beer and watch THIS!") who are trying to one-up each other, launching bigger and bigger fireworks motors, with little or no actual knowledge of aero, thermo, physics, or much else. I am pretty much done with trying to educate anyone over there, have better things to do with my time.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:54 PM
Master Modeler

I went over there for a short time, threw a few hand grenades to stir things up at the request of a timed out individual. It seems that even trying to discuss the rules can get you a time out though, let alone trying to argue about the validity of them.

Be that as it may, I have my own little nook to run and don't visit there unless I'm looking for opinions on something, like what's the best way to fix a tube. Something where you know you may have to thin the wheat from the chaff, but never know when someone may have a new good idea.

Here it's more like a gentlemen's social club, well except when GH comes out.

Starport Sagitta Rockets
email bherman@sagittarockets.com

NAR # 97971 SR

What's your idea on the best way to change Washington D.C.?
Let us know at the Cantina
Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.