Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-14-2018, 10:30 PM
mojo1986's Avatar
mojo1986 mojo1986 is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kingston, CANADA
Posts: 1,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
If by "a few" you mean a few thousand, yes. Probably half or more of the current NAR membership would like some B14/B8's and C5's. Just about all of us NAR folks that still fly low power would like to have a box full of them to lift our bulky projects on small fields. The other half probably only cares about HPR. Most buyers that aren't NAR members wouldn't know what they had if they saw them on the store shelves. Unfortunately, that's where Estes makes their profit.



Actually I was referring to the B14. If you started a petition to send to Estes, I doubt if you could get a few hundred signatures, let alone a few thousand. And most of the signatories would probably be signing just to support their friends who wanted them............especially GH.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-14-2018, 10:56 PM
tbzep's Avatar
tbzep tbzep is offline
Dazed and Confused
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 8,666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Actually I was referring to the B14. If you started a petition to send to Estes, I doubt if you could get a few hundred signatures, let alone a few thousand. And most of the signatories would probably be signing just to support their friends who wanted them............especially GH.

Whoever's left in the hobby that had real B14's would want them again. Most of us that had B14's actually had the pintle version which was really a B8 initially labeled a B14. The vast majority in the hobby never had any of the core burners so if you never had them, you'd never miss them. As for a petition, we are so spread out, we wouldn't even be able to get a few thousand to sign for the very survival of the hobby unless it was an online petition. BTW, several that want them wouldn't sign the petition in order to thwart GH's quest for the holy B14 grail.
__________________
I love sanding.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-14-2018, 11:45 PM
ghrocketman's Avatar
ghrocketman ghrocketman is offline
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,800
Default

I still have a stash of real drilled-core B14's, some pintle-pressed B14's that are actually B8s, as well as correctly labeled B8's.
I'm VERY stingy when I burn a "real" drilled B14....I used one early this spring in a vintage Astron Sprint.
I have been able to create "pseudo" B14's with B4-2s and B4-4s as the base motor, but that still does not get one a B14/B8 booster motor which is what is really needed.
I'd be happy if Estes would bring back the B8-0 and C5-0/3.
An 18mm booster in B and C flavors with a real kick...the 24mm C11 just is not the same.

I hate the BOGUS "safety" argument against making them. I HATE SAFETY WEENIES.
__________________
When in doubt, WHACK the GAS and NEVER touch the brake !!!
No Harm=NO Foul advocate

If you are NOT FLYING LOW in the left lane, you need to GET THE #$&@ OUT of it !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask, you probably aren't
!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-14-2018, 11:52 PM
tbzep's Avatar
tbzep tbzep is offline
Dazed and Confused
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 8,666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I hate the BOGUS "safety" argument against making them. I HATE SAFETY WEENIES.

Then go with the "profit" argument. It adds an extra step. That means design and build a machine which costs money, or pay somebody to drill them the old fashioned way, which will cost more than just the salary of the employee.
__________________
I love sanding.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-15-2018, 06:42 AM
mojo1986's Avatar
mojo1986 mojo1986 is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kingston, CANADA
Posts: 1,643
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Whoever's left in the hobby that had real B14's would want them again. Most of us that had B14's actually had the pintle version which was really a B8 initially labeled a B14. The vast majority in the hobby never had any of the core burners so if you never had them, you'd never miss them. As for a petition, we are so spread out, we wouldn't even be able to get a few thousand to sign for the very survival of the hobby unless it was an online petition. BTW, several that want them wouldn't sign the petition in order to thwart GH's quest for the holy B14 grail.



Well, I don't want them, but I'd sign for GH, if only to silence him on the issue............
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-15-2018, 08:02 AM
ghrocketman's Avatar
ghrocketman ghrocketman is offline
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,800
Default

The B8/C5 don't require an extra step in production; they just press the propellant around a small pintle.
__________________
When in doubt, WHACK the GAS and NEVER touch the brake !!!
No Harm=NO Foul advocate

If you are NOT FLYING LOW in the left lane, you need to GET THE #$&@ OUT of it !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask, you probably aren't
!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-15-2018, 09:41 AM
astronwolf astronwolf is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Well, I don't want them, but I'd sign for GH, if only to silence him on the issue............

Or you can just keep reporting his ridiculous posts. Off topic thread stealer. Maybe eventually he'll just get banned. I'd ban him without any hesitation.
__________________
-Wolfram v. Kiparski
NAR 28643
TRA 15520
MTMA Senior Advisor
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-15-2018, 09:46 AM
tbzep's Avatar
tbzep tbzep is offline
Dazed and Confused
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 8,666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
The B8/C5 don't require an extra step in production; they just press the propellant around a small pintle.

Was talking about the real B14. There's no safety issue for the pintle version.
__________________
I love sanding.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-19-2018, 05:37 PM
BEC's Avatar
BEC BEC is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auburn, Washington
Posts: 2,291
Default

Yeah, I keep looking for the .pdf myself and just looked again a moment ago.....
__________________
Bernard Cawley
NAR 89040 L1 - Life Member
SAM 0061
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2018