Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2018, 09:39 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Just say NO to ALL water-based paints.
They are ALL crapola compared to dope/lacquer.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-02-2018, 10:30 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Airbrushed tee? I figured you'd go for one of the Big Johnson tees.

I think those came a couple of years later. Surprisingly, never owned one.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 08-03-2018, 08:22 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARGeezer
Rather than dishing out for an air compressor, I bought a couple of cans of Propel recently. That way if I sucked at it I wouldn't be out that much. Still haven't started the learning curve though. Bought a couple of books and a paint set with airbrush.

The problem with canned "air" is that the pressure they deliver varies with temperature. Since the cans get cold as you use them it's hard to get a consistent pressure over time and becomes frustrating, at least that's how I found them to work. It's also (as already pointed out) an expensive alternative in the long run.

I'm experimenting with air brushes again myself due to all of the rattle can problems that have come up. What I'm finding is that a good primer still comes from a can; a white sandable seems to work the best for acrylics. And I've had pretty good luck with Createx or Testors acrylic paint. I've been hearing rave reviews about Mission Model paints and will probably try those next time I order from e-Rockets (haven't been able to find them locally.)

I've also come to the conclusion that you really need two brushes, a dual action for finishing since you can control the paint as you need it (and get in really close to deliver paint to a specific spot without it getting anywhere else and no runs) and a single action that can deliver large swaths of paint. Best part of a dual action is that you can get away with masking just an immediate area without having to tape off or cover everything else. You can't do that with a rattle can even when they do work.

NAR 78486 L2
Old 08-04-2018, 04:24 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

For anyone on a budget, an old spare tire can be used as a compressed air source.

Joe
Old 08-04-2018, 07:36 AM
Master Modeler

I have this compressor that I got from HFT. It is quiet, works well and it is sold by other vendors at a higher price. I am happy with it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/16-hp...ssor-60329.html
Old 08-04-2018, 07:39 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint60
The problem with canned "air" is that the pressure they deliver varies with temperature. Since the cans get cold as you use them it's hard to get a consistent pressure over time and becomes frustrating, at least that's how I found them to work. It's also (as already pointed out) an expensive alternative in the long run.

I'm experimenting with air brushes again myself due to all of the rattle can problems that have come up. What I'm finding is that a good primer still comes from a can; a white sandable seems to work the best for acrylics. And I've had pretty good luck with Createx or Testors acrylic paint. I've been hearing rave reviews about Mission Model paints and will probably try those next time I order from e-Rockets (haven't been able to find them locally.)

I've also come to the conclusion that you really need two brushes, a dual action for finishing since you can control the paint as you need it (and get in really close to deliver paint to a specific spot without it getting anywhere else and no runs) and a single action that can deliver large swaths of paint. Best part of a dual action is that you can get away with masking just an immediate area without having to tape off or cover everything else. You can't do that with a rattle can even when they do work.

I have heard the same thing regarding the Mission Models paint. In regarding primer, have you trued Vallejo Primer? It sprays nicely and let it fully cure before sanding it. I use it for my plastic scale models.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:06 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
For anyone on a budget, an old spare tire can be used as a compressed air source.

Joe

or, you can get just a tank without the compressor. Then fill it as needed.

Starport Sagitta Rockets
email bherman@sagittarockets.com

NAR # 97971 SR

What's your idea on the best way to change Washington D.C.?
Let us know at the Cantina
Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:41 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanche3
Does anybody airbrush there rockets? If so what do you use. I found a good deal on a nice hobby size compressor and I'm trying figure out whether to buy it or not. Seems it would beat rattle can painting.

Kevin, yeah I think you should get the compressor. I'm still new to airbrushing but as I've been thinking about it since I first saw your question, the reasons to airbrush are compelling.

Less loss - a small bottle will paint a lot of area.

Good control - with a dual action brush you can get right into small areas and deliver just the right amount of paint, but you can also back off and cover a large area.

Lot's of paint options - enamels, lacquers, acrylics, etc. (but I'm told if you use oil based products in a brush you won't be able to use water base in it afterward.)

I find that acrylics are very light. Down side to acrylics is that that kind of paint doesn't stick like enamels do and also are sensitive to cleaners, especially ammonia.

There is a learning curve and an investment in hardware though.

For a well done overview on brushes see Don's Airbrush Tips (Google - it'll be at the top). His personal fav is a Badger 155 Anthem for good reasons. My preference is a Paasche VL, but I acknowledge he has way more experience than I do. I think John B. mentioned that he uses a Iwata in another thread. All well made and very usable brushes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism
I have heard the same thing regarding the Mission Models paint. In regarding primer, have you trued Vallejo Primer? It sprays nicely and let it fully cure before sanding it. I use it for my plastic scale models.

Thanks for the info, Chris. I'll definitely give Vallejo primer a try.

NAR 78486 L2
Old 08-07-2018, 09:08 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Well I bought both an airbrush and the compressor. Unfortunately I had to bring the compressor back, it wouldn’t shut off and the pressure wouldn’t go past 35psi and down to 10psi when I pressed the trigger. I bought the Iwata Neo BCN. I did alright on a piece of body tube to test with. I bought some CreatexWicked colors to try out. I also bought some Pledge Future, this I’m not sure about. I don’t think I sprayed enough. It didn’t flatten to well. It’s shiny but matte looking. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:12 PM
Dazed and Confused

I apply Future with a sponge brush for deep shiny clear coats. If you want to practice cheap, Walmart has 99 cent acrylic paints in arts and crafts. I've even used it on a couple rockets, but I strained it first.