Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanHFox
I would have thought that all cats related to the Stine family must be named "Cosmo"...

"Delta" maybe.

"Flat" - not a good idea.

http://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/mpc0930.htm

http://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/mpcr216.htm
Old 11-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Master: Dark Art of Model Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanHFox
I would have thought that all cats related to the Stine family must be named "Cosmo"...

His name is actually Henley. I don't know why...

Master of the Dark Art of Model Rocketry

www.shrox.com
Old 11-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrox
OK. I was dressed right?

Yup.

Okay, here are some pictures of Shrox with two of his prototypes.

The first rocket prototype is 2" in diameter.

The second rocket is Shrox's 'Lancer' design with Quest parts.

Sorry, no ping-pong balls on these rockets.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Quest Shrox with concept model.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  20.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Quest Shrox with Lancer Prototype.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  23.1 KB  
Old 11-10-2009, 03:22 PM
German Model Rocket Builder

Thumbs up

I thought men had to wear ties in the US cooperate world

Anyway, love the mug shots

Just joking

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 11-10-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
...The second rocket is Shrox's 'Lancer' design with Quest parts...

Correction, that is the SHX Stiletto with Quest parts. Estes chose that ikky "Lancer" name, makes me think of a Dodge minivan or something...oh well, it's Quest's cool model now.

www.shrox.com
Old 11-10-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
I thought men had to wear ties in the US cooperate world

Anyway, love the mug shots

Just joking

Even when I was an art director at Sega and an executive at Maxis I only wore bolo ties if I did wear a tie. I do like narrow 80's ties though.

www.shrox.com
Old 11-10-2009, 04:02 PM

(Continued)...

Back in Bill's office, we discussed many rocketry related topics.

To the question of the black-powder D, E, & F motors, it's still a matter of getting all the ducks in a row. I did get to examine both a fired and an unfired F12 motor. The F12 has quite a 'heft' to it. I tried to talk Bill in to letting me take a few of these motors home but he said no.

As to new rocket kits, the MLAS was ready and Bill presented me with numbers 4 & 5 off the production line with certificates of authenticity.

On the work table behind where I was sitting was a box for the Big Dog kit with a laser-cut balsa fin sheet, motor mount parts, decal sheet, etc. The box was labeled. Bill showed me a run of box labels for the model and said all that was needed was the instruction sheet(s) and it would be ready to ship. I told Bill I would be glad to take one of the kits without the instruction sheet and he could e-mail it to me later. Bill declined as he only wanted 'complete' product to be let out. I can understand that. When it comes to announcing new kits and delivering them, Quest has been brought out five in the last 6 months or so and the Big Dog will be available soon.

Bill talked about the iHobby Show which had ended the week before. Bill showed me a new product Quest will be releasing and it is called Rocket Racers. In the tradition of Pinewood and Space Derby racing done by Scout groups, Quest has developed a 'vehicle' which can be customized by the builder and 'flown' down a set of strings/lines powered by a Micro Maxx motor. The 'chassis is about 8 inches long with 'wings' sticking out on both sides with guide tubes (rocket fliers call them launch lugs) for the strings. The 'shell' or body is made from a thick piece of paper and pre-printed on one side and white on the other. This will allow the Scout to draw/color his own design. The body shape can be modified with a set of scissors. Bill apologised for the fact that he didn't have any of the 'photo' model versions of the Rocket Racers to show me as they were still packed away with all the iHobby items.
I wish this product had been around when I was in Scouts.

A brief mention was made by Bill of the fact that 22 years earlier, he, I and Scott B. (Rokitflite) had been working together at Enertek in Phoenix with Lee Piester. I don't know about Bill but I was suddenly feeling old...
Old 11-10-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrox
Correction, that is the SHX Stiletto with Quest parts. Estes chose that ikky "Lancer" name, makes me think of a Dodge minivan or something...oh well, it's Quest's cool model now.

Ooops!

I'm sorry, I apologise, Shrox.

Bob
Old 11-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Master Modeler

What will it be called now. When I hear "Stiletto", I think of the Centuri Stiletto.

"Those who trade liberty for security have neither" - Benjamin Franklin

"Semroc is almost always the answer" - Stefanj

www.paulsavia.com

www.soundclick.com/paulsavia
Old 11-10-2009, 04:40 PM

(Continued)...

Bill talked about the 'business' of model/hobby rocketry. In the case of Quest, the company will have products for both the mass-market (RTF, plastic parts, etc) and products which will appeal the the 'hobbyist'. To demonstrate this last point, Bill showed me some balsa nose cone prototypes for possible future kits.

We discussed the 'barrier to entry' for those interested in the hobby but not sure how much they want to invest/spend to get started. Bill showed me a new product 'type' that Quest displayed at the iHobby Show. It was a mylar packet which contained a single rocket motor with an igniter. It would be sold out of a 'cookie jar' (My name for it) at the check out counter. This way, someone could buy a rocket kit and one motor and try out the hobby.

As I wraped up my visit with Bill, I asked to take a picture of him in his office. Along one office wall were two shelves full of built rocket models (Centuri 1/45th Little Joe II, Cox Saturn V, MRC Concept II launch pad and model, etc.). Many Quest models on display. Bill posed in front of the models for me to take a picture but not before checking to make sure nothing 'secret' was in view.

While walking out to my car I said my 'goodbyes' to the Quest staff. Bill stopped me before leaving and pointed to two rather large, stout looking items wrapped in brown plastic. "These are the two Quest 18mm motor making machines", he said. "Cool", I replied, "Let's fire one up and make some motors". Bill declined.

With that I thanked Bill for his and his staff's time and drove back to San Diego via Phoenix.

Thanks, again, Bill.

While in Phoenix, I stopped to see Lee and Betty Piester but that's a story for a different thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Quest Bill & models.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  75.0 KB