Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazookadale
To whom do I send my resume?

Same for me. I am not kidding one bit.

- George Gassaway
Old 03-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Mr. Dual Eggloft

Location: Illinois: where our Governors make our license plates.

[QUOTE=lurker01Now where would Bob Kaplow be if Barry sold Estes and retired? [/QUOTE]

I guess I'd still be here in the Chicago area, but I'd certainly be smiling.

I just drove by the scene of the crime this morning...
Old 03-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
There's really nothing on that list of Classics that we can't already build with SEMROC parts, either as true clones, or as bashed near-clones. So there's nothing to get overly worked up about for any delay. If Estes decides to scrap the whole package (which wouldn't be a big surprise), that could open up the possibility for SEMROC to 'bring back' their own versions, which we know would be more faithful to the originals than these were.

Like I said when the Estes kit announcement was made, I'll believe it when I see it...
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 03-11-2009, 11:30 AM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
There's really nothing on that list of Classics that we can't already build with SEMROC parts, either as true clones, or as bashed near-clones. So there's nothing to get overly worked up about for any delay. If Estes decides to scrap the whole package (which wouldn't be a big surprise), that could open up the possibility for SEMROC to 'bring back' their own versions, which we know would be more faithful to the originals than these were.

But wouldn't it be even *more* more faithful to the originals to buy the new Estes Classic kits and then replace the Estes parts with Semroc parts only as needed? That way you'd be kit-bashing a new Estes kit into an old Estes rocket with the same name, appearance, and parts list! It wouldn't even be a clone, but the actual Estes re-issue with just a few parts replaced.

Assuming, of course, that the Classics are actually issued by Estes some time this year.
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 03-11-2009, 11:44 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I think it will be great if Estes does in fact release these kits with Made-In-USA balsa parts, but like someone else said, I will believe it when I actually see and touch the kits.
Tower Hobbies already has several of these "classix" on their website but they are naturally not yet orderable.

I'd be much more impressed if they would bring back some useful BP engines like the B14 (and no, I don't wanna hear the mamby-pamby production safety argument about the coring process; in my book this is a non-arguement as it could be solved by an automated process) and the C5, and B8 as we already have tons of kit manufacturers.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I'd be much more impressed if they would bring back some useful BP engines like the B14 ... and the ... B8 ...

That's an either-or in my mind. Both motors address the same niche - type II, cored motors with fast burn, high thrust profiles. The B8 was essentially an attempt to eliminate the problematic post-pressing coring step of the B14, but was still a cored motor in that it had a deep nozzle with extra BP exposed.

I agree that automation should be able to overcome or circumvent the manufacturing safety issues, but I suspect the motors would still be less reliable than the standard stuff such as the B6 and C6. And that will be as big a concern for Estes as anything else. They don't want to see lots of $$ go out the door in warranty payouts.

If I was making motors, for such higher risk items, I might sell them "as is". Caveat emptor. I imagine that anyone who decided to get into these more exotic motors, be they B14's or F100's, would need to approach it with this in mind. The sales pitch would need to address this so folks who had catos wouldn't come beating down the door.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 03-11-2009, 02:10 PM
advanced rocketeer

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker01
Dale,

I think details will be forth coming around NARAM or later this fall. The parties want to keep things under the sheets for now.

Also, the Classics release for this spring is being delayed until late summer. Estes has a huge backlog of product testing; a result from exploding pajamas and lead painted toys from China. The 'Summer' Classics release may not happen until the new ownership issue is resolved.

That is all that my Crystal Ball is telling me at this time.

Bob

Like I said it is not going to happen. There was never a doubt in my mind that estes would NOT be able to stand behind there word and deliver the goods. Some things never change.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by motley16
Like I said it is not going to happen. There was never a doubt in my mind that estes would NOT be able to stand behind there word and deliver the goods. Some things never change.

Motley,

I think we will both be happily surprised with the 1st slated release of the Classics! The hold up isn't tooling, or marketing, the economy, or Estes scared to invest the $$$ to produce the product (they already have spent the money needed for the 1st release); the issue is with the consumer toy testing rules that have gone into place after the garbage received out of China last year.

On another note relating to such things, 60,000 new homes were made with dry wall made in China. This dry wall contains mold/gases/chemicals/bacteria that are destructive and dangerous to human health.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/articl...se-drywall-case

Guns don't kill people, houses with parts from China do!

Bob.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:06 PM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker01
Motley,

I think we will both be happily surprised with the 1st slated release of the Classics!

Bob (and others),

You obviously have access to info that most of us do not. The recent uneveness in Estes' performance (Shrox/no Shrox, catalog/no catalog, only starter kits in the big box stores, announcement of a "Classic" series which would double the number of kits they currently offer), makes me wonder what Estes considers a workable business model at this point.

The big box market seems to be increasingly less dependable and the hobby store market is evaporating. It's not a problem with an easy solution. Perhaps the current Estes team is considering selling because they can't envision a workable model?

I'm curious as to what Estes current thoughts are, and what folks on the forum think is a workable model for Estes' future.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:07 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
I hear Quest is going to purchase Estes and rename it to Model Missiles,Inc.

Then some John Parson's rocketry majik will be spoken and G. Harry will arise from his grave and take over running the new MMI.

terry dean

ROFL... don't nobody call Sylvia Browne... LOL

Too funny... OL JR