Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2017, 05:34 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
Forum posts of all kinds are dwindling. I visit two other forums, Verna is on two others (different) too and they're all down. Some people say it's due to other media outlets like Facebook, Twitter, etc.

As for rocketry, things here have always been a little slower than TRF or RP. TRF used to have almost 5 full pages on a daily basis but many days now it doesn't fill 2 pages but then TRF is it's own worst enemy.
FWIW, I'm on some other forums as well, mostly automotive. And the traffic there can be very light at times, too.

But what I see that I think is encouraging is that, like here, most of the posts are cogent and coherent - I don't have to read them three times to decipher what the OP meant. (And I don't usually do that - I just skip over gibberish.)

Anyway, what I'm driving at is that, while Twitter and Facebook have attracted many folks who are incapable of hitting the 140 character limit, I do perceive some sustained demand for forums where folks actually make thoughtful, involved posts that actually have some content (as opposed to unpuncuated crap from someone's cell phone using voice recognition).

Seriously, while the millennials have reduced communication to the text version of grunting and pointing, some of us still like to carry on intelligent conversations.

So, while the traffic may be slow lately, the good thing is that folks are still here who like to communicate intelligently

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 11-01-2017, 05:49 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
Forum posts of all kinds are dwindling. I visit two other forums, Verna is on two others (different) too and they're all down. Some people say it's due to other media outlets like Facebook, Twitter, etc.

As for rocketry, things here have always been a little slower than TRF or RP. TRF used to have almost 5 full pages on a daily basis but many days now it doesn't fill 2 pages but then TRF is it's own worst enemy.

Randy
http://www.vernarockets.com
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHJHOK6
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O14ET8K
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CX1UPCG

Sad, but true. Facebook is quite a bit more noise in general, but you can weed out and block a lot of it. The true rocketry content is reachable without putting on waders to get through the fecal puddles. I keep checking here, but the bulk of my posting happens there for a reason. More response.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 11-01-2017, 09:46 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
FWIW, I'm on some other forums as well, mostly automotive. And the traffic there can be very light at times, too.

But what I see that I think is encouraging is that, like here, most of the posts are cogent and coherent - I don't have to read them three times to decipher what the OP meant. (And I don't usually do that - I just skip over gibberish.)

Anyway, what I'm driving at is that, while Twitter and Facebook have attracted many folks who are incapable of hitting the 140 character limit, I do perceive some sustained demand for forums where folks actually make thoughtful, involved posts that actually have some content (as opposed to unpuncuated crap from someone's cell phone using voice recognition).

Seriously, while the millennials have reduced communication to the text version of grunting and pointing, some of us still like to carry on intelligent conversations.

So, while the traffic may be slow lately, the good thing is that folks are still here who like to communicate intelligently

Doug

Like!

OL J R