Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
We have everything ready to kit the Orion except the wrap. We had considered a paper and balsa-detailed wrap since it is hard to get a perfect styrene wrap.

My son whacked some of your Little Joe wraps and used scrap balsa to make a pretty darn nice looking Orion. You could easily kit the Orion with the same concept. Kody had my Centuri Saturns to go by when making the fiddly bits. Since you can only include drawings in your plans, the toughest part of building the Orion would be the modeler's ability to recreate the 3D shapes accurately with only 2D drawings to go by.

Here is the thread for Kody's Orion. You will be able to see all the small bits that he made to go on the wraps. There is plenty of corrugation detail on the rocket, but it doesn't show up well in the pic.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdros
I emailed Jim Neubauer to see if he still makes the wraps and what they might cost.

Don't forget that Jim's wraps are for a 2.6" pseudo upscale Orion. They are correct in size vertically, but he added an extra chunk to it to go all the way around the 2.6" tube. You will be able to see the added material and you can cut that off to make the correct size. I have three of his wraps. Like I mentioned above, they are bumpy due to the vacuum holes. They are also slightly curved/warped as you will be able to see if you put a straightedge at the bottom of the corrugations. They won't be perfect, but with some patience and work with an X-acto and some sandpaper, you will get a nice model.

DaveR and Barone saw both my Enerjet Athena where I used one of Jim's wraps, and Kody's Orion with the scratch built wraps based on the Little Joe wraps. I think they will agree that his wraps were cleaner looking. There are only two advantages to Jim's styrene wraps. 1. The small bits are already made. 2. The corrugations are deeper and easier to see from a distance, although they are over scaled compared to a real rocket's corrugations. That could be a negative, according to your sense of scale vs. visibility.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:

We have everything ready to kit the Orion except the wrap. We had considered a paper and balsa-detailed wrap since it is hard to get a perfect styrene wrap.

I am looking VERY forward to when Semroc releases the Orion.

Bob
Old 02-06-2010, 10:06 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

I do like the balsa parts on paper wraps. Intruder did a great job.

They are very close to our planned 1/100 scale Saturns. It does make for a modeler's kit where the skill of the modeler determines the outcome, rather than the skill of the tool and die maker that fabricates the injection or vacuum molds.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 02-06-2010, 10:53 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
I do like the balsa parts on paper wraps. Intruder did a great job.

They are very close to our planned 1/100 scale Saturns. It does make for a modeler's kit where the skill of the modeler determines the outcome, rather than the skill of the tool and die maker that fabricates the injection or vacuum molds.

And you have all you need in stock to kit it right now if you use the Little Joe wraps as-is and let the modeler modify them. Of course it would be easier to use a custom embossed wrap, but if Kody can hack the LJ wraps and make a nice one without the help of great SEMROC instructions to guide him, I think others could with them.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:54 AM
Craftsman

Kody did a super job with the "bits". Did he make the bits that glue on to the wrap in the picture? These were plastic pieces that must have been made from a mold. If he made them, can you tell me what he did?

What comes with the Little Joe wrap? Does it include the plastic tree of parts that glue onto it like the Saturn V?

Oh and Carl... I have to tell you that I REALLY appreciate Semroc and the service you provide for us born-again rocketeers! I'm from what I consider the golden age of rockets in the early 70s. I'd dream over the Estes and Centuri catalogs. I still have the Groove Tube, Stiletto, Taurus, Bandito, Black Widow, and Mach 10 and the Shuttle/Engine part of the Space Shuttle.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Kody did a super job with the "bits". Did he make the bits that glue on to the wrap in the picture? These were plastic pieces that must have been made from a mold. If he made them, can you tell me what he did?

What comes with the Little Joe wrap? Does it include the plastic tree of parts that glue onto it like the Saturn V?

Oh and Carl... I have to tell you that I REALLY appreciate Semroc and the service you provide for us born-again rocketeers! I'm from what I consider the golden age of rockets in the early 70s. I'd dream over the Estes and Centuri catalogs. I still have the Groove Tube, Stiletto, Taurus, Bandito, Black Widow, and Mach 10 and the Shuttle/Engine part of the Space Shuttle.

The Little Joe wraps are just corregated paper, nothing else. Kody took balsa scraps and carved/sanded all the bits to shape that go on the wraps. If you need more detail, I'll have him log on and answer specific questions.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Craftsman

I have my Saturn V to refer to if it's a matter of carving and sanding. I can see that that would be a bit of work. Kody must be very good at modeling to reproduce all those pieces. It's worth the effort - until Semroc comes out with their own version. Ahh, if only Estes could make stuff like this available!

(Hmm, unless I hear back from one of those guys who's done wraps...)
Old 02-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
I have my Saturn V to refer to if it's a matter of carving and sanding. I can see that that would be a bit of work. Kody must be very good at modeling to reproduce all those pieces. It's worth the effort - until Semroc comes out with their own version. Ahh, if only Estes could make stuff like this available!

(Hmm, unless I hear back from one of those guys who's done wraps...)

Copy the lower 3rd stage wrap for the lower Orion wrap and cut off some of the right side of it to fit down to the ST-20 tube.

The larger upper Orion wrap is from the Saturn 1B and the Saturn V's bits don't match it, but you can still get the feel for how it would look. You will need to go by drawings if you don't have a 1B. George Gassaway has a drawing for the 1B. It's actually more detailed than you need, as the parts from the styrene sheet are smooth to allow for easy molds.

Gassaway's Apollo 7 drawing.

I almost forgot. Jim's wraps are based off the Orion's wraps which were shortened by Centuri, then Jim added about 1 3/4" material to make them fit his 2.6" upscale. You will need to cut the extra off of the right side of his wraps.

If you get a copy of the original Saturn 1B and V wraps from Paul Graf, you will still have to cut some off. The Saturn 1B and Saturn V third stage have a 2.6" diameter and use the full wraps. To modify the full Saturn 1B wrap, you need to cut the extra off of the left side of it, and cut the right side off of the Saturn V wrap which is what Centuri did to create the Orion wraps.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Craftsman

That's a nice GIF! I can see some similaritites to the plastic pieces on the Saturn V. The APS modules and the retro rockets are similar to what I have on my body wraps. I'll take another look later. Thanks!