Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2005, 03:07 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
#1295 Mean Machine - #2029 Raven

I don't remember this one at all. Guess I'm off to Ninfinger.org.

Aah, that explains it. I didn't recognize them as Mean Machine fins because the Raven kit I bought off Ebay WAS LITTLE MORE THAN A BAG OF SPLINTERED AND SMASHED PARTS!!! Luckily I was able to salvage the nose cone and decal.
I also had this happen with a Rascal and a Big Bertha. (Both of which also use the same fin pattern. )

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 09-28-2005, 03:52 PM
Arley's Spaced Out Rocketry

The Raven and Mean Machine are not the same kit, the fins maybe the same and they both use the BT-60 body tube, but that’s were the similarity ends. The Raven has an 18MM Motor Mount and the Mean Machine has a 24MM Motor Mount. The Raven has one 18” tube and the Mean Machine has 4 18” tubes. The nose cones are different as will the Raven’s nose cone is a PNC-60RL and the Mean Machine is a PNC-60AH.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:37 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
I wonder how I ever missed THAT model?

Easy enough to build, though...

BT-50, full 18"...
PNC-50Y...
6 - BT-50J tube fins...
BT-20J motor tube...
2 - CR-2050 rings...
1 CR-520 ring...
1 EH-2 engine hook...
12" parachute...
Really guessing here -- 3/32" balsa sheet for the fins, 1/2" wide, two 90-degree right-angles for the tip, 45-degree cut on the root, leading edge looks to be about 1.75"...

Add a 24" length of Kevlar and 24"-36" of elastic shock chord...

Decal looks simple enough to do on clear paper...

I might have to add one of these to the collection...

Okay....I'm getting lost in this thread...but FWIW, I've got the plans and a built Super Neon. Guess I could dig it out and get all the particulars for you if anyone is interested in cloning it. The fin pattern is on page 2 of the instructions ( 1/16" balsa, LE is 1 & 9/16", width is .75"). Short BT-50s are 3 and 1/8" long. Long BT-50 is 18". Uses an adapter ring (030165) instead of centering rings (which will work just as well). Nose cone PN 072604 with nose cone insert 072605. Decals are a light blue and green. I'm not good at drawing them but I guess this thread's originator has the originals that can be scanned.

Don
NAR 53455

Last edited by barone : 09-28-2005 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:39 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arley Davis
The Raven and Mean Machine are not the same kit, the fins maybe the same and they both use the BT-60 body tube, but that’s were the similarity ends. The Raven has an 18MM Motor Mount and the Mean Machine has a 24MM Motor Mount. The Raven has one 18” tube and the Mean Machine has 4 18” tubes. The nose cones are different as will the Raven’s nose cone is a PNC-60RL and the Mean Machine is a PNC-60AH.

Arley.....Greendragon started looking at kits with the same fin patterns, not necessarily the same kits re-kitted under a different name. That's why you're seeing kits being compared to eachother that aren't the same. Just looking at the fin patterns.

Don
NAR 53455
Old 09-28-2005, 06:18 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:

Ya think?

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 09-28-2005, 07:21 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoVictor
They look similar, but don't quite match up. You can see the discussion here;

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...ighlight=python

Later,
EV

I recall that discussion just last week , catalogs looke dsimilar to me, and knowing the crossover reuse o fthe time, ASSumed they matched up.

I'm also assuming that the Zebra II payloader ( which I have 90% done colne of), uses fins from someplace else , due to the 3fnc crossover / reuse for a different kit ?

also, will keep track of the updates as posted, some I knew of, but missed my list (mostly due to already being on YORP estes list, such as the Raven )

the one I;d missed myself ,and was interesting to see was the Cobra 1500 / Antares reuse... I have a set of fins off my old 1500, but wasn;t going to build a clone just yet, since i have the Engage that I've yet to fly.... so maybe Antares would be ok ...

also missed the Ranger due to the cones change, hmm - proves that Estes can,indeed, fool us into thinking it;s a new design, lol... no wonder we have 1232 rockets on the 'to do' list :-)

~ AL

still updating as I find info, and will search for past thread on this :-) , but keep the comments coming :-) , thanks .
Old 09-28-2005, 07:25 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Cool

Quote:
The Centuri Victor V and the Estes Viking use the same fins put that’s all that is similar with the two rockets.

The Blue Star and the Laser are not exactly the same the fins are different the 1991 Blue Star are made with 3/32” Balsa and the 1938 Laser is made with 1/16” Balsa. They also seam a little different in length.

The Blue Star / ZIpper is .indeed the same die as the Laser.

din thickness might vary, but the die is the same - I downloaded the fin pattern and checked against my vintage Laser builtup and they match up ( and double checked with the fin from YORP as well )

note on the Blue Star at Jim Z's - http://www.dars.org/jimz/est1991.htm
that the fin grain is witht he long edge, as 'correct' for the Laser, and would now be the trailing edge for the zipper, if retooled for the Blue Streak/Zipper, I'd think they'd turn the fins as 'standard' practice.

anyways... still hunting, lol.... ( maybe I need a life ? ;-) .....

~ AL
Old 09-29-2005, 08:29 AM
Master Modeler

I've read on here somewhere that the Centuri Orion and Taurus used the same fins and pop stand-offs. Can anyone confirm this?

Also the Centuri Centurion and the Centuri/Enerjet Athena look to be the same. Again, can anyone positively confirm this?

And then there's FSI...

Thanks.

rraeford
Old 09-29-2005, 08:35 AM
Master Modeler

One more...

The Centuri Astro-1 and the Estes Vagabond (only came in a starter launch set).

While we're at it. Did the plastic bomb and tank parts from the Centuri fighter jets line get used in the Estes F-61 kit? They look the same to me.

rraeford
Old 09-29-2005, 09:50 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Cool

I can confirm the Enerjet Athena / Centuri Centurion use the same fins.
I just completed my Athena Clone (complete with body wraps !) and the correct fin for both is exactly the same. Some of the parts on the Athena are shared by the Orion also. The pods (tubes and cones) for the Athena and the Orion are the same; the Orion uses 3 pods, the Athena uses four pods.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !