Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2018, 06:20 AM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Same domain, different host/server.

-- Roger
Old 04-21-2018, 11:18 PM
Craftsman

This is my first post here in... awhile. My kid was doing rockets at his church group the past few weeks and we launched them today. That piqued my interest in the hobby again, and I went to Fliskit's website and noticed the same thing.

So I came here to ask the same question, but then saw this thread ,from a few months ago, essentially asking the very same things I noticed (e.g. the site talks about a 2015 tour, the "new" 2015 catalog, etc. I'd be a little hesitant to spend money there at the moment.

I know Jim was active here when I was more active a number of years ago... sad that he isn't around here anymore from what it sounds like in the replies above.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:30 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Fliskits is listed as a vendor for NSL-2018 in Geneseo, NY.

AND ... in other exciting news ...

I’m going! Monster road trip from Colorado. Also 2 days at Air Force Museum in Dayton, including Build Night at eRockets!

My wife is joining me, so we are also doing a couple days at Niagara Falls, and then down to Myrtle Beach, SC to see friends, with a stop in Virginia to see a John Fogerty and ZZ Top.

Return trip home not planned yet ... but it could be adventurous.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 04-22-2018, 12:35 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfischer
This is my first post here in... awhile. My kid was doing rockets at his church group the past few weeks and we launched them today. That piqued my interest in the hobby again, and I went to Fliskit's website and noticed the same thing.

So I came here to ask the same question, but then saw this thread ,from a few months ago, essentially asking the very same things I noticed (e.g. the site talks about a 2015 tour, the "new" 2015 catalog, etc. I'd be a little hesitant to spend money there at the moment.

I know Jim was active here when I was more active a number of years ago... sad that he isn't around here anymore from what it sounds like in the replies above.

Jim's active on Facebook. FlisKits is still apparently a secondary activity, or he gets all the business he needs.

But yes, as a website developer, I've wanted to get my hands on that website since I first saw it. He must be happy with it the way it is, though. Probably wouldn't want to spend what I would charge for a proper refresh.

Another thing is that he might be getting enough business from eRockets and Apogee.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:11 AM
BAR 13790

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Fliskits is listed as a vendor for NSL-2018 in Geneseo, NY.

NSL folks also indicated that he is developing at least one Commemorative kit for them.

And one has to remember, Fliskits is basically a one man shop that is a sideline.

There is limited budget to pay someone to redo the web site and probably limited time to work on it himself. I recall a few years ago people balking about his lack of social network presence, and he responded then about it was taking too much time to try to keep YORF, TRF, Facebook, etc updated.

Meanwhile, he has tons of great kits and rather than hesitate to purchase from him the rocket community should support him. I have 35 of his kits.......... (let's not go there)

I am just waiting for his next kit to purchase myself. I just hope it is not a 3FNC (rare for Jim) or an MMX (never got interested in those small rockets)
Old 04-22-2018, 11:44 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
Meanwhile, he has tons of great kits and rather than hesitate to purchase from him the rocket community should support him. I have 35 of his kits.......... (let's not go there)

To be clear, I just ordered 2 fliskits rockets from eRockets yesterday, so I'm not hesitating to buy. But... I'm sure there are a lot of people who would hesitate to sent money to a website that looked like it hadn't been updated in going on 3 years... especially people who haven't been around the hobby and know of Jim.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:33 PM
Craftsman

Just heard today that Fliskits is closing. Very sad.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:47 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:

Where did you hear/read this?

Edit: Nevermind, I see Jim posted it on his website. I just read it through and he said more would be posted here and at TRF but I haven't seen anything yet here or there. It's possible he just posted that statement on his website today. Sad to see him go. He was a great vendor to have at the three NARCON's WOOSH put on. Not only as someone that was selling their wares but as a presenter.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 07-07-2018, 11:53 PM
Old BAR

Sad.
I really like his original designs.
I flew my Borialis today in fact at our ROSCO launch in Rembert.
A first flight, it flew flawlessly.
I will miss his neat imagination!

Allen
Old 07-08-2018, 12:16 AM
Avid Builder

Quote:

Announced by Jim at NSL in late May. See the thread at TRF:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...3/#post-1789954

Right after that there was a run on his kits, that's why vendors are showing most of his kits now as out of stock. Same thing as when Wes O. (Dr. Zooch) announced his closing.

I understand that he wants to spend more time with his grandkids, as well as concentrate more on his education career. I wish him well.