Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2009, 02:57 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Fred knows we are just "giving him the bizzness" in good nature.....

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-17-2009, 09:20 AM
Master Modeler

Default Federal Regulations

In my opinion, it's federal regulation that are KILLING many companies, especially the smaller ones.

Mattel and Hasbro have had their share of bad luck with China and the contaminated plastic, what about the baby formula that has been tainted?

I'm surprised that Quest and Semroc haven't felt the furry from federal regulations as well.

All companies have to come into compliane with the new federal LEAD regulations that become effective in February 2009, from what I understand, it costs nearly $4,000.00 per test for lead content.

Maybe a very large company can afford this cost but, those in the specialty market, such as rockets can't afford such a cost without trimming employees and costs.

As far as the Estes catalog goes, it can be found online with a 50th anniversary logo.

It was mentioned on the news recently that a North Carolin wood toy company would probably go out of business if the feds demanded that they test their wood toys, no paint involved, but, they are classified as TOYS, so, they would come under the regulation for LEAD, they are trying to get the feds to make changes.

Estes has made an effort to make changes for the benefit of it's customers, and, with their customers support, they will do what they intended to do, bring back the classic series and convert over to BALSA,and get rid of the Chinese plastic, it only makes sense.

This is my opinion and is not an official statement from or about Estes.

Thje entire toys/hobby industry is suffering from the feds actions regarding LEAD and PLASTICS, especially those coming in from China.

Support the hobby companies and let's hope they all can weather the recession...........and the feds
Old 01-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Ummm, I'm not a Junior Rocketeer

How did we survive the 60's and 70's? All these regulations ...... I know they're bringing California to it's knees.

The next few months will be very interesting...
Old 01-17-2009, 09:35 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelltym88
How did we survive the 60's and 70's? All these regulations ...... I know they're bringing California to it's knees.

The next few months will be very interesting...

We had common sense and didn't need all these laws. The lawyer population also exploded in the 80's.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Master Modeler

We didn't have so much LITIGATION going on as we do today , everytime you turn around someone is bringing a lawsuit, just plain insanity...............
Old 01-17-2009, 09:43 AM
Master Modeler

Just follow all of the court shows on TV, that's your answer..............
Old 01-17-2009, 10:56 AM
Member in Good Standing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousah
The new lead testing requirements are extremely onerous. We haven't heard too much about it, but I can't imagine how small businesses are going to comply with it. What about all the other rocket vendors besides Estes? There's no way that it's practical to have all of their product components tested in any sort of affordable way. Time will tell.

Does this mean I can't use lead in my nosecones, in case someone eats it? What about the toxic lead in our politicians butts?
Old 01-17-2009, 10:57 AM
Member in Good Standing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerdawg
They called you?!?!?

That is just too funny!!!
Old 01-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Semroc does not sell toys! From our disclaimer that is shipped with each model rocket:
Model rockets are not toys, but are functional rockets made of lightweight materials and are launched with NAR or Tripoli safety certified model rocket motors, electrically ignited and flown in accordance with the NAR Model Rocket Safety Code.

They have never been sold by toy stores and have never been represented as toys, but as scientific, educational devices. It would be like saying a microscope or a test tube or a small steam engine is a toy.

Of course the government can define anything as a toy.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 01-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Yet another BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
Semroc does not sell toys! From our disclaimer that is shipped with each model rocket:
Model rockets are not toys, but are functional rockets made of lightweight materials and are launched with NAR or Tripoli safety certified model rocket motors, electrically ignited and flown in accordance with the NAR Model Rocket Safety Code.

They have never been sold by toy stores and have never been represented as toys, but as scientific, educational devices. It would be like saying a microscope or a test tube or a small steam engine is a toy.

Of course the government can define anything as a toy.

And the government *will* define them as toys... It won't help that Estes rockets and motors are sold in the toy section of Walmart/Target (and Toys R Us). And that Quest ships their stuff in a boxes that say "TOYS"