Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2008, 04:23 PM
B.A.R.

I went to WalMart today to look and there was no,... none,... nata,... rocket items.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:48 PM
mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
We go through this EVERY year. On The Rocketry Forum. In the old days on r.m.r , etc.

xxx SNIP xxx

Please save the text of this message and repost it in the future when this comes up every year or 3 times a year.

And I for one always appreciate the reminder . I picked up 10 packs at $3 each today.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:31 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

dropped by the local Wally World tonight to check, see .

NO kits except a couple very UGLY rtf jobs.

they did have two of the small 'cases' of C6-/5/7 engine, but they were 4.96, and NOT marked down, I even inquired to a clerk re: thee markdown and was told ' they must not have moved em yet" , no word on a potential markdown .

Will dropback in a few and see what happens.. although with prices going up at Estes, might not be a bad idea to stock up even at 4.96 ( except I have probabally 20-25 paks stashed already, lol... )

~ AL
Old 01-09-2008, 07:33 AM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
dropped by the local Wally World tonight to check, see .

NO kits except a couple very UGLY rtf jobs.

they did have two of the small 'cases' of C6-/5/7 engine, but they were 4.96, and NOT marked down, I even inquired to a clerk re: thee markdown and was told ' they must not have moved em yet" , no word on a potential markdown .

Will dropback in a few and see what happens.. although with prices going up at Estes, might not be a bad idea to stock up even at 4.96 ( except I have probabally 20-25 paks stashed already, lol... )

~ AL

Referring to my message number 11 above in this thread - I forgot to mention that many Wal-Marts will *NOT* clear out an item even if it is "deleted" at another location. Each store is different. But, there will be very little re-stocking during January as they do inventory and allow remaining holiday stock to dwindle away in preparation for resetting of the modulars.

Late January to February is the first major re-stocking period.

So, do not expect motors to be on sale at Wal-Mart. If you find them on sale at your local store, buy 'em.

If your store is going to carry motors all year round, then they will never go on sale unless a particular motor is dropped because there is no product to sell it with (A10-PT motors were dropped nationwide a year ago and should be long gone from store shelves at Wal-Mart).
Old 01-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Master Modeler

This morning, while on my way to work, I had the chance to drop in at one our two local
WalMart and check on the hobby aisle. Was surprised to see that they had at least a dozen
new Launchables on the shelf (SpaceShipOne, Bandit, Bull Pup, Sizzler/Star Dart combo, and
another two model combo -- didn't recognize the rocket designs so they must be something new). They also have some more Starter Outfits (Astrocam, etc). But their engine selection
was almost down to nothing (compared to my visit there a few weeks ago, it was the complete opposite, hardly and models but plenty of motors). So, maybe things may be
looking up at the Wal-Marts here in the Houston area....
Old 01-14-2008, 06:30 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
This morning, while on my way to work, I had the chance to drop in at one our two local
WalMart and check on the hobby aisle. Was surprised to see that they had at least a dozen
new Launchables on the shelf (SpaceShipOne, Bandit, Bull Pup, Sizzler/Star Dart combo, and
another two model combo -- didn't recognize the rocket designs so they must be something new). They also have some more Starter Outfits (Astrocam, etc). But their engine selection
was almost down to nothing (compared to my visit there a few weeks ago, it was the complete opposite, hardly and models but plenty of motors). So, maybe things may be
looking up at the Wal-Marts here in the Houston area....

That is amazing!
I just got back from South carolina, went to the local WM in Rock Hill, absolutely NO rockets, they never carried them and don't expect to be carrying them anytime soon.

I haven't seen any launchables at all in a very long time, maybe they found some stock in the back room.

At a local WM here, they had the same old two starter sets, and the same amount of motors, especially the A10's that have been there for ten months now. The only motors that I saw discounted was one pack of the A10 plugged motors.

Let's see what happens in the coming months, especially, when we approach summer time.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
That is amazing!
I just got back from South carolina, went to the local WM in Rock Hill, absolutely NO rockets, they never carried them and don't expect to be carrying them anytime soon.

I haven't seen any launchables at all in a very long time, maybe they found some stock in the back room.

At a local WM here, they had the same old two starter sets, and the same amount of motors, especially the A10's that have been there for ten months now. The only motors that I saw discounted was one pack of the A10 plugged motors.

Let's see what happens in the coming months, especially, when we approach summer time.

What "wowed" me this morning was the SpaceShipOne packaged in the Launchables. Of the
dozen or so Launchables I saw, I think half of the kits on the shelf were SpaceShipOne's.

Since I was in a hurry, I didn't get the chance to look hard at the second two model combo
mentioned in my previous post.

Also, while walking over toward the toy section, I passed by an end display near the toy section that had one of the Estes/Cox R/C airplane sets. Maybe I'll make a weekly visit
and see how well this item(s) moves. There must have been about two dozen of these
R/C airplane sets on two layers of shelf space. BTW, this particular Wal - Mart is right
next to a fairly brand new Hobby Lobby, and there's also a Michael's about a block away
(which, I might add, I purchased a pack of 1/2A3-4T's recently to use on my Gauchito
scale model that's been converted into a four engine cluster model). Hobby Lobby doesn't
carry the four second delay of the 1/2A3's.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:49 PM
7/21/61

Quote:
What "wowed" me this morning was the SpaceShipOne packaged in the Launchables.

Dave,

Me too. That's what got me to start this post. I haven't seen the SS1s in Launchables format for almost a year. And now there are lots of them, during the winter, and at clearance prices. That's a heck of a lot of kit for $7.

The Space Ship Ones always disappeared almost immediately every time they were put out in their previous appearance, so it would make sense to bring them back. The other kits with them aren't the X-Prize Launchables I would expect if it was old stock, but instead the Bullpup (a longtime apparently very popular Launchable), Bandito (almost RTF easy builder), and Hi-Fliers Launchable (best value for the money of any Estes offering ever).

I bet they could fit the Red Max in a Launchables box. Think they'd sell a few?

They should also bring back the Skywriter in the Launchables pack.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:13 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Dave,

Me too. That's what got me to start this post. I haven't seen the SS1s in Launchables format for almost a year. And now there are lots of them, during the winter, and at clearance prices. That's a heck of a lot of kit for $7.

The Space Ship Ones always disappeared almost immediately every time they were put out in their previous appearance, so it would make sense to bring them back. The other kits with them aren't the X-Prize Launchables I would expect if it was old stock, but instead the Bullpup (a longtime apparently very popular Launchable), Bandito (almost RTF easy builder), and Hi-Fliers Launchable (best value for the money of any Estes offering ever).

I bet they could fit the Red Max in a Launchables box. Think they'd sell a few?

They should also bring back the Skywriter in the Launchables pack.

I wish they would get the Star Chaser Thunderstar X-Prize kit in the Launchable format; I wanted to get one for a Regional meet last June at JSC to enter for the Future Scale/Science Fiction event, but couldn't find a single one at any of the Hobby Lobby's/Wal-Mart's/Michael's. So I "settled" with the last Gauchito kit I remembered seeing on the shelf at the same Wal-Mart I went to this morning; only this time, I redid the Gauchito from a single engine power to four engine cluster and gave it the "correct" finish to match with the data I had.

You can see a separate thread regarding this project (Gauchito) and plenty of pics here:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/fo...osts=21&start=1

We have several other Wal-Marts in the area I live, so hopefully by the end of this week I'll
have the chance to take a look at them, too.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:23 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I wish they would get the Star Chaser Thunderstar X-Prize kit in the Launchable format; I wanted to get one for a Regional meet last June at JSC to enter for the Future Scale/Science Fiction event, but couldn't find a single one at any of the Hobby Lobby's/Wal-Mart's/Michael's. So I "settled" with the last Gauchito kit I remembered seeing on the shelf at the same Wal-Mart I went to this morning; only this time, I redid the Gauchito from a single engine power to four engine cluster and gave it the "correct" finish to match with the data I had.

You can see a separate thread regarding this project (Gauchito) and plenty of pics here:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/fo...osts=21&start=1

We have several other Wal-Marts in the area I live, so hopefully by the end of this week I'll
have the chance to take a look at them, too.

The reason there are so many Space Ship One's showing up is because there are so many in stock.
If you remember, the SS1 were being given away as replacements for the X-15's.

All of the X Prize kits didn't sell well, the only kit that had a half way decent sales was the SS!.

You will NOT see the return of any X Prize kits , as the licencing agreement has not been resigned again.

So, if you want and can find any of the X Prize kits, especially the SS1, Canadian Arrow and Rubicon, I would suggest getting your hands on them, as I have mentioned above......thats it.

I also doubt that you will see the Red Max packaged in a launchable, the sales are much too high for that.

I had written all of the instructions for the X Prize kits, some were a real challenge starting from scratch.

RD