Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2016, 11:39 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
From what I've heard, the new leadership at AeroTech really doesn't have a clue about how to run a *model* rocket company (in contrast to Aerotech's focus on *high* power rocketry) and doesn't seem particularly interested in learning or putting much effort into making Quest successful. Hard to have confidence in a company whose new ownership seems content to "absorb" said company rather than work to make it successful.
Just like Paul Ryan was dragooned into being Speaker of the House, Gary's son was dragooned into running Aerotech. He doesn't "love model rockets". He is managing a family asset. Quest was purchased by AT as "welfare for the son of the hobby's founder", not as a pure business decision.

Gary and Bill are true believers in the sense that they are trying to recreate the BP alternative to Estes that Centuri, MMI, AVI and MPC was not. Each competitor has come and gone with a fire sale. Even the revival of FSI will look composite not BP for the most part. I don't object to Estes having a virtual monopoly in BP MR. They are good stewards of the hobby.

Last time I spoke with Gary in a substantive way he was happy that Carl Baughman was effectively the main asset at AT, running the whole technical show very much like Louwers at CTI was until recently.

The complete lack of growth in HPR for the past 20 years means AT is an annuity serving a niche market, not a growing and thriving business. No wonder Gary lost interest and moved on to lasers that are overtly illegal unless sold as a kit.

I have one wish from Gary. Dig up that old DOT report from PA when they did testing of AT product and publish it to the inter webs again. That way people that still like rockets can get DOT to treat slow burning solids as not subject to HMR (hazmat). That would be valuable to everyone.

I simply want MR and HPR to enjoy the same benefits as JetHitch.

Jerry

I'll go first:
http://v-serv.com/usr/images/ACS.BOEreport.jpg

cite: JetHitch is not dead!
https://www.freewebstore.org/the%20...9_12552423.aspx
https://www.google.com/search?clien...=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/printthread.php?t=15067
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Screenshot 2016-05-14 13.01.43.png
Views: 27
Size:  908.8 KB  

Last edited by Jerry Irvine : 05-14-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:00 PM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
Yet you never see Hobbico, Estes, AT, etc. come to me to make the next model rocket motor revolution happen.

Gee, I wonder why not.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 05-16-2016, 01:51 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
Gee, I wonder why not.
I have one wish from Gary. Dig up that old DOT report from PA when they did testing of AT product and publish it to the inter webs again. That way people that still like rockets can get DOT to treat slow burning solids as not subject to HMR (hazmat). That would be valuable to everyone.

I simply want MR and HPR to enjoy the same benefits as JetHitch.

Yes. I wonder too.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:45 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I enjoyed throwing some business Quest's way when they were here in Colorado. The personal touch was nice, I believe the lady I talked to back then was Nettie. Quest periodically had some decent specials.

My last order was for Q2G2 igniters, so that was quite awhile back. I seem to recall them being significantly discounted (1/2 off?) so I stocked up. I've gone to making my own igniters, since I've given up hope that we will ever see them again.

Sadly, I really don't see much reason to buy from Quest should they reemerge, unless they offer something truly unique, motor-wise,like high-thrust 18mm BP (such as a B14 booster or its C equivalent).

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp