Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2009, 09:48 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by U812
Well OL JR thank you! Your post was very informative. Being a former forum owner I know how hard it can be to keep the politics out and the trouble that sometimes comes up. But with me it's all hobby a fun. I learned me lesson and gave my forum www.subpirates.com to a good friend. It is better today than ever. But I just like to build and share. Nothing more.

I think this forum well do nicely. The problem always is with multi forums is multi posts. As it is one good forum like this one has all the traffic from the others one would think.

Something that's no on my website is this rocket plane. The Bell X-1. I sold these as kits for awhile. They flew on a pusher electric prop motor and flew very well. It was all CNC cut foam and vacuum formed parts. The foam was covered with tissue and polyurethane floor sealer. Very light and very strong. I still have one left hanging from my ceiling. If I can only find a host plane big enough I may stick a rocket in her.

I've always been a rocket plane nut. I met Yeager by chance back in the 90s in a parking lot. He was very nice and we talked about the X-1 and planes for over an hour. I wrote him a bit later and he sent my and autographed picture that hangs on my wall to this day. I also got a signed and numbered print of the "Yeager Breaks Mac 2" you guys might have seen of the X1a.

This model has a 30 inch span and a 32 inch length. I do have an 80 inch B-29 and maybe the thing to do one day is build a 14 incher RC and rocket powered to drop the X-1 from. Who wants to fly it?

Please Mr. Admin if these pictures are too large tell me and I'll reduce them it's no trouble.

Steve

And here's my 7 year old B-29. Still flying strong.

I'm sure you've seen the video on youtube of the B-29 gasser dropping a rocket powered X-1 right?? It's AMAZING!!!

Yeah, you have a point about multiple forums. I've found there ARE a few very knowledgeable people that for one reason or other have their favorite forums and tend to stick with them. In the same vein, some folks refuse to go to certain forums for their own reasons, some shared and reasonable, some not. I guess that's true with a lot of things.

I certainly have my favorites as you can tell from my post, primarily here and RP, but I don't "discriminate" even though I often shake my head and laugh at some of the stupidity that goes on elsewhere. Wait til you see the drama of a "Sheri-gate" like we recently had, primarily on RP after TRF went into "lockdown mode" again... LOL Having been burned on TRF myself over nothing I see some folks point, but I try to be equitable and see both sides of it. Anyway, some forums tend to more 'drama' than others, and thankfully there's little of that here most of the time.

I generally crosspost everything substantial that I bother posting (mostly build threads on Dr. Zooch stuff, as I'm most impressed with his kits and have almost all of them-- I need to get started on another one soon but I've been working on farm-related stuff recently and now with school starting back up, it's kinda hectic... but soon... When I ask a question, I like to make sure that I get as much coverage as I can-- who knows when the person with JUST the information you need is on here, but does not go to TRF, or vice versa-- is on TRF and not here... if I didn't post my question here I'd never get the answer if they refuse to go to TRF (and there are more than a few who DO refuse!) So, at the risk of repetition, I like to cover my bases... Do a search and I'm sure you'll find a lot of information on Dr. Zooch kit build threads around here-- and be sure and post lots of pictures of what you're doing. We ALL like pics!!!

One thing I've found is that I usually compose my build threads on TRF, then "copy and paste" them to post them over here and at RP. The reason I do that is because TRF's vbulletin software automatically resizes my pictures for my (generally set my camera to 5 Mpixels for rocket shots) and then all I have to do is open them in a second tab, save them back to the hard drive with a "r" suffix on the filename, and instant resized pics ready to go on YORF and RP, without bothering to do it myself. Works for me!

Anyway, in addition to the build threads, I write up a launch report for our local NAR section, Challenger 498, which flies off my farm here in TX. I crosspost those too to RP, YORF, and TRF.

VERY cool X-1 by the way-- just BEGGING for a rocket motor install... OL JR
Old 09-03-2009, 09:50 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by U812
No that's me back in the 70s when I was working on the Planet of the Apes TV series. I use to make appearances at benefits and conventions with my fiends in full authentic costumes.

I made the prosthetics and did the makeup as I couldn't use the studio's appliances. It was a lot of fun.

I'll check out the links you sent me. Thanks for the kind words!

Steve

WHOA!!! SERIOUSLY cool!!!!

Later! OL JR
Old 09-03-2009, 11:34 PM
steely eyed missile man

Thanks JR. I do the same thing on the two RC Sub forums. Copy and paste.

I will do a nice build thread on the Redstone which should be here tomorrow. I'm known for my building threads in RC planes and subs. This will be a nice change and not the last. I downloaded those nice paper model PDFs for the Saturn V and the Redstone so after the ant scale and I got my sense of building a rocket back we are going to get bigger.

Yes it does beg. But I was thinking a smaller one made just for rocket launch and RC glide back would be fun to do in the future. The one in the pictures is big. Bigger than the big B-29 drops.

I would vacuum form and who know if it works decently it could go to a kit if someone will pick it up.

Thanks again for all the tips.

And yes that's really me.

Steve

Hostile Projectiles
Old 09-04-2009, 07:56 AM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker

Wait til you see the drama of a "Sheri-gate" like we recently had ...

WHAT!!??

Ok, Jeff, I don't know what this is about. Now that my curiosity has been piqued, what is the story here since I typically don't traffic TRF and only sometimes RP.

And I agree that there is a lot a rational and measured discussion at YORF. The older I get, the less room I have for "noise" and "fluff", and there is not much of that here.

Greg
Old 09-08-2009, 10:34 AM
BAR

Hey Greg.

Sorry can't find the thread now. Don't know what happened. I linked to it in the "funniest pics you've ever seen" thread on N3 awhile back but when I clicked the link it's not there-- I guess they erased the thread.

Basically Sheri was having it out with some guy from Brazil who ordered a Saturn V from her. She's just moved to Hawaii and told him it'd take around ten weeks or so to build the kit and get it shipped, because half her rocket stuff is in transit or hasn't been unpacked yet. He supposedly agreed and sent the money but then started raising sand after about two weeks, and it's just mushroomed from there. She replied to him on TRF and they slapped her down again and so she took the whole issue to a thread on RP. It was up to like 15 pages or so but I can't seem to find it now. It was titled "my side of the story" or something to that effect.

It's pretty much wound down now but it was pretty funny (in a sad kinda way) to read while it was going on. The dude that ordered the rocket and Sheri were talking past each other. Apparently the guy was pretty abusive and threatening and of course that ALWAYS helps ya know... NOT! LOL

Anyway, Sheri has said she pretty much has washed her hands of TRF because of their moderation policies, which amount to favoritism and capriciousness.

I'm like you... while I do enjoy occassionally reading about such things for laughs if nothing else, I don't have a high BS threshold anymore and don't waste a lot of time on low signal to noise ratio baloney...

Later! OL JR

PS. Here's the link I posted on N3... http://forums.newtons3rdrocketry.co...=asc&start=1155
Old 09-08-2009, 10:46 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGleason
WHAT!!??

Ok, Jeff, I don't know what this is about. Now that my curiosity has been piqued, what is the story here since I typically don't traffic TRF and only sometimes RP.

And I agree that there is a lot a rational and measured discussion at YORF. The older I get, the less room I have for "noise" and "fluff", and there is not much of that here.

Greg

Must've turned REAL ugly...

Here's the scuttlebutt... http://www.rocketryplanet.com/forum...t=steve+shannon

Later! OL JR
Old 09-08-2009, 11:05 AM
5-cent Sugar Rocket

It got deleted? Guess we'll never know the real story.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:41 AM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker

... Basically Sheri was having it out with some guy from Brazil ...

Sigh. Thanks Jeff for the "Reader's Digest" version of the event. I sure am glad that happened on another forum.

But for us, it is good to welcome Steve and I am looking forward to the future builds of U812.

Greg
Old 09-08-2009, 02:00 PM
steely eyed missile man

Thanks Greg. I have had my fair share of trouble in the past don't get me wrong. I'm not a saint.

However the last time I got in it it was with a vendor who used smear tactics against a good friend who was one of his competitors. He constantly claimed my friend's system and product would cause failure in a RC model .

None would stand up to him. I did. And all I said on that particular forum was that he wasn't being fair and didn't have the experience to make such a claim. I asked him to come clean and admit it to which I got up one fine day to a knock on my door and I was served. As it turned out this person plays this way and had the money to back himself up. Which taught that freedom of speech sometimes only comes at a price these days.

He never did follow through with it and as it tuned out he would have had a tough time doing it. But never the less it cost me time, stress and aggravation. This is not something a hobby is supposed to be. Quite the opposite, no?

So I made it so that I would never again confront in a public forum a troll or public monster no matter how unfair and untrue they might be. There are other ways far more effective to take out a bad guy behind the scenes and in a manner within the law.

OK. Back to the hobby folks. And keep this little story in mind. As it is I enjoy the forums and the hobby a great deal more these days. In the end I should really thank the guy that tried to sue me.

Steve

Hostile Projectiles
Old 09-08-2009, 02:20 PM
5-cent Sugar Rocket

It's never worthwhile or productive to get in a fight online. Too easy to misunderstand someone or unintentionally offend with sarcastic and witty replies.

Then ther are the people like you engaged who lie and distort the facts to serve their own purpose.

You're definitely right, it's really not worth it. And welcome to a very calm community.