Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2010, 08:54 AM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

Yeah, I got that part about the C6-5s. But he didn't say that was his only motor choice, just that it was most common (I am not going to dispute if the actual production/distribution numbers are as claimed).

I am just a believer that you "motor your rocket" to the conditions, not "rocket your motor" (if that makes sense).

Greg
Old 05-17-2010, 09:08 AM
Dazed and Confused

The tough part about your request is the delay. It would be easy to recommend several rockets for the C6-3, but the C6-5 is going to carry some altitude if the rocket's flight profile fits the delay.

If you use the Big Bertha or other rockets that have been recommended, consider cutting a huge hole in the 18" chute (at least 3-4") or swapping down to a 12" chute. If you are in a grassy field, it shouldn't hurt the rocket when descending on a 12" chute. The Bertha is light enough to fly on a B6-4, so that should give you an idea that a C6-5 will probably put you up around 500 ft., making it easy to drift away if you don't judge the winds perfectly.

All this depends on what you consider a "small" field. I do school launches in an area smaller than half a football field and surrounded by trees. Some people consider something the size of four football fields put together as "small".
Old 05-17-2010, 09:41 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGleason
I am just a believer that you "motor your rocket" to the conditions, not "rocket your motor" (if that makes sense).

Since the motors are the major expense, I feel they should be the design driver

If you are putting a lot of expense and effort into the rockets, you might feel differently.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Master Modeler

I understand about C6-5s...since the the most common mass-market package seems to be what WalMart shelf tags laughingly call the "C6-5 assortment". Anyway, our club has a pretty small regular flying site that is bounded by a busy street on one side. In general we don't do Cs there at all.

That said, one club member puts about two ounces in the Estes Metallizer and recovers it on a big streamer. He basically says that's the only C-powered thing to be flown on the field. Even so, I have flown my Semroc Vega there on C6-5s on several occasions. It is the size of a Big Bertha, being based on a full length BT-60 tube. One thing it has is a 12 inch 'chute (which is plenty, by the way) rather than the Bertha's 18 incher. Not relevant to the small field but I also have the Semroc BT-60 baffle in it and need no wadding at all.

As previously mentioned, saucers work too. A Snitch on a C doesn't go all that far.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 05-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Member in Good Standing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlueyFingers
Since the motors are the major expense, I feel they should be the design driver

If you are putting a lot of expense and effort into the rockets, you might feel differently.

Wow. From this post, I'm not sure that you need our advice. Most here have been flying for a very long time. Some of the building skills here are far and away top level.

Design and build to to suit yourself, it's that simple. No need to ask for anyone's opinion when it's not to your liking or alternatives suggested.

Jack

NAR 4619
TRA 5434 L2
Old 05-17-2010, 11:30 AM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
As previously mentioned, saucers work too. A Snitch on a C doesn't go all that far.

The problem with saucers is that they are back on the ground before a C6-5 ejects.

Bill
Old 05-17-2010, 01:01 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketflyer
Some of the building skills here are far and away top level.

Which really has very little relevance to the original question - which was about design characteristics suitable for large engines on small fields. If the answer to that is "big and draggy" it doesn't really matter if its a competition winning finish that took three weeks, or some fins on an unpainted piece of rolled posterboard.

What would be interesting would be to hear the perspective of experience on the mass / launch rod length part of the original question.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:47 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
The problem with saucers is that they are back on the ground before a C6-5 ejects.

Bill

True. We typically fly 'em on C6-0s....which aren't available at TRU and WalMart.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 05-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Maker of Shiny things

Default I would go with a patriot

I would consider an estes patriot , its bt60 , flys real well on c6-5 . with its stubby fins , if you build it well you can stuff it with 10 ft of crepe paper streamer and nearly drop it on a rock .

I fly one regulary on 2-3 c6-5' and land it with streamers , it has craked a fin or 2 but iwould say it has in excess of 30 flights , some lifting a payload .

you can get a pat for under 10 bucks ( with coupon ) at michaels

Just to attest to there toughness , i have flown the d's e's and f's . and it survived

Last edited by jamjammer53150 : 05-17-2010 at 04:29 PM. Reason: oopsie
Old 05-17-2010, 04:48 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamjammer53150
I would consider an estes patriot , its bt60 , flys real well on c6-5 . with its stubby fins , if you build it well you can stuff it with 10 ft of crepe paper streamer and nearly drop it on a rock .

I fly one regulary on 2-3 c6-5' and land it with streamers , it has craked a fin or 2 but iwould say it has in excess of 30 flights , some lifting a payload .

you can get a pat for under 10 bucks ( with coupon ) at michaels

Just to attest to there toughness , i have flown the d's e's and f's . and it survived

You know, I have never once broken a fin that has been properly papered. A streamer and papered fins might be the best combo.

"Those who trade liberty for security have neither" - Benjamin Franklin

"Semroc is almost always the answer" - Stefanj

www.paulsavia.com

www.soundclick.com/paulsavia