Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2019, 02:43 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorley
Spray adhesive can take care of that. Worst case, I've had pretty good results recreating foil decals by putting chrome trim monokote on the rocket first, then printing a decal of the details and applying it over top.

That's what I've used in the past when it's been necessary.

There are quite a few decals to apply to this model, so it will be somewhat tedious to spray each one before application. But, with these vintage kits, decals tend to be the 'problem child', either metallic ones like these (fairly rare in most kits) or, most frequently, old water slide decals that either crack easily or need some extra work/solutions to keep them from 'silvering' or to keep them snugged down good after application. Generally, I've found successful workarounds in each case, it just takes a bit more time and patience compared to a 'new' kit.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 05-15-2019, 03:23 PM
'nother Old Fart BAR....

OK, I'll bite...

I don't usually post build threads on the forums, but I have a good one going on my blog...

An Estes Protostar done up Steampunk style !

I'm up to part 28 so far with lots more to come.

Here is a link to post #1;

https://castlerocketeer.blogspot.co...-adventure.html

Enjoy!

Check out my wonderful model rocketry blog here:
https://castlerocketeer.blogspot.com/
Old 05-15-2019, 03:28 PM
'nother Old Fart BAR....

A quick note on that Protostar build.... The first post on the blog states that I am not going to do a build thread, but I changed plans....

Here is the link to part 2.....

https://castlerocketeer.blogspot.co...considered.html

Last edited by Blastfromthepast : 05-15-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:39 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastfromthepast
A quick note on that Protostar build.... The first post on the blog states that I am not going to do a build thread, but I changed plans....

Here is the link to part 2.....

https://castlerocketeer.blogspot.co...considered.html

As an old Centuri buff, that Prostar looks a *little* like the old Centuri Quasar, which itself was a throwback to the Buck Rogers science fiction era.

Post some reminder links to your blog as you go so we can see your progress.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 05-15-2019, 08:10 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Good to see some action here! I’ve been consumed with home repair/remodeling, in anticipation of a possible move. Our kids and grandkids are in the Denver area, and we want to be closer. And, we are dealing with aging parents still in their home, and they really should not be.

I’m trying to get my Saturn V build restarted, but not having much luck with all the distractions. Last week, while my wife was visiting parents, I escaped to Apogee Rockets with a friend.

I ended up with some printed nylon chutes. Similar to Top Flight thin mill, but with colored patterns. Pretty cool. I also picked up a Semroc Spaceman. Ever since I got my 1964 Estes catalog as a kid, I’ve wanted one. I have no idea why I never got one, but when I saw the Semroc Spaceman on display, I had to have it. It was painted silver, and had black decals that reminded me of Gort from The Day the Earth Stood Still. Apogee has a built model of every kit they sell, on display in their lobby. It’s amazing how different some kits look when built, as opposed to my perception of them from facecard pictures, or even a kit picture.

One real benefit to visiting Apogee in person, besides not paying shipping, is that there is usually free parts available. It might be a tube that is the wrong length, or has incorrectly lasered fin slots, or some tubular nylon too short for its intended kit, but something easily useable for a different build.

I definitely did not need another kit, but figured I’d build it in parallel with my Saturn build, maybe as a diversion during the more difficult assembly steps on the Saturn, or while waiting for some recently glued assembly to dry.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 05-16-2019, 08:16 AM
'nother Old Fart BAR....

Will do, Earl,
Lee, you're gonna love that Spaceman model. They are really fun to fly, as well as being great for small fields. Just don't fly it anywhere where it might land on an asphalt surface. That makes for some nasty dents atop the head.

Last edited by Blastfromthepast : 05-16-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:55 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Good to see some action here! I’ve been consumed with home repair/remodeling, in anticipation of a possible move. Our kids and grandkids are in the Denver area, and we want to be closer. And, we are dealing with aging parents still in their home, and they really should not be.

I’m trying to get my Saturn V build restarted, but not having much luck with all the distractions. Last week, while my wife was visiting parents, I escaped to Apogee Rockets with a friend.

I ended up with some printed nylon chutes. Similar to Top Flight thin mill, but with colored patterns. Pretty cool. I also picked up a Semroc Spaceman. Ever since I got my 1964 Estes catalog as a kid, I’ve wanted one. I have no idea why I never got one, but when I saw the Semroc Spaceman on display, I had to have it. It was painted silver, and had black decals that reminded me of Gort from The Day the Earth Stood Still. Apogee has a built model of every kit they sell, on display in their lobby. It’s amazing how different some kits look when built, as opposed to my perception of them from facecard pictures, or even a kit picture.

One real benefit to visiting Apogee in person, besides not paying shipping, is that there is usually free parts available. It might be a tube that is the wrong length, or has incorrectly lasered fin slots, or some tubular nylon too short for its intended kit, but something easily useable for a different build.

I definitely did not need another kit, but figured I’d build it in parallel with my Saturn build, maybe as a diversion during the more difficult assembly steps on the Saturn, or while waiting for some recently glued assembly to dry.

I really love going into the Apogee store - enjoy drooling on all the stuff on display. If Tim is around he'll come out and chat a little. I didn't know about the free parts - I'll have to keep that in mind when I'm in town in July!

NAR 78486 L2
Old 05-21-2019, 12:12 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Our club launch scheduled for the 18th was rained out. So I spent most of Saturday afternoon sanding about six pounds of paint off of a pair BMS 3-inch School Rockets. Long story but they were built by two of my wife's students. At the end of the school year they were lying around in the craft closet in danger of being trashed so she brought them home.

One of them is constructed well save for the rookie glops of glue where fillets should be and the centering rings are reversed so the shock cord is literally hanging from the bottom of the rocket - tied to the lower ring. The hook is in the correct place though.

The other one was assembled OK except that he apparently didn't use much (if any) glue. The fins were held on more-or-less by the paint. So, I completely disassembled it and it's getting an upgrade or two. Mainly, a longer, foil lined motor tube and a baffle. You can't imagine how ugly it was - he must have used an entire can of navy blue spray paint and held it in his hand. Thick and very rough.

They're getting refurbished along side a stalled-out Fiis Acme Spitfire build. I'll get back on that this week if it keeps raining like they say it will. Funny, a referb job on two kits that have never known a motor. These BMS School Rockets are really great kits; especially good for an aerospace class. The others were built pretty well and flown and they all fly great! E28-4s are perfect motors. One of the kids burned an E12-4 in hers and it was beautiful.

NAR 78486 L2