Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2007, 03:43 PM
Junior Rocketeer

They were in a plastic bag in cardboard box in a garage in MN for 30 years. Before that they were in Houston... I imagine they were exposed to large temperature extremes, but they seem to be in pretty good shape, and have never been used. That's all I know...
Old 10-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Shipping

Hey everyone who's interested...

I was able to successfully send 3 of those motors out via USPS today. SO, if you'd like a few let me know.

I may list them in the For Sale section on this forum too.

Thanks for everyone's advice and information!

--J
Old 10-03-2007, 12:08 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default USPS Paperwork, etc.

Hey interested parties,

Although I did send a few motors out via USPS yesterday, I see some members advising that more paperwork is probably required to do it "properly." So hopefully I'm not in postal jail by the time you all read this...

Anyway, I thought I'd wait to find out what the actual requirements for shipping these things on the up and up is, before sending out any more. It sounds like it can be done however, so that's good.

I've had a few people inquire about pricing...again, I have no idea. I suppose I could get bids from people and average them out into a fair price for all. OR I could post an Ebay auction (is that legal?) see what they fetch, and roughly base a price on that. Hopefully for everyone there's not some rich weird eccentric out there who'll bid up the price crazily (actually, it would take two such people wouldn't it?).

So...when I find out about shipping, I'll list a set of three in the For Sale section. In the meantime, if anyone has some honest pricing estimate, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I do have everyone's private messages saved, and I'll contact you when I get the shipping info..

Thanks for everyone's help and patience on this!!

--Joe
Old 10-03-2007, 12:43 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

eBay does not allow model rocket engines to be auctioned; why, I don't know as they are not responsible for the sellers products.

Just another freakin' ignorant MORONIC eBay rule.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 10-03-2007, 12:46 PM
Master Modeler

First of all, you cannot offer for sale any motors or igniters on Ebay, it's against their hazardous materials policy, and if you do, they will pull you listing immediately.

As a matter of fact, if you don't state in your posting for kits, and I mean kits only, someone will complain to Ebay and someone in their office will pull your posting because they have no clue about model rockets, even though Ebay makes lots of $$$$$ for each posting.....

To ship motors legally through the USPS, you need paperwork from a model rocket manufacturer, who usually issue paperwork to wholesalers and retailers, this is for domestic USA shipments only.

As it was mentioned previously, you cannot legally ship motors to and from Canada, period.

And, if you happened to ship motors via the USPS and they didn't go parcel post and they didn't have the proper paperwork attatched to the outside of the carton, who knows what will happen.

I know for sure motors cannot be sent first class/priority or express, they will end up on an aircraftm and with strict homeland security measures, you certainly don't need the postal service and the feds paying you a visit.

I'm not mentioning this to you to scare you off, rather to tell you about the current regulations.

Years ago it was much easier, I can remember the mailing tubes that Estes sent their motors out in.

Unfortunately, after 911, everytrhing has changed.

Last edited by Rocket Doctor : 10-03-2007 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Master Modeler

Look up Ebays policy regarding hazardous materials, and, they will also tell you that the usps will not allow motor shipments without the proper paperwork.

Yet, you can go on Ebay under rocketry and purchase chemicals, fuse, fireworks tubes and instruction booklets on how to make all types of stuff. You have to be kidding !!!!

The 49 year track record of model rockets and motors are evident of their safety, just more government regulations to hassle us with.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Not that I disagree with your position, but mine is slightly different from yours. The chemicals you buy to make fireworks are relatively less combustible than rocket motors...............you need to mix them in carefully measured proportions before they will burn really well. Fuse is another matter, although it would take a fair quantity of fuse to equal the black powder content of even a single 'A' engine, and in the event of a fire it won't go zipping around in the luggage compartment of the plane. All I know is I wouldn't want to be on a plane that had a serious fire, and having a box full of rocket engines in the hold would just make the situation worse. If I would be uncomfortable on a plane that was shipping rocket engines, then I'm morally obliged not to ship them by air.

Joe
Old 10-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Not that I disagree with your position, but mine is slightly different from yours. The chemicals you buy to make fireworks are relatively less combustible than rocket motors...............you need to mix them in carefully measured proportions before they will burn really well. Fuse is another matter, although it would take a fair quantity of fuse to equal the black powder content of even a single 'A' engine, and in the event of a fire it won't go zipping around in the luggage compartment of the plane. All I know is I wouldn't want to be on a plane that had a serious fire, and having a box full of rocket engines in the hold would just make the situation worse. If I would be uncomfortable on a plane that was shipping rocket engines, then I'm morally obliged not to ship them by air.

Joe

We all know what some diesel fuel and fertlizer can do, just ask Timothy McVeigh, oh thats right........

You need not just use chemicals purchased on Ebay to make black powder, and the chemical aren't just the ingreediants for BP.

It's the combination of many things that have changed the landscape in the world today.

In Vietnam, the VC used our unexploded bombs to make land mines, they weren't spending big buck like the US did. The same holds true in Iraq, IED are made from the crudest materials and look at the results.

This hobby was founded on the negatve effects that "basement bombers" had at the time, crude experiments with horrible results, we need not repeat those actions from the late 50's.

It's a whole new world out there that we all need to adapt to.....

Last edited by Rocket Doctor : 10-03-2007 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Launching since 1970.

Google rec.models.rockets for the term "BIG FINE" and read all about the potential penalty for shipping rocket motors without the proper paperwork/permission. It is a FEDERAL OFFENSE and you should not try to do it and see if you can get away with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weismann
Hey interested parties,

Although I did send a few motors out via USPS yesterday, I see some members advising that more paperwork is probably required to do it "properly." So hopefully I'm not in postal jail by the time you all read this...

Anyway, I thought I'd wait to find out what the actual requirements for shipping these things on the up and up is, before sending out any more. It sounds like it can be done however, so that's good.

I've had a few people inquire about pricing...again, I have no idea. I suppose I could get bids from people and average them out into a fair price for all. OR I could post an Ebay auction (is that legal?) see what they fetch, and roughly base a price on that. Hopefully for everyone there's not some rich weird eccentric out there who'll bid up the price crazily (actually, it would take two such people wouldn't it?).

So...when I find out about shipping, I'll list a set of three in the For Sale section. In the meantime, if anyone has some honest pricing estimate, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I do have everyone's private messages saved, and I'll contact you when I get the shipping info..

Thanks for everyone's help and patience on this!!

--Joe
Old 10-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
Google rec.models.rockets for the term "BIG FINE" and read all about the potential penalty for shipping rocket motors without the proper paperwork/permission. It is a FEDERAL OFFENSE and you should not try to do it and see if you can get away with it.

I didn't find that passage (if you have the link I'd like to read it), but I did find this on the same site:

* Most single use rockets motors with less than 62.5 grams of
propellant are now classified as UN 1.4s and can be shipped via
UPS (with a HAZMAT fee) or regular parcel post.

Pretty much the same info the hobby shop gave me. So hopefully, with enough explanation, proper marking of the box, going Parcel Post Surface, etc. I'll be ok. Last box I did I wrapped right in front of the Postal Clerk, so no problem there...I think.

rec.models.rockets is a great resource btw, thanks for the tip!