Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2009, 11:00 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

Jon,

I'm doing last minute finishes to the rockets that I'll be taking along so I'm all set
I almost forgot to buy appropriate motors to take along

How will I recognize you?

Since I'm on vacation here I won't be having fancy tents and stuff. As far as I can tell it will be very hot. Any chance reserving a shaded seat for me?

My plan is that I will probably show up some time around 1-2 PM.

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 08-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
Jon,

I'm doing last minute finishes to the rockets that I'll be taking along so I'm all set
I almost forgot to buy appropriate motors to take along

How will I recognize you?

Since I'm on vacation here I won't be having fancy tents and stuff. As far as I can tell it will be very hot. Any chance reserving a shaded seat for me?

My plan is that I will probably show up some time around 1-2 PM.

I don't have a fancy tent or shelter either! I usually put up my table(or share a corner of one) under Robert Carsons big tent(or who ever has their shelter set up if Robert doesn't have his big shelter up)- but, yeah it is going to be a warm one..At least the rain chances are in the slim to none range, which is a very good thing!

1:30-2 PM is about the time we will probably get there as well..Step daughter HAS to be at school in the morning to have band picture(s) taken , so can't leave until 11:30 or there about and it takes us about 2 1/2 hrs to get to the site..

I will be in a silver Dodge Durango, will most likely be wearing my Dale Earnhardt JR #8 baseball cap
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 08-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Craftsman

Default Rosco Sl

Jon, Sorry to disappoint u but, I'm @ Naram 51, in Johnston PA. Let me know how u make out, OK? I had a 3 engine cluster crash and burn twice w/ some real "action shots" of disaster. Lost a 2 stage only to b turned in to lost and found, so recovered. Tonight s launch r "area 51" certification. ( night lights) if u get my drift . Tomorrow 4oth apollo commerative launch for all Saturns etc. TTY Glenn
Old 08-09-2009, 06:43 PM

I'm back

What a great event that was!!! Was great to meet all involved

I had absolutely no mishaps however I do need to recover from the heat we had.

Will post more when fit

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 08-11-2009, 07:52 AM
Master Modeler

It was so great to meet you Leo! The 8th and 9th had just about THE perfect launch weather one could hope for! Hardly any wind, and clear skies. The only detractor was the heat..It was HOT! Mid to upper 90's..But we endured and had a great time launching rockets!

I was so anxious to get to the launch I neglected to bring along my camera But, Leo had his camera gear, and once back to Germany he has promised to post some of the activities..I flew a bit of both LPR and some HPR flights. A couple really nice flights and a couple with less then desirable results..My first flight of the weekend was my 29mm Applewhite Scimitar going up on a G76G..Very cool with the long green flame and the distinctive 'whirring' noise..Next up was the 38mm upscale I built going up on an AMW/Pro38 G79 Black Bear..This one was not as good, in fact it was horrendous! As soon as it left the rod it was loop city! Did about 3 complete loops at about a 20 foot altitude and landed pointy end down just as the thrust phase ended with the delay grain smoking away..Close examination of the rocket revealed that the motor tube is slightly off center and canted about 2 to 3 degrees..Will have to rebuild the motor mount and try again..Next to fly was my Trois Duex..This rocket came about when I was wondering 'what would happen if I stacked the 3 different sized duece motor mounts from Fliskits in a single rocket'..Well, the wild idea(I think) came out nicely and it HAS put in some awesome flights in the past..Saturday I prepped the rocket on the field and got it ready to fly..Motors used were 2 A10PT, 2 Quest C6-5 and 2 Estes D12-5..In prepping I decided to use a couple extra Quest G2Q2 ignitors in the D12's..Out to the pad and the button was pushed..POP..That's a funny sound, I thought..Rocket left the pad and flew fairly well, a bit lower then previous flights and then it arced over and flat spun to the ground with no ejection event, breaking a fin in the process..Upon examination it was noted that the clay nozzles on the D12's had popped out at ignition, hence the 'POP' at liftoff..It was my boo-boo..I had used the G2Q2 ignitors but then used the Estes plug, causing an over pressurization of the motor..Dangit..Fin was CA'd together and it would fly again on Sunday..Which was a much better flight then Saturdays flight, but again, for some reason the laundry didn't want to come out(the nose cone popped off but chute stayed in the tube) and it flat spun to the ground breaking the repaired fin beyond repair..Sigh..A new fin will be cut and it will fly again soon!

2 other memorable flights from the weekend were my Wildman Jr on Saturday and my BSD 3" Thor on Sunday..For the Wildman Jr I decided to try a new motor(to me 'new') an AMW/CTI Pro38 4grain I470..And WOW! It left the pad with authority! Took it to 4,704 feet and a perfect dual deploy recovery about 200 yards from the pad..Saturday night I transferred the altimeter into my Thor and got it all prepped for Sunday's flight..Was undecided on what motor to use, and finally decided to 'go for it' and loaded up the Pro38 6grain J330 into the Thor! First attempt saw no ignition..I had not gotten the supplied ignitor in as far as it could go..So, in goes another, slightly bigger ignitor and this time it roared off the pad! Dual deploy worked just it should, however, the rocketeer had a case of CRS and had forgotten that he had taken the chute out and had used it in the WIldman Jr and forgot to put it back in the Thor! DOH! BUT, it landed about 200 yards from the pad with no damage! Altitude for the flight was 4,061 feet..

Was a great weekend even with the 'mishaps'!
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 08-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Old BAR

What did our friend from Germany fly?
Jon, sounds like you took good care of Leo and showed him plenty of good 'ole SC hospitality.
Sorry I missed it.
Next time!
Allen
Old 08-12-2009, 06:32 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
What did our friend from Germany fly?
Jon, sounds like you took good care of Leo and showed him plenty of good 'ole SC hospitality.
Sorry I missed it.
Next time!
Allen

On Saturday Leo spectated..Sunday came numerous flights with his Fat Boy and Der V3-a 3 motor cluster.He flew his very first ever cluster flight on Sunday, which was a very impressive flight! Let me tell you, Leo's rockets looked fantastic(wunderbar!) in person..His final 2 flights the rockets went up in quick succession and landed within 5 feet of each other!

You missed a good time Allen! See you at Freedom Launch?
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 08-17-2009, 06:07 AM

Thumbs up

I'm back in Germany safe and sound

In a nut shell; I had a great visit and a fantastic weekend at the ROSCO launch!

It was a pleasure seeing all the rocket nuts out there, on and off the field.

Jon, it was great meeting you and I hope to see you again next year. Loved all your rockets that you flew. I think you and myself were the most active flyers over the weekend

I came with my Fat Boy, Maxi Alpha 3 and cluster Der V3. With the exception of not securing an Estes igniter correctly I had no mishaps. All my flights had beautiful flights.

I flew the Fat Boy on C6-5 and C5-3 (delay was too short)

Then came the Maxi Alpha 3 on it's maiden flight using D12-3 engines. I had specifically shopped for "D"engines the day before only to forget them at home where I was staying
Thankfully someone at the field had a pack of D12-3's so I could fly the MA3 afterall.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:20 AM

Thumbs up

Highlight for my rockets was the maiden flight off my Der V3 using a cluster of one "D" and two "C" engines.
I started with only one D12-7 engine and two dummy "C" engines. The Der V3 flew great.

On the second flight I used one D11-P and two C6-7's which turned out to be the perfect combo. I'm told the flight went well over 1000 feet.

My last flights of the weekend where the Fat Boy and Der V3 (on a single D12-7).

Old 08-17-2009, 06:23 AM

Thumbs up

As Jon pointed out the two landed only several feet from each other

I have some video footage of my rockets which I will post a bit later.