Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2008, 12:36 AM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
[...]
6) Wal-mart - I don't think they sell Krylon.
[...]

The three Wal-Marts in my area all stock plenty of Krylon. One of them (the newest one) carries more of it than they carry of their own brand (or any other brand, for that matter).

Maybe we got all of the Krylon that was supposed to go to the Wal-Marts in the Houston area?

Matk \\.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 08-22-2008, 08:06 AM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by space_bus
Thanks for the Sears tip -- it was golden. I hit the local 'Sears Grand' picked up several cans of old formula Krylon Gloss White, Glass Black, Banner Red, and Pumpkin Orange. Also grabbed the last can of Blue, one Burgundy, one Fluorescent Orange, and one H2O Sun Yellow (is the H2O stuff any good? -- they didn't have the regular Yellow). The Black, Red, Orange, and Blue all came up on some king of clearance at 97 cents a can!!!

The selection was kind of weak, but it was a good find, especially with the clearance price.
Wow! That sounds like a good find!

There's a Sears Hardware store a few miles from my house, and another full-blown Sears store at a nearby mall. Hmm...
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 08-22-2008, 10:58 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

went by two Ace Hardwares, got eight cans of old gloss white! woot!

Also got one can of old gloss black, and picked up a can of the Ace branded gloss white that appears to have the same formulation as old Krylon. I'll give it a try soon, and look up the MSDS for it.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
went by two Ace Hardwares, got eight cans of old gloss white! woot!

Also got one can of old gloss black, and picked up a can of the Ace branded gloss white that appears to have the same formulation as old Krylon. I'll give it a try soon, and look up the MSDS for it.

Someone at work needed to paint something white, and bought Ace brand gloss white. He said it dried really fast. My first reaction was that maybe it is rebranded Krylon?

I found one can of old Krylon white at one of our Walmarts, so I've got to check out the remaining stores, and the Kmart too. It is disappearing quickly.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 08-26-2008, 10:44 PM
Forest Sprite

Well, I knew it would happen eventually, but OF (Old Formula) Krylon is starting to disappear from shelves around here, too now. (Fred, have you been making trips up to the North Country, recently? ) Because of that, I have been checking out the competition, and I've got to say, the application and recoat times of NF Krylon don't look all that bad by comparison. Rusto-Leum, Ace Hardware, and Walmart paint all have longer "recoat within" times, but the also all have much longer "recoat after" times as well. Walmart paint says to recoat within 4 hours or after one week. After seeing that, the "recoat after" time of 24 hours for NF Krylon doesn't look so bad anymore. (Krylon Fusion, which has been out for awhile now, has recoat times of within 24 hours or after 7 days.)

Also, I recently had to make the switch to NF Krylon Gloss White. After using it on a couple of projects, my verdict is:

...I...like...it.

There, I said it. Now I need to head down to my bunker to wait out the inevitable hailstorm of sticks, stone and worse that are sure to be headed my way.

Mark \\.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 08-27-2008, 12:03 AM
Master Modeler

I have used a couple of cans of the 'new' Krylon(not white) and have been satisfied with the results..So, make room in that bunker for me too!
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 08-27-2008, 06:58 AM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

The long recoat time on the new paints is a pain, but I guess I've gotten used to it. I've never had good luck with any Krylon, so you guys can rest assured I'm not competing with you for the last cans...
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 08-27-2008, 08:23 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

I've bought a white, black, and raspberry in the new formula, and will try it on a couple of little rockets first. But at the moment I'd rather deal with what I know, so at least my base coat will continue to be old formula white for awhile (and I'll try old topped with new soon).
Old 08-27-2008, 08:32 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

So the basic difference in the paints, as I understand it, is a change from using aromatic solvents to aliphatic solvents. Both are volatile organic compounds (VOC), but aliphatic is apparently much less volatile than aromatic.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:50 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Generally speaking, the higher the volatile aromatic organic content, the quicker the paint dries and the nicer the finish.
Aliphatic solvents in paint almost always result in a dismally long drying time and the inability to recoat at anytime....must do it within so many minutes or after a couple of days...otherwise the finish will be a hideous mess.

I still use good ol' new-old-stock Pactra AeroGloss dope for most of my rocket finishing via Airbrush, spray can, and brush-on.
Needless to say, Aero Gloss dope has a HUGE % of Aromatic Volatile Organics (VOC) that the environmental whackos just hate.
Ask me what I think of them.....

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !