Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2018, 04:54 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew
I'm personally surprised that a shot of Baileys is good for anything other than increasing the desire to have another.

We also just keep ours in the liquor cabinet, and I live in the tropics. We just pour it over ice if we want it chilled.
I'm hoping that it will (Roy's comment sounds promising). My father would drink such a small amount of blackberry wine before going to bed, as it helped him get to sleep. Also:

When I stayed and helped out at the Northcote Heavy Horse Center in Lincolnshire for a couple of weeks in August of 2010, one evening the (retired) couple who had originally founded the place invited me to try the wines (with cheese) of Saumur, the region of France where they now live. All told, I'd be surprised if I had as much as 8 ounces in total all evening (none of us even got tipsy, because we'd eat a little cheese, then take a sip, and so on). I slept very well that night, and had no muscle tightness problems.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 10-31-2018, 05:11 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Bailey's is pretty much the "gold standard" Irish cream liqueur; I'm a bit of a liquor connoisseur.
My idea of decent Scotch starts at about $80 per 750ml and goes WAY up from there....
That's what my late friend told me, too; he said that Baileys was the best, and that Emmets was very similar, but a little cheaper
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Can your doc prescribe you Valium or Flexeril as a muscle relaxant ? Both are way better than an ounce of Bailey's.
Too bad about your situation with the "green leaf" vs. your pain clinic. That is far safer and more natural than most pharmaceuticals.
I'm sure that she could prescribe those; it's just that the morphine is such a troublesome--although necessary--medication for me that I'd rather avoid taking another prescription drug if I can avoid it. (I know that alcohol is a drug too, but in addition to actually tasting good, the Irish Cream is almost certainly free of unpleasant side effects, and in the small daily doses in which I'll take it, it won't interact badly--if noticeably at all--with the morphine tablets.) I heartily agree about the cannabis; my late uncle Bill, a former rodeo cowboy, had oral cancer (from chewing tobacco as a young man), and he swore by cannabis tea, which controlled the cancer pain without making him the least bit non-lucid. (The "magic mushrooms" grow here in Alaska, too [I've seen them in nearby woods], but with my luck I'd get caught by a random urine test at the clinic.)
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 10-31-2018, 02:22 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

A 20+ year old tradition started at our Friday Night Launches and Campouts at Pawnee Grasslands in Northern Colorado was to consume what we dubbed “Pudding Delights” — a Jello Pudding Cup (vanilla recommended) enhanced with a pour of Bailey’s or Kahlua. Fill to the rim, stir, and enjoy.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 10-31-2018, 04:23 PM
Craftsman

I was just remembering that when I was in my late teens, my best friend's mother used to make Irish Cream. I think it was something like a cup of Irish Whisky, some chocolate syrup, and pouring cream. There's bound to be good recipes on the Internet. Might save a few dollars over the long run if you're that way inclined.

That one we used to keep refrigerated, btw.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:45 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

If you use even moderately decent Irish Whiskey (Bailey's does, Emmet's and Carolans does not) for making "home brew" Irish cream liqueur along with real CREAM (not half/half or some other nonsense) you will be hard pressed to do it for under $20/750ml.
The main taste difference between Bailey's and the cheaper brands is due to the use of crappy Irish whisky used by the cheap-o brands.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 10-31-2018, 07:02 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Somebody gave us an off brand Irish Cream a few years ago. I think it was Brendan’s. We used it in coffee. By itself, or over ice, it was not in the same league as Bailey’s.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 10-31-2018, 07:20 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Somebody gave us an off brand Irish Cream a few years ago. I think it was Brendan’s. We used it in coffee. By itself, or over ice, it was not in the same league as Bailey’s.

I just checked, I have a bottle of St. Brandon's...Lee is correct.

It just tastes...off.

Eh..it was a gift.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 10-31-2018, 07:39 PM

Most "off brand" liqueur is just that..."off" and sucks.
Irish Cream- Get Bailey's.
Coffee- Kahlua or Tia Maria; both great but different.
Raspberry- Chambord
Orange- Cointreau or Grand Marnier; different but equally good- NEVER get orange Triple Sec; that stuff is total crap.
Amaretto- DiSaronno- Nothing is even close
Limoncello- most all brands $18 and above are good.
Hazelnut- Frangelico
Absinthe- Lucid
Cognac- Nothing below XO grade (pricey but worth it), Remy Martin, Courvosier, and Hennessy all good.

Trying to substitute those on the cheap is like comparing Salisbury steak to Ribeye...not even close.
ALWAYS go for QUALITY over quantity !
Life is too short to drink cheap liquor.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:58 AM
Craftsman

Default My experience with Baileys

My sister-in-law was raving about how good the stuff was. I got a bottle to try and thought it was OK, but I was not as crazy about it as she was. Anyway, I put the bottle in the liquor cabinet along with all our other stuff, and the next time I pulled it out I found it had turned into a $30 bottle of goo.

I was told afterward that you are supposed to refrigerate Baileys after you open the bottle but I went back and looked at the label and it said NOTHING about refrigeration.

However it tastes (and I have found many other liquids that I enjoy far more), I will not be purchasing any more of the stuff.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:48 AM

A bottle of Bailey's would have to sit unrefrigerated for over 2 years to turn to "goo".