Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdros
That's a nice GIF! I can see some similaritites to the plastic pieces on the Saturn V. The APS modules and the retro rockets are similar to what I have on my body wraps. I'll take another look later. Thanks!

APS modules on the Saturn V are larger double-humps for lack of a better description and are on the 3rd stage, which will be the lower wrap on the Orion. The APS modules on the Saturn 1B's 2nd stage are plain faired in cylinders.

Also, the retros on the Centuri Saturn 1B model (and Orion large wrap) have both ends streamlined, where the Saturn V retros and Gassaway's 1B drawing have a flat bottom and streamlined top. The flat bottom is accurate for the real Saturn 1B (SA-205 Apollo 7), but not to recreate the Centuri model, which is based on the earlier SA-201 and SA-202 Saturns.

APS Saturn V 3rd stage:

APS Saturn 1B 2nd stage:
Old 02-08-2010, 02:10 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I prefer PRECISELY molded / vac formed wraps to ANY sort of embossed cardboard and balsa bits nonsense whenever it can be the choice.

Just like comparing the the Apogee 1/70 Apollo PLASTIC highly detailed capsule to the 1/70 Estes/Semroc capsule. The Estes/Semroc tower for the capsule is a time-consuming tedious several hour affair that results in a product inferior to the Apogee capsule which can be assembled by the LEAST experienced in under an hour.

TEDIUM is not something I happen to relish in hobbies.
I get enough of that on a daily basis.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 02-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I prefer PRECISELY molded / vac formed wraps to ANY sort of embossed cardboard and balsa bits nonsense whenever it can be the choice.

You may prefer them, but the styrene Saturn wraps of Estes and Centuri are extremely off scale. The embossed paper wraps are much closer in scale. Like I said earlier, the only advantages to the styrene wraps are convenience and you can see the corrugations a few feet farther away.

You may prefer styrene, but by no means does that make paper and balsa "nonsense".
Old 02-08-2010, 02:57 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I stand corrected.
Replace the word "Nonsense" with "Nuisance" when comparing embossed cardboard/balsa bits to easily applied vac-formed plastic.
These are stand-off scale rockets, not "precision" anyway. If one really wanted a precision scale Saturn, the only real way to start is with the Apogee kit.
Seeing as there is no such thing as an actual "orion", how can it be off scale ?

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 02-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I stand corrected.
Replace the word "Nonsense" with "Nuisance" when comparing embossed cardboard/balsa bits to easily applied vac-formed plastic.
These are stand-off scale rockets, not "precision" anyway. If one really wanted a precision scale Saturn, the only real way to start is with the Apogee kit.
Seeing as there is no such thing as an actual "orion", how can it be off scale ?

Using styrene wraps would make it scale to the original Orion kit.

However, the embossed wraps of the Estes and Semroc Saturns are closer to scale than the styrene wraps of Estes/Centuri. Embossed wraps aren't any trouble at all for me. Making retros, ulage rockets, conduit, etc. can be a time consuming, but it isn't really hard. I think Kody's SEMROC Saturn 1B and his scratch Orion look great.

I agree that the Apogee capsule/escape tower is the way to go while the model is on display. Then throw the SEMROC capsule on it for flight. Styrene is easy to break and it can get pretty expensive to keep buying Apogee capsules at $30 a pop with shipping.

For a detailed scale model to set on the mantle, I'd like to have the Apogee kits as would most of us. However, I don't have that much spare cash to throw around. I'll stick with the SEMROC kits to fly.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:58 AM
Craftsman

I probably would have preferred styrene to making it myself but if I can't get styrene I might as well take a crack at making the APS modules and retro rockets out of balsa and dowels. I'm not an expert modeler but I'll give it a try.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:31 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

The only wraps I make are for the 1/100th scale Saturn 1b & a 1/70th sport scale Little Joe II. Doesn't the Orion use a Saturn V wrap too?

I have not gotten many requests for the wraps in a long time, but I would be willing to make some more.

Paul Graf
Old 02-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafgulch
The only wraps I make are for the 1/100th scale Saturn 1b & a 1/70th sport scale Little Joe II. Doesn't the Orion use a Saturn V wrap too?

I have not gotten many requests for the wraps in a long time, but I would be willing to make some more.

Paul Graf

The Orion uses the 1/100 Saturn 1B interstage wrap and the 1/100 Saturn V lower third stage wrap. The Enerjet Athena uses the same wraps.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:19 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

The 1/100th Saturn 1b wrap I sell is not a direct reproduction to the Estes/Centuri vacuform wraps. I don't make a wrap for a 1/100th scale Saturn V.

With that being said, If my S1B is Ok to clone Orion, then I would be willing to make a reproduction of the required Saturn V wrap. I believe I have some to the details pieces that I could use to make this wrap from my 20th anniv. issue Of the Saturn V.

Is this something that would be worthwhile? I have time now. It has been a long boring winter.

Paul
Old 02-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafgulch
The 1/100th Saturn 1b wrap I sell is not a direct reproduction to the Estes/Centuri vacuform wraps. I don't make a wrap for a 1/100th scale Saturn V.

With that being said, If my S1B is Ok to clone Orion, then I would be willing to make a reproduction of the required Saturn V wrap. I believe I have some to the details pieces that I could use to make this wrap from my 20th anniv. issue Of the Saturn V.

Is this something that would be worthwhile? I have time now. It has been a long boring winter.

That would be great! I'd buy a set. Will probably buy a 1b and LJ II set as well.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558