Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2007, 03:26 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Estes Old-Style Engine Hook

I know that they don't produce the old-style Estes engine hook anymore, but I like that hook better then the new-style hook. Does anyone feel the same way ? Also, my main question is, does anyone know of a place where the old-style hooks can be purchased ? Thank you.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:37 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatelliteInterceptor
I know that they don't produce the old-style Estes engine hook anymore, but I like that hook better then the new-style hook. Does anyone feel the same way ? Also, my main question is, does anyone know of a place where the old-style hooks can be purchased ? Thank you.

While they're a bit slimmer in cross-section, the SEMROC engine hooks have the same, simple profile as the original Estes hooks.

I think the BMS hooks are also similar in profile, but slimmer in width. Maybe not as slim as SEMROC's.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 08-25-2007, 07:31 AM
And so it begins...

Flis Kits also has standard size engine hooks.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:56 AM
Rocket Junkie

Quote:

Glad to know that I'm not the only one who hates the "new style" motor hook. I guess they're, not so new now.....they've been around for a long time. Here's what I do with them. I cut off the extra hook part with a tin-snips, straighten it a bit, and then bury the cut end in the front end of the motor mount. The end result is a motor hook that's a ringer for the old style one.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1
Glad to know that I'm not the only one who hates the "new style" motor hook. I guess they're, not so new now.....they've been around for a long time. Here's what I do with them. I cut off the extra hook part with a tin-snips, straighten it a bit, and then bury the cut end in the front end of the motor mount. The end result is a motor hook that's a ringer for the old style one.

Yup, same thing I do. Works great!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 08-25-2007, 11:04 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Yup, same thing I do. Works great!

I do the same, too. Be careful after you cut that ugly part off; the metal can be very, very
sharp and will cut your fingers/hand if you're careless afterwards (happened to me once)...

Also, BMS has the Estes original style engine hooks and works great, too.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:14 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:

Semroc, Fliskits, and BMS.

Quest and Custom produce some variation of the current Estes version.

I have about 30 original Estes clips, and a few from BMS and Flis. Just got a dozen or two more Estes clips from someone dumping his old rockets.

I replaced the clip in my Interceptor with an original Estes clip, but I decided to go with the current Estes clip in the Red Max.

In particular, don't use current Estes clips with mini-motors. They often impinge on the exhaust and cause thrust vectoring.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:09 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal
Semroc, Fliskits, and BMS.
In particular, don't use current Estes clips with mini-motors. They often impinge on the exhaust and cause thrust vectoring.

And, I can't tell you how many times I've seen the current Estes clips snag on to a clothes
pin support and the model, with the engine full of life, just sits there on the pad. Sometimes
very embarrassing to the rocket's owner....
Old 08-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

The old style engine clips can be easily made from the stainless steel metal clips used on wiper blades.

Stop by any auto service store (especially right at the begining of a good rain storm) and you can pick up a lifetime supply for free. One wiper blade gives you enough material for 8 to 12 engine clips.

Just use two pairs of pliers and a spent motor to guage the size.

The best way to cut the metal is with a good cold chisel, hammer (a high energy enertial device ) and the anvil flat area of a good vise.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 08-25-2007, 01:44 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1

I don't do any cutting, but simply bend the art deco end up a tad until it's parallel with the long end. Then I turn the clip around backward. The modified end can be used to attach the Kevlar to (with a dab of epoxy), and the "front" end becomes the new business end.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635