Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2008, 10:16 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPilot
4) It was announced elsewhere that the Shrox designed rockets have been shelved and may never be released. Thereby, if I understand licensing right, means Shrox will never be allowed to sell these designs on his own.

Where was this announced?

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 08-19-2008, 06:42 AM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Where was this announced?

Well, it was noted on TRF - one of the members called Estes and talked to an Estes official who told him that he didn't know when, if at all, the Shrox designs would be released. However, a couple of the more incendiary members decided to start editorializing in the thread so the moderators pulled the whole thread.

Greg
Old 08-19-2008, 07:06 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
After hearing that the Estes 800 number went away, and other indications things were getting worse, I emailed Estes last week (from their website Customer Service form) inquiring about replacement decals for the Interceptors (I have 4 of each model). Figuring they might balk due to the quantity, I offered to send pictures of the kits, which I started buying about one year ago.

No word yet. Am I expecting too much to be emailed in a few days, at least to say they will follow up with my request? It would not be the end of the world, but I am amazed at the apparent downhill slide in the past few months or so (and probably for much longer).

I certainly will throw my support to Quest for BP motors, although I could live mostly with reloads. Problem is -- staging and clustering demands BP motors, unless you want to factor in a whole lot of extra trouble and expense.

I emailed with the same request almost two weeks ago after unsuccessfully trying the 1 800. I have 2 Interceptors. One is built the other is not. Plus, my unbuilt Interceptor E. These were all purchased immediately after their release last year.
It took them 7 days to respond back....but they did respond. They told me it would take 2 weeks to process my warranty claim. I addressed the email to Christine, but whoever responded chose to omit their name from the reply, and simply closed with "Customer Service". There seem to be inconsistencies with their CS dept. Some people claim to get responses within hours while others wait several days or well over a week. I guess you just have to be patient.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:45 AM
Launching since 1970.

Could they have folks on <gasp> "vacation"? It is not a giant company and if someone is out sick or on vacation or travelling to support a trade show, then things will take longer. Sure, someone might fill in, but it is probably in addition to their normal tasks.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:19 AM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
After hearing that the Estes 800 number went away...

When did that happen?
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 08-19-2008, 08:32 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
Could they have folks on <gasp> "vacation"? It is not a giant company and if someone is out sick or on vacation or travelling to support a trade show, then things will take longer. Sure, someone might fill in, but it is probably in addition to their normal tasks.

I'm not complaining. I'm in no hurry. Just wanted to relay my most recent attempt at contacting CS, and have had (or heard of) similar experiences in the past. Other times, I've called the 1 800 and gotten someone right away who handled my request. My only point is, they can be inconsistent.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:

Quit gaspin' Fred . I got a notice from Great Planes that my back orders for all of the new Estes kits had been cancelled and that they were no longer offering them since it has been 6 months and they had not been available... They may be on gasp vacation, but thats still not a good sign .
Old 08-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Old BAR

Quote:
...or travelling to support a trade show....

I've never heard of Estes at a trade show, but I guess they got to go to one somewhere?

Scott, I've had the Shrox/Estes kits on my 'wish list' with Tower Hobbies for a while now (3 months, about), and the only one they have 'cancelled' was the Solar Flare launch set, tho' they still have it listed; delivery date in 'early sept.'

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...H=Estes+rockets

The Lancer and Daedalus are 'order pendeing.'

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...ROCKETS&S3=&S4=

So, I remain hopeful .
Tower Hobbies is huge.
Allen
Old 08-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Master Modeler

Estes makes a nice kit, no doubt about it. Sure, their a few issues here and there, but by and large...nice kits. I'd be a little disappointed if that part went away, but not entirely sad. We have lots of good companies producing LPR kits, and enough resources for scratch building. It would be nice to see Estes introduce some new ideas, "bring backs", and less models with the same plastic fin can. But really, if they quit supplying kits all together, it wouldn't be the end of rocketry. If they are completely doing away with rocketry items, ie motors, then we will surely feel the hit. But only for a time. It opens the door wide open for other companies. Dollars (generally) spent on Estes motors by us, can be redirected and pooled to other ventures. The sport is here to stay, it's just a matter of how it will evolve given the available resources. IF we are indeed seeing the end of Estes "rocketry", then it's a shame. But the, "take my ball and go home" attitude would be par for the course.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitflite
Quit gaspin' Fred . I got a notice from Great Planes that my back orders for all of the new Estes kits had been cancelled and that they were no longer offering them since it has been 6 months and they had not been available... They may be on gasp vacation, but thats still not a good sign .

Obviously we need someone to ferret out some facts.