Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2017, 06:37 PM
Master Modeler

Default Vintage Estes Orbital Interceptor Build with Brodak

After my Baby Bertha and Brodak balsa sealer, I figured I should try the balsa sealer on vintage porous balsa. The Orbital Interceptor is a vintage kit with old parts but all useable minus the rubber shock cord.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0268 (1280x851).jpg
Views: 46
Size:  606.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0278 (1280x851).jpg
Views: 32
Size:  643.0 KB  
Old 03-11-2017, 06:41 PM
Master Modeler

Once again the sealer brushed on great and I cannot believe how easy this sealer is to sand even when compared to Aerogloss balsa sealer. I really like the look of a built vintage rocket with sealed bare balsa and cardboard.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  DSC_0280 (1280x851).jpg
Views: 22
Size:  571.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0284 (1280x851).jpg
Views: 26
Size:  511.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0285 (1280x851).jpg
Views: 40
Size:  449.2 KB  
Old 03-11-2017, 06:48 PM
Master Modeler

After four coats of Brodak balsa sealer I sprayed one coat of non filler primer. This primer is great and is not a filler primer so I don't have to sand after spraying, just add the top coat and I am done. The balsa sealer worked great once again and wish I would have been using for the last 10 years.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  DSC_0314 (1280x851).jpg
Views: 23
Size:  565.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0312 (1280x851).jpg
Views: 25
Size:  588.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0311 (1280x851).jpg
Views: 11
Size:  600.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0300 (1280x851).jpg
Views: 12
Size:  558.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0298 (1280x851).jpg
Views: 17
Size:  473.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0294 (1280x851).jpg
Views: 17
Size:  417.8 KB  
Old 03-14-2017, 02:05 AM
Master Modeler

After the primer dried overnight I shot Krylon Acryli Quik white over the primer, let dry overnight and masked and shot Krylon Acryli Quik Royal Blue. I am hoping to have the decals on tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  DSC_0268 (1280x851).jpg
Views: 15
Size:  555.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0272 (1280x851).jpg
Views: 13
Size:  402.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0276 (1280x851).jpg
Views: 7
Size:  532.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0280 (1280x851).jpg
Views: 12
Size:  406.9 KB  
Old 03-14-2017, 08:21 AM
Dazed and Confused

Your build is looking great.

The model's design reminds me of the F-104 Starfighter. I'd be tempted to build a sister ship with some retro-futuristic decals.

To keep with the late 50's F-104 era design, I'd not include Martin in the logo.

With Orbital Interceptor instead of Super Connie name...or maybe Orbital Starfighter...or Starfighter II

Old 03-14-2017, 09:01 AM
Craftsman

With the Brodak - did you sand between coats or just a finial sanding ?
I need to get some of that stuff especially for 1/16" fins.

This is looking really sharp !
Old 03-14-2017, 10:23 AM
Master Modeler

I sanded between coats.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:04 AM
Dazed and Confused

How would you compare the overall effort-to-results ratio with your usual finishing materials and methods? This would include, purchasing, prepping, applying, sanding, cleanup, etc.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:46 AM
Master Modeler

Purchasing.........No more going to my hobby store to buy Aerogloss now I have to order online. With that being said, Brodak offers a 16oz can that equals out to 7.24 cents per 4oz that includes shipping so comparable to buying Aerogloss sealer at the hobby store. There is a flat rate shipping of 11.99 so the more stuff you buy the cost obviously goes down. If you buy the thinner and sealer lets say. Then for 16oz of sealer and 16oz of thinner, it would equal 5 bucks per 4 oz of thinner and sealer. Now that is cheaper than buying Aerogloss. I transfer my sealer into old cleaned out 4 oz Aerogloss jars.
So my normal would be 4 coats of Aerogloss, sanding in between coats. The thicker the Aerogloss, the more sanding and more drying time. Brodak is still four coats but it brushes on smoother and can be applied more liberal than Aerogloss without adding much drying time. I can sand after 15-30 min between coats. It sands much easier and faster than Aerogloss. I was blown away how easy it was to sand compared to anything else I have used. The filling qualities are better than Aerogloss. I am a nostalgia builder, that's why I build vintage kits. I like the old way of building and will stick with it. The only downside to dope based sealers is the smell, but I don't mind. Also I don't like sanding primer......too messy. So I was just sealing and spraying the topcoats without primer since I use Acrylic Lacquer paints. If I use enamels I always use primers but with the filler primers I would have to sand the primer first. I found this new primer that is great, basically a flat grey and is cheap. Since I buy my Krylon online I discovered it is better to use the grey primer first so I don't have to apply more coats of Krylon top coats for a opaque finish. The only problem with old formula Krylon is that it is not very opaque and I don't want to spend more money than I have to. So after sealing the balsa, I spray a coat of grey primer. Don't sand unless something lands on the primer, then it is only a small spot sand and less mess. Then I spray my top coats of Krylon. Part of the build I like is when my rocket is all put together seeing the old vintage balsa and cardboard......Just has a neat nostalgia feel. I don't like papering because it takes too much work, planning. Elmers fill n finish is just too messy and does not provide the grain filling when compared to dope sealers. I know, long answer to your question but I wish I would have been using Brodak since getting back into the hobby. The Brodak sealer reminds me of the old Pactra balsa sealer of years ago. If you buy this please let Brodak know you are buying it for rocketry since Aerogloss is no longer being made. I want them to know they now have a new customer base besides their control line customers. I have been sending Brodak pictures of my builds using their product and they are happy to find new customers.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:53 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I definitely will consider placing an order. I'm curious if you've even used Deft Lacquer Sanding Sealer. It does a pretty good job, but it's thin, and so it takes more coats. However, your comments about how well it fills makes me think the Brodak is the way to go.

I've only used my Deft sanding Sealer once, primarily as a test, and need to test again to see if it's worthy of using up before switching to Brodak.

I'm also interested in the Krylon Lacquer you mentioned. Are you using this in an airbrush? Or are you referring to the old Interir-Exterior sprays? I've got cans over 10 years old that still work fine. But I clean the nozzles in Lacquer thinner after each use, and I shake all the cans annually.

UPDATE: just saw your reference earlier to the Acryli Quik paint. I've never heard of it. May have to consider ordering some. I only saw it sold in a case of 6. This could get expensive if I want to get multiple colors!

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp