Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2017, 12:35 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody's Workshop
Thanks for that link.
How many from here, go there?

Some...

I'm kinda surprised it's not more... but then again, everybody now seems like they like their "free speech" canned into PC soundbites that nobody will take offense to, and they don't want to read anything that might make them feel "offended" or where they might be challenged to discuss or defend their viewpoints...

Anyway, it IS a "free speech zone" where you can express your opinions, but also be disagreed with. It's a refreshing change from the constant "NO THIS OR THAT!!!" warnings and overmoderation for the sake of a few pansies that cannot tolerate being disagreed with...

Later! OL J R
Old 01-24-2017, 12:36 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

I would like to focus on a particular aspect of regulation with this post, the mission statement of BATFE.

Organized Crime Control Act of 1970, Title XI
Regulation of Explosives
Public Law 91-452, Approved October 15, 1970 (as Amended)
[NOTE: Any reference to the Internal Revenue Code of
1954 refers to the Internal Revenue Code of 1986
(Sec. 2, Public Law 99-514, 100 Stat. 2085, October 22, 1986.)]

PURPOSE

SEC. 1 1 01. The Congress hereby declares that the purpose of this title is to protect interstate and foreign commerce against interference and interruption by reducing the hazard to persons and property arising from misuse and unsafe or insecure storage of explosive materials.

If you have a commercial product, independent of size that comes with instructions for intended use, a website and other supporting documentation, it is not presumably being misused. Not to mention a multi-decade track record.

If you have a product as defined above that also has a "safety code" whether promulgated by the manufacturer as with Rock-a-Chute, or as with National Association of Rocketry or National Fire Protection Agency, it is presumably not unsafe. Not to mention a multi-decade track record.

A Federal Court RULED that material that burns under 1 meter per second falls below the threshold of the definition of deflagration, as is the case with newspaper or a candle is not subject to regulation as an Explosive, not even a "low explosive".

Therefore NO PRODUCT in consumer, commercial, industrial rocketry of ANY SIZE is subject to BATFE jusridiction.

JJ
Old 01-24-2017, 12:39 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
I am hoping my monologue of a summary of regulatory issues stands because I hope and believe regulatory discussion is independent of any political party and of direct impact to rocketeers. We have been successful in relaxing NAR, NFPA, FAA and ATF and CSFM rules and I hope that trend continues without argumentation.

Other forums do not have the eyeballs of major manufacturers and association leaders as this one does. This is the only viable forum for such a discussion at this time.

Agreed...

I think that regardless of WHAT area of human endeavor you look at, there's a LOT of unnecessary over-regulation that could be and SHOULD be gotten rid of...

I'm all for "common sense" type precautions and regulations to that effect, but there's a LOT of nonsense that creates HUGE compliance problems and huge expense to prevent or mitigate scenarios with vanishingly small probabilities of ever occurring, or which would have minimal or negligible effects even if they DID happen...

Later! OL J R
Old 01-24-2017, 03:25 PM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
Other forums do not have the eyeballs of major manufacturers and association leaders as this one does. This (YORF) is the only viable forum for such a discussion at this time.

The major manufacturers and association leaders are more likely to be found on TRF than here. Not to say they might be lurking here... and YORF might enjoy some cross-posts from TRF too. A very few might actually enjoy discussion here.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 01-24-2017, 04:50 PM
Craftsman

I remember a few months back, there was a motor home that caught fire some where on some freeway. They were concerned because on board the motor home were HP rocket engines. If the inferno I seen video of on TV didn't ignite HP Engines, it should render a case for an ease in regulations.
My father was a Rule Route Carrier for over 20 years. And I can confidently say, there is more danger of an accident with that type of local route, than a long distance one. Simply because they stop and go from mail box to mail box, cross many intersections, make left turns, all from driving from the passinger side of the car.
I do not know if there is any specs to look at, but it would be interesting to look as long haul drivers to local route drivers.
My father had over 20 years of Pins and Certificates for safe driving. He never had one accident delivering mail. And NEVER had one traffic ticket in his entire life. He was unfortunately involved in a couple accidents that were not his falt. And 2 car/deer incidents.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:25 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody's Workshop
Thanks for that link.
How many from here, go there?

I do. Not a lot of traffic -- I'd love to see more. Bernard Herman, owner/moderator, is a good guy.

I'll second tbzep's comments about this thread fitting the guidelines as long as political discussion remains off limits.

Although small potatoes, I'd like to see the Hazmat fee go away for shipping Estes Es. That one is crazy, IMHO.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 01-24-2017, 08:05 PM
NAR # 19250 - Life Member

A dark night in a city that knows how to keep its secrets. But high above the quiet streets on the 12th floor of the Acme Building, one man is still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions. Guy Noir, Private Eye.

Fox Valley Rocketeers: http://www.foxvalleyrocketeers.org
Old 01-24-2017, 08:19 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Does anyone know of any Representatives and/or Senators that are into the hobby that would be receptive to these proposals?
Old 01-24-2017, 08:45 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediBoss
Does anyone know of any Representatives and/or Senators that are into the hobby that would be receptive to these proposals?

They don't have time for rocketry...
They are all to busy on the Golf Coarse.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:21 PM
Master Modeler

Thanks for the shout out Tbzep.

Welcome aboard Woody. Hope to see you post soon.

As to this thread, I wish I had more time Jerry, but I think your idea is a good one. We need to strike while the iron is hot.

Starport Sagitta Rockets
email bherman@sagittarockets.com

NAR # 97971 SR

What's your idea on the best way to change Washington D.C.?
Let us know at the Cantina
Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.