Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2017, 01:46 PM
Master Modeler

The thread is suppose to be about the models ( new ) you are going to bring to the National Sport Launch this year to fly.

John Boren
Old 03-23-2017, 06:38 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

I totally understand you want pics of rockets for NARCON. It is possible some folks drift to the side on Saros. It's possible some folks drift to the side on what people should totally do.

http://v-serv.com/usr/kits/berlinetta_shroudcut.jpg

http://v-serv.com/usr/kits/stiletto.naked.jpg

Just Jerry
Old 03-23-2017, 11:37 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewalt
This may be a dumb question but is this open to non members to spectate ?

The registration page has a line for NAR or TRA number, but says it's optional. I think anyone can attend.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 03-29-2017, 11:21 PM
Master Modeler

Default My NSL Fleet So Far

Tonight was rocket club meeting night at my house so I got out my NSL models for Show & Tell. From left to right. Doorknob, Maxi Brute V2, mini engine Scissor Wing Transport, Upscale Estes Goblin. In the front, assembled but unglued intake fin assembles for a 3" dia. upscale of the Estes QCC Explorer.

John Boren
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  All NSL MODELS.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  299.6 KB  
Old 03-30-2017, 11:05 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
The registration page has a line for NAR or TRA number, but says it's optional. I think anyone can attend.

The request for NAR or Tripoli number on the registration page is partly for verification of high power certification, and partly for the name badges that all registered participants will receive. If you're high power certified, your name badge will list your certification level and which organization you're certified through.

Membership in one of the national organizations is not required to fly low/mid power or to spectate.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:07 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Weather today was good. Got some new stuff primed, and even some paint on a few others. Hopefully I'll be able to take a few pictures of my newest builds for NSL in a couple days.

I got out one of my new Honest Johns (BT-60 sized) from storage. Hope to start it tomorrow. I should try to finish the Mini Honest John I started several weeks ago. I airfoiled the fins, which was insanely difficult to do (almost impossible to hold while sanding), and then started toughening them with CA since the edges are so thin. Lots more sanding and filling needed to make them smooth. It could be done by NSL (roughly two months away).

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 04-01-2017, 12:53 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalinaty
The Sierra Blanca challenge sounds very cool. I love the idea of flying the same rocket multiple times to hit a cumulative altitude. I might use this type of event for my local club.

This contest is based on a "Pike's Peak or Bust" cumulative altitude contest that was held in Pueblo at NSL 2013. The contest was originally conceived for the sport range at NARAM 52 in Pueblo in 2010, but with slightly different rules -- for example, you not only had to use the same rocket for all flights, but also the same motor class. We offered our "Sierra Blanca" version at NSL 2010 as a test run for the Pike's Peak contest, since NSL 2010 was two months earlier than NARAM 52 (I was serving as an advisor for NARAM 52 while also being Event Director for NSL 2010 that year). The original version didn't attract many participants - we had only one person enter the contest for NSL 2010. I observed at NSL 2013 that the revised version attracted more participants, so we revised our rules accordingly.

Last edited by Jim9199 : 04-01-2017 at 01:35 AM.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:20 AM
Junior Rocketeer

I'm not planning to do a whole lot of flying during NSL because I'm planning to spend most of the weekend being available to assist attendees and make sure everything is running smoothly, but I do plan to put up a few flights. I'm planning to bring my ketchup and mustard squeeze bottle oddrocs to fly because that is always a crowd pleaser (I'm going to have to take some pictures of them this weekend and post them), and if I can make the necessary repairs to the motor mount I may bring my (mid power) ball point pen oddroc to fly as well -- this was a rocket that got its maiden flight at NSL 2002 in Phoenix. Otherwise, I'll pull a couple of my favorite non-oddrocs out of my fleet to bring with to NSL and maybe fly them if I'm not too busy helping others.

If I have time, I hope to get a new rocket built for the night launch that will feature L.E.D. lights. I spotted a solar-powered 50 light L.E.D. Christmas light string in Target a few years ago that looked promising for a night launch rocket -- the solar panel will easily fit inside a 4" airframe, the lights are fairly bright, and although I don't know how long the charge will last when the string is lit, I've observed that it holds a charge for a long time (> year) without the solar panel being exposed to light for recharging. I envision using thin walled 4" tubing and building the rocket as a G powered bird. But, that's if time allows. The time demands of organizing and promoting NSL plus my day job as a business owner means that free time to actually build will be in limited supply over the next two months.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:08 AM
Master Modeler

While both my V2 and Goblin are waiting for the color paint to be applied I decided to finish up the 3" Dia. QCC Explorer. I still need to glue the fin\intake pods in place, but it's getting close to being framed up and ready for final finishing.

John Boren
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  3 inch QCC.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  114.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  QCC Pods.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  224.9 KB  
Old 04-02-2017, 12:32 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Here are the ketchup and mustard squeeze bottle oddrocs and the ballpoint pen oddroc that I am planning to bring to NSL:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_3371.JPG
Views: 73
Size:  301.6 KB