Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2005, 09:00 AM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke Rocketeer
Which ones? the B14's or Enerjet clones?

The Enerjet clones.

simple,old school composite motros, IMO easier to do that the B14's

~ AL
Old 09-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
The Enerjet clones.

simple,old school composite motros, IMO easier to do that the B14's
I'm waxing philosophical here, but...it seems to me that, while it would be extremely kewl to get some of these old Enerjet motors again, they would soon lose their luster. We'd soon be preferring smoky motors instead.

I guess what I'm saying is that we (me included) are trying to recapture a bygone thrill. And while we may actually achieve that - once - maybe two or three times - it quickly loses its potency and we're then looking elsewhere.

Somewhat similar, I get a thrill out of flying a new rocket, but after only a few flights I want to build and fly something new and different.

This all means that, while we'd buy one pack of those Enerjet motors, we probably wouldn't buy many more.

Sometimes yesterday's thrill makes for a mundane rerun. Nevertheless, I keep thinking I'd buy a bunch of those B14-0's :)

Doug
Old 09-02-2005, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
I'm waxing philosophical here, but...it seems to me that, while it would be extremely kewl to get some of these old Enerjet motors again, they would soon lose their luster. We'd soon be preferring smoky motors instead.

I guess what I'm saying is that we (me included) are trying to recapture a bygone thrill. And while we may actually achieve that - once - maybe two or three times - it quickly loses its potency and we're then looking elsewhere.

Somewhat similar, I get a thrill out of flying a new rocket, but after only a few flights I want to build and fly something new and different.

This all means that, while we'd buy one pack of those Enerjet motors, we probably wouldn't buy many more.

Sometimes yesterday's thrill makes for a mundane rerun. Nevertheless, I keep thinking I'd buy a bunch of those B14-0's

Doug

I have to disagree, as I have always loved the no smoke motors.

they are MUCH more photogenic - what can be cooler than a photo of a nice rocket sitting atop a completely smokeless boost, with the flame maybe visible, maybe not .

and you pay for that smoke / effects anyways, so give me the low cost smokeless ,progressive burn motors any time, thank you ... ( although making bates grain motors with generic propellent should not add much cost, versus case bonding the grains,only adding the cost of casting tubes and the extra labor step of dropping into the case.

will see what I have for old photos and maybe post a couple :-)

~ AL
Old 09-05-2005, 10:01 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I actually still have some of the old Composite Dynamics Pro-Jet E and F motors.

Certified ?
Where I fly that does not matter, and my homeowners insurance covers me; it defines a model rocket (or model R/C airplane) as a flying device incapable of carrying a man (eliminates requiring that stoopyd turbine waiver from the AMA to fly turbine R/C aircraft too !)

I often fly old no-longer-certified rocket motors.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-15-2005, 05:17 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
I have to disagree, as I have always loved the no smoke motors.

they are MUCH more photogenic - what can be cooler than a photo of a nice rocket sitting atop a completely smokeless boost, with the flame maybe visible, maybe not .

and you pay for that smoke / effects anyways, so give me the low cost smokeless ,progressive burn motors any time, thank you ... ( although making bates grain motors with generic propellent should not add much cost, versus case bonding the grains,only adding the cost of casting tubes and the extra labor step of dropping into the case.

will see what I have for old photos and maybe post a couple :-)

~ AL

Al

Your post lead me to scan a few of mine .....

A few vintage rockets I flew on old composite motors years ago. I threw in the Loc Lil' Nuke on the F41 because some of you may remember the original White Lightinings were fairly low smoke and threw some sparks until they refined the propellant to what you have today. To be honest I liked the orignal White Lightning propellant with the low smoke and sparks much better!

The Loc IV was flown with my first HPR smokeless motor an H125-15 for my TRA certification flight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  NCR Orbit Liftoff SSRS E30-8 10-15-1988 Bonne Carre Spillway Louisiana.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  248.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  NCR HyperSonic1100 Pad January 1989 Bonne Carre Spillway Louisiana.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  254.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  NCR HyperSonic1100 Liftoff SSRS F67-12 January 1989 Bonne Carre Spillway Louisiana.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  410.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  LocIV H125-15 January 1989 TRA Confirmation Flight Bonne Carre Spillway Louisiana.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  118.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Loc Precision Lil Nuke Liftoff 10-15-88 AT F41-9W Bonne Carre Spillway Louisiana.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  416.1 KB  
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates

Last edited by snaquin : 09-15-2005 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:22 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

I don't care about smoke on low altitude flights, but I want lots of smoke to be able to follow high altitude flights. The new delay that Estes and Quest are using just does not produce the 60's volume of smoke. Fire a new engine on a test stand and the yard clears of smoke in seconds. Fire an old engine and the difference is significant.

The B14-0 and B14-7 have got to be some of the most requested engines at Estes from the old-timers.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 09-29-2005, 09:52 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
I don't care about smoke on low altitude flights, but I want lots of smoke to be able to follow high altitude flights. The new delay that Estes and Quest are using just does not produce the 60's volume of smoke. Fire a new engine on a test stand and the yard clears of smoke in seconds. Fire an old engine and the difference is significant.

The B14-0 and B14-7 have got to be some of the most requested engines at Estes from the old-timers.

Carl,

I think they used more sulfur in the old mixture. When I burn old motors, I notice a lot more burned sulfur residue around the nozzle.

Gee, sure would be nice to have B14's again.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 09-30-2005, 07:33 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc

That's something severely lacking in model rocket motors, is blackpowder coreburners.

With FSI gone, no alternatives left to us at all .

ANy chance of Semroc adding those to the list ? :-)

I'll go vote on em :-)

~ AL
Old 09-30-2005, 07:40 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
That's something severely lacking in model rocket motors, is blackpowder coreburners.

With FSI gone, no alternatives left to us at all .

ANy chance of Semroc adding those to the list ? :-)

I'll go vote on em :-)

~ AL

Heh, a number of us have hounded Carl for a long time on those. The problem being is that they're labor intensive and dangerous to make. At least the way that Estes used to make them.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 10-01-2005, 05:23 PM

semi on topic, was going to email Carl directly on this one, but figured forum members would chime in with an ' oh yes' , lol ...

one more item, lacking on the Semroc site, that fits right in as well , is the clear payload tubing for the ST-10 .

he has the ST7 and 8 tubes, but not the ST-10 for the T-Bird. was looking at that plan the other day, and thinking I need to add one to the growing fleet.

now for the ' aye' from the crowd :-)

~ AL

'into multi-staging', chad or otherwise :-)