Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2019, 09:27 PM
Aggressor Aerospace

Quote:
Originally Posted by britroc
As a result I'm not sorry to say that Noris Raketen are no longer on either my browse or purchase list and Estes, Apogee or Rocketarium will be my chosen suppliers from now on !

Britroc - so sorry to hear about your troubles with Noris Raketen. I ordered stuff from them years ago, so I definitely forgot how long it took them to respond. I agree with the negative comments on their Vostok and Soyuz kits. When I saw the built models at Apogee, I was far from impressed.

That being said, one could say that most scale kits are just starting points. You can always add more detail, just as it is with plastic models. We've had countless discussions in this very forum about how to make the various Saturn V kits more accurate, especially when it comes to fin size. Another fabulous model which can be improved is the Fliskits Thunderbird (in which you have an interest, I believe). The Fliskits model is fabulous - especially the paper parts (offset cones, nozzles, etc). However, the main body tube is too short and the nose cone is MUCH too short. I tweaked mine a bit and think the result looks much closer to the real McCoy.

As for the Noris V-1, it isn't much for scale accuracy since the motor is in the main body instead of the pulse-jet tube. Still, it can look pretty cool with some work. Again, I'd pay attention to what the dimensions SHOULD be. The only other Noris model I have built is the Bachem Natter. A weird little kit, where the nose cone, centering rings, and boattail make the tube non-circular in cross section. Some of the kit parts were cheap junk that had to be replaced, and the rear fins are oversized. Yet, at the end of the day, I think it looks cool!

I hope your models come soon and you enjoy turning them into something special!
Old 06-21-2019, 07:41 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Frognbuff

Thanks for the message re Noris Kits but I am more concerned with the poor quality rather than their scale integrity.
I had to source a main body tube as the one supplied was an atrocious fit with both the nose and boat tail mouldings, the instructions were completely misleading in more than one place and the balsa sheet supplied for wings etc was of a poor quality and thickness and no wing or tail positional details were shown on the plan. As an aircraft (all disciplines)/boat/helicopter and autogyro modeller of many years standing, I have had quite a few of my own designs published in plan form sans complaints thus far

It comes as no surprise that Tim at Apogee does not wish to add this model to his saleable fleet and he would be better advised to offer a completely 'Apogee Designed' product.

Bill UKRA 2053
Old 06-21-2019, 12:05 PM
Craftsman

I love the Noris kits and have built the Apogee version of the Vostok, Soyuz and Ariane. Also built the Natter directly from the Reich. No American kit manufacturer who wanted to stay in business would attempt such a kit, the idiot factor is way too high. This is no boring 3'4FNC, it's much worse, a no good stinking oddroc that only acts to scare the bejeezus out of the RSO
The poor Euros have to fly this thing on a D9! Lazy Mericans with their thick tubes, big motors , laser cut fins and hand holding instructions.

The average German school girl can out drive most
American men, so what should you expect the skill level of the Noris V1 builder to be? Assemble and finish your vacuform and cardboard with skill. Do the math and calculate your CP! Directions, who needs them, the Noris builder is better than that! The squishy tube was perfect for the Natter. The cardboard fins work fine but are not bulletproof to Yankee taste. Don't be afraid of a repair, super glue it back on at the field and fly it again because it is now even stronger. Make your modifications because you have big North American motors! This is no Kasserine Pass! We will beat them at their own model rocket game! Don't need fancy stuff, just give me some parts! Old World craftsmanship still exists. Patience and skill over lasercut convenience and thick tube comfort. Love your Noris kit for what it is and you will get many successful flights and it will look good too!

Now I will have to go watch Patton again!
Old 06-21-2019, 04:09 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Sir

As an ex Royal Air Force veteran (22 years) I think my forebears taught the Germans all about aviation and getting their arses well and truly kicked sometime in 1940...... schpittfeur and all that !

After paying well over the odds for a poor quality 'kit' and paying even more for shipping and bank transfer fees, I would have expected a tad more communication from the vendor instead of "order seen" email with absolutely no dispatch advice given when requested.

Guess I was a victim of rache einkaufen ?..........tally ho chaps...save me an egg for brekkers
Old 06-21-2019, 05:45 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Based on the description given here, I will never purchase one of their TURD kits.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-21-2019, 07:39 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARGeezer

Oh wow! I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!

Joe
Old 06-23-2019, 07:37 PM
Master Modeler

I ordered and built the Noris Vostok model (actually wanted the Soyuz, but at the time, it was out of stock so I went ahead and got the Vostok instead). This is the write up I left concerning this kit on the Apogee website:

"I bought and built this kit back in the spring/summer of 2009. Main issue I had with this model is it's very lacking in detailing one would normally expect to see on a Soviet/Russian launch vehicle. I used my old MPC 1/100 scale Vostok model as a guide to enhance the detailing, plus used patterns from "paper" model rocket of the Vostok to further the surface detailing on the nose section. Cut a hole where the Vostok capsule would be visible and used a standard ping-pong ball as the Vostok capsule (fits perfectly). The use of just the engine hook in the engine mount without properly anchoring caused the hook to nearly rip out of the body tube when the engine's ejection charge went off. BTW, the D12-3 gave my model an excellent flight. Also, before launch, make sure the plastic engine nozzles are not close to the blast deflector, otherwise the heat from the engine will cause many of the plastic nozzles to become disfigured. It's a good model as a sport scale Vostok, but for the price, it's very lacking in detailing one would expect to find that's customary in Soviet/Russia launch vehicles. I believe I can fix the weak engine mount issue on my model, but just haven't gotten around to doing it."

The model is more like a sport scale of the Vostok.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Noris Vostok Model Build.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  175.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Noris Vostok Model Build 001.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  20.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Noris Vostok Model Build 002.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  163.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Challenger 498 Sport Launch @ Needville, TX 005.jpg