Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2009, 07:51 PM
steely eyed missile man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
Welcome to the forum Steve.

Gotta love that TA-183 Huckebein

Thanks Leo I just love that period. She was tough to get flying well but she did in the end. Now there are guys flying them on turbine power as well as electric. I also did the ME 1101. Great flyer and that's it in my Avatar.

You have good taste!!

Steve

Hostile Projectiles
Old 09-02-2009, 09:13 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by U812
New to this forum but not to hobbies.

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I have been in radio controlled models for years, planes, jets, ships, tanks, and yes RC submarines. I both build kits and scratch build my own models.

Back in the early 80s I started with Rockets as I have always been a steely eyed missile man at heart. I grew up on everything from Shepard's launch to the Columbia's first landing at Edwards. You know the drill. I'm one of them.

But I have been wanting to get back into rockets for some time. I will most likely scratch build something scale soon. But decided to start with a kit, and ordered last night from Apogee the Dr. Zooch Redstone. I have plans of course to build a bigger one from scratch after I get my feet wet with the Zooch kit.

Looking through the forum I must say the rockteers are an excellent group of fine people. Believe me in my hobby forum travels I have seen it all, if you take my meaning.

If you want to see my past work in the hobby and film and TV go here:

www.sneillfx.com that's my personal site that has a mix of all my work. some many of you have probably seen at one time or another.

As soon as I get my kit from the nice folks as Apogee I'll start a thread. Or has it been done too many times already?

And BTW. This is the only Rocket forum I was able to register on. Model Rocket forum never sent me confirmation email. I ask them more then once about it but never got a reply. The other one was closed to registration.

Steve Neill

Hi Steve and welcome!

Dr. Zooch makes some really nice stuff. I've been really impressed with his kits, as they are really 'builder's kits' unlike a lot of the plastic buy-n-fly stuff that's out there now. I think you'll like it. You can do it 'quick and dirty' and have a nice easy flier, or put some work in it and get some REALLY NICE results; depending on your skills and priorities anyway

I think you'll find YORF to be a really great and friendly place. There are a LOT of very knowledgeable people around here and on the other sites, and you'll learn a lot and be able to help now and then along the way. That's always nice.

What other sites did you try?? I'm on here, The Rocketry Forum (TRF-- http://www.rocketryforum.com/ ) Rocketry Planet (RP-- http://www.rocketryplanet.com/forums/ ) Rocketry Online (http://www.rocketryonline.com/modules.php?name=Forums) and Newton's Third (N3-- http://forums.newtons3rdrocketry.co...f1c85746b001fa4 )

All are pretty good and I'm surprised you have had trouble signing up. Some of the sites DO take a bit of time to process a registration and get back to you to prevent spambots from signing up and flooding them with spam, but I haven't heard of any being "full up". Generally speaking, TRF is the self-proclaimed "eight year old's birthday party" atmosphere and strongly moderated, but there is a LOT of traffic over there (both good stuff and a lot of "fluff" so to speak, but a LOT of knowledgeable people nonetheless if you can stand the 'noise'. YORF here is pretty open and generally quiet-- focusing mainly on LPR stuff and older rockets--LOTS of good informative folks that know their stuff, but admittedly less traffic than TRF (not necessarily a bad thing, either-- far less 'fluff' over here and folks are generally a bit more 'reserved' and 'no-nonsense' over here) YORF has a VERY high signal/noise ratio (lot's of good info, little fluff). RP is a good site, especially if your into HPR/MPR and all that entails. They have a small LPR community, but they are very open to discussions of all sorts and very free and liberal in their moderation (like YORF) and have a pretty low fluff level. N3 is the "guilty pleasure" of rocket forums-- kinda like the local pool hall or beer joint of rocket forums, which is pretty cool-- NO overhanded moderation, and VERY grown up discussions and NOBODY is going to tell you to behave, but if you do something goofy somebody WILL call you on it and tell you how it is... DEFINITELY NOT the "8 year old birthday party" atmosphere, but it's a funny place to visit. Mostly HPR stuff, and a lot of 'decompressing' about some of the nonsense that goes on elsewhere, primarily on TRF, some of it quite spirited at times.

I'm on Rocketry Online too but find that there is VERY little traffic over there, and I just check in periodically and rarely post; not enough traffic to bother most times.

EMRR is also pretty cool to check out now and again.

Enjoy and welcome! OL JR
Old 09-02-2009, 10:53 PM
steely eyed missile man

Well OL JR thank you! Your post was very informative. Being a former forum owner I know how hard it can be to keep the politics out and the trouble that sometimes comes up. But with me it's all hobby a fun. I learned me lesson and gave my forum www.subpirates.com to a good friend. It is better today than ever. But I just like to build and share. Nothing more.

I think this forum well do nicely. The problem always is with multi forums is multi posts. As it is one good forum like this one has all the traffic from the others one would think.

Something that's no on my website is this rocket plane. The Bell X-1. I sold these as kits for awhile. They flew on a pusher electric prop motor and flew very well. It was all CNC cut foam and vacuum formed parts. The foam was covered with tissue and polyurethane floor sealer. Very light and very strong. I still have one left hanging from my ceiling. If I can only find a host plane big enough I may stick a rocket in her.

I've always been a rocket plane nut. I met Yeager by chance back in the 90s in a parking lot. He was very nice and we talked about the X-1 and planes for over an hour. I wrote him a bit later and he sent my and autographed picture that hangs on my wall to this day. I also got a signed and numbered print of the "Yeager Breaks Mac 2" you guys might have seen of the X1a.

This model has a 30 inch span and a 32 inch length. I do have an 80 inch B-29 and maybe the thing to do one day is build a 14 incher RC and rocket powered to drop the X-1 from. Who wants to fly it?

Please Mr. Admin if these pictures are too large tell me and I'll reduce them it's no trouble.

Steve

And here's my 7 year old B-29. Still flying strong.

Hostile Projectiles

Last edited by U812 : 09-03-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:17 PM
BAR

Wow ... cool stuff. Let us know when you're ready to kit that X-1 with a rocket motor in the back.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:54 PM
steely eyed missile man

I'd love to but it's so daunting a task to make kits yourself I swore I'd never do it again. At best I would make one and test it. Once working sell the molds and or rights to someone with the man power and money to get them made right.

But I do appreciate the kind words wilsotr.

Steve

Hostile Projectiles
Old 09-03-2009, 06:16 AM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

That is a sweet X-1!

I have often thought of building one to put a G-class motor in it. You are an amazing modeler, Steve.

Greg
Old 09-03-2009, 07:30 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by U812
Pleas Mr. Admin if these pictures are too large tell me and I'll reduce them it's know trouble.

They look fine, Steve. Welcome to the forum!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 09-03-2009, 12:43 PM
steely eyed missile man

Thank you and I never assume anything. I used Photobucket and the IMG embed.

Greg thanks. Appreciated.

Steve

Hostile Projectiles
Old 09-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Master Modeler

Great looking X-1, your work is seriously impressive.

You mentioned you're a scale nut, and since no one else has plugged him yet, I'll do it. "Sandman" on this forum is also a scale nut. He makes scale kits, custom parts, and now he also does decals:
http://roachwerksmachining.com.istemp.com/

http://www.excelsiorrocketry.com/

His stuff is well done with lots of attention to detail.

Also, if you haven't noticed yet; everything in a posted picture gets scrutinized pretty good around here. So with that being said, please tell us more about the Planet of the Apes (is that Zira?)picture in the background.

BTW - Welcome
Was once SAM#0132
Old 09-03-2009, 01:49 PM
steely eyed missile man

No that's me back in the 70s when I was working on the Planet of the Apes TV series. I use to make appearances at benefits and conventions with my fiends in full authentic costumes.

I made the prosthetics and did the makeup as I couldn't use the studio's appliances. It was a lot of fun.

I'll check out the links you sent me. Thanks for the kind words!

Steve

Hostile Projectiles