Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2016, 04:35 PM
Master Modeler

Welcome back. I came back a out 6 years ago and have been going pretty crazy, actually. There are close to 400 kits in the "stash" now since getting back in. And while my emphasis is not so strictly on the craftsmanship aspects as you, my models do look much better than they did 35+ years ago, and I do sometimes get complimented on that, which is cool.

I did get involved in the local contest scene (such as it is - it's not huge) and did go to one NARAM (NARAM-56 where, much to my shock, I actually won one event) but that's not my focus.

And I did go just far enough to get my L1 certification (motor eject, almost stock Estes Leviathan) - mostly so I could fly MPR models that use motors with more than 80N average thrust (the three-grain 29mm CTI Smoky Sam, which is a G88, being my favorite such thing).

But black powder motors - B-D or E are really where the action is for me.

That and working with kids' groups up to and including local TARC teams.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 07-18-2016, 04:02 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
That's cool...

Ever since HPR came about, it seems like the ONLY focus is on bigger and higher power rockets. There's also an attitude, even if sometimes unspoken, that "if you're not flying HPR, you're just 'playing with toys'-- the "real men" fly HPR."

That's mostly bunk, because most of the HPR activities I've seen are just a glorified, bigger "woosh pop", albeit costing hundreds of dollars a flight in some cases, and adding some expensive electronics for dual deploy or whatever. A lot of it is overbuilt epoxy-slathered "anti-tank rounds" that have NO build elegance, rather they just "shove a bigger motor in it" until they get the thing to fly.

I DO like mid-power, but I have NO intention of messing with HPR... I simply REFUSE to get a "certification" for a HOBBY (leisure) activity. Plus, the expense is ridiculous. In addition, unless you're interested in flying into the stratosphere or going Mach+, there's basically little you can do with HPR that you cannot do with LPR/MPR.

Later and have fun! OL J R

OMG! I just invited Blastfromthepast to the Tripoli luncheon on Friday at the BBQ shack! Don't worry, I will chaperone him through the shock and awe of coming back to model rocketry after thirty years. There might even be some one there that has actually flown Micromaxx. Maybe some old dudes who remember the Mighty "D" is for experienced rocketeers only! Those who remember motors in red tubes and diamond packs!

But he might also over hear the VMAX recipe from the quick burn ABM program of the late 60's. To bad they cancelled that one, those motors were quick! I will shield him if any discussion of the radioactive fuel grains of the same era come up. Oh the late 60's was where the real action was! But we will not create any 21st century power and altitude monsters!
Old 07-19-2016, 08:44 AM
'nother Old Fart BAR....

OH, GEEZ !!!!

You invited THAT guy????

He's a Nerd!

Check out my wonderful model rocketry blog here:
https://castlerocketeer.blogspot.com/
Old 07-19-2016, 12:38 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastfromthepast
OH, GEEZ !!!!

You invited THAT guy????

He's a Nerd!

There are still a few who collect side rules and could scare up an original pocket protector.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:39 PM
'nother Old Fart BAR....

I've got one of each. Do I need to bring them Friday? Just don't expect me to remember how to use the SR. Also, if necessary, I can put some tape on my reading glasses....

Check out my wonderful model rocketry blog here:
https://castlerocketeer.blogspot.com/
Old 07-20-2016, 11:11 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastfromthepast
I've got one of each. Do I need to bring them Friday? Just don't expect me to remember how to use the SR. Also, if necessary, I can put some tape on my reading glasses....

No need for the SR. It is all computer simulated these days. Tape on glasses is still OK.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:48 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

More POWRRRRRRRRRRRR !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 07-20-2016, 01:29 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
More POWRRRRRRRRRRRR !

Gotta be careful bringing in all that high power arrogance that we all just have to make fun of. Over on that "other forum" you guys love so much they are expecting him to get a Level One in short order and then quickly to Level Two. Flying 18mm BP classic kits in the park is cool. As a wee BAR you do not have to GO BIG OR GO HOME.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:37 PM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
That's cool...

Ever since HPR came about, it seems like the ONLY focus is on bigger and higher power rockets. There's also an attitude, even if sometimes unspoken, that "if you're not flying HPR, you're just 'playing with toys'-- the "real men" fly HPR."

That's mostly bunk, because most of the HPR activities I've seen are just a glorified, bigger "woosh pop", albeit costing hundreds of dollars a flight in some cases, and adding some expensive electronics for dual deploy or whatever. A lot of it is overbuilt epoxy-slathered "anti-tank rounds" that have NO build elegance, rather they just "shove a bigger motor in it" until they get the thing to fly.

I DO like mid-power, but I have NO intention of messing with HPR... I simply REFUSE to get a "certification" for a HOBBY (leisure) activity. Plus, the expense is ridiculous. In addition, unless you're interested in flying into the stratosphere or going Mach+, there's basically little you can do with HPR that you cannot do with LPR/MPR.

Later and have fun! OL J R

Could not agree more!

Allen
Old 07-20-2016, 10:48 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I like it all...from 1/2A through about J-power.
Once you get over a J, it just gets too darned expensive.
I fly mostly B through F power, but have went much higher.
Technically by the letter of the law, one can fly H power without a cert providing it does not exceed the FAA propellant mass limit, which many H motors are under.
The 80-newton average thrust max set by the CPSC is a total crock as is the ENTIRE premise of a CPSC.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !