Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Master Modeler

There were 50 Satrun V's availaable at NARAM 52m alkl with serial numbers. The very first one was being put up for the Robert "Bob" Cannon memorial auction.

I understand that more will be available later this month.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:07 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I for one can't stand the entire WalMutt business model and refuse to even set foot in their stores now that I am divorced. The ex wife used to drag me in those gawd-awful stores that try to be the jack-of-all-trades king-of-none carry a little-of-everything but not-much-of-anything.
Their motto should be "Always Low Wages and Benefits along with poor supplier/vendor relations-Always"
Their supposed store "managers" are not managers at all; they are corporate order-following DRONES that are allowed zero local managerial autonomy whatsoever.
I gladly shop at local stores and chains that cost a little more but actually pay their employees a LIVING wage/benefit package that does not have to be supplemented by some sort of gubmint assistance. Compare Costco to Sam's Club for example. One will be able to quickly deduce which employer treats their employees better if one did a little research.
Find me a happy/satisfied WalMutt employee and you have one of two choices; the person is either a retiree that does the job to keep active and does not need the money or is a Corporate (non store-level) Employee.

Store-brands SUCK and I like those even less than WalMutt business model. "Look at this brand exclusive to XYZ Mart" conveys a feeling of "well we are mediocre and almost as good, but with none of the recognition of the real brand"
A good example of this is cheap off-brand golf club clones- Would you really want to play a decent brand like a Callaway Big Bertha or Taylor Made or Ping or play some backwater Elbonia produced Honest Al's golf big-swatter clubs ?

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-04-2010, 02:32 PM
the middle-aged rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I think Michaels gets it's supply from Horizon Hobby who is a direct competitor to Hobbico/Great Planes/Tower who now owns Estes. Not sure if Horizon even handles Estes any longer.

Both of those companies are headquarted here in Champaign-Urbana (oddly enough), I used to think there was a connection, but there apparently isn't.

They are probably less than 10 miles apart.

Horizon still has Estes listed on their retail website, but some of the items are marked as being out of stock.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I for one can't stand the entire WalMutt business model and refuse to even set foot in their stores now that I am divorced. The ex wife used to drag me in those gawd-awful stores that try to be the jack-of-all-trades king-of-none carry a little-of-everything but not-much-of-anything.
Their motto should be "Always Low Wages and Benefits along with poor supplier/vendor relations-Always"
Their supposed store "managers" are not managers at all; they are corporate order-following DRONES that are allowed zero local managerial autonomy whatsoever.
I gladly shop at local stores and chains that cost a little more but actually pay their employees a LIVING wage/benefit package that does not have to be supplemented by some sort of gubmint assistance. Compare Costco to Sam's Club for example. One will be able to quickly deduce which employer treats their employees better if one did a little research.
Find me a happy/satisfied WalMutt employee and you have one of two choices; the person is either a retiree that does the job to keep active and does not need the money or is a Corporate (non store-level) Employee.

Store-brands SUCK and I like those even less than WalMutt business model. "Look at this brand exclusive to XYZ Mart" conveys a feeling of "well we are mediocre and almost as good, but with none of the recognition of the real brand"
A good example of this is cheap off-brand golf club clones- Would you really want to play a decent brand like a Callaway Big Bertha or Taylor Made or Ping or play some backwater Elbonia produced Honest Al's golf big-swatter clubs ?

You are 100% correct. WalMart is known for not having stock on the shelves, go into any WM and go up and down any aisle, there are so many open spots. I have gone to the manager, asst manager and front end person to no avail.

I told them straight out, if you don't have the items on the shelves, then, the consumer will shop elsewhere, but, if WM is the only "kid on the block" then, what are you to do.

Every inch of shelf space means dollars signs to WM.

You are correct about their "greatValue" store brand items, they do SUCK. And, even their Relion Brand brand items leave much to be desired.

The last time I checked, there were 5 out of 10 in the Forbes billion dollar club, and they were from walMaart."Save Money, Live better", Spend more and get less.

If you go to the pharmacy, drop off a RX, they will tell you to come ack in an hour, they may offer $4 and $10 prescriptions, but, that is made up in have much stuff ypu put into your cart.

Corporate America, isn't it great....................
Old 08-04-2010, 06:51 PM
NAR # 19250 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
If you go to the pharmacy, drop off a RX, they will tell you to come ack in an hour, they may offer $4 and $10 prescriptions, but, that is made up in have much stuff ypu put into your cart.

Order prescriptions online. Then duck in, pick up and duck out. Cheap prescriptions. No cart full of stuff.
A dark night in a city that knows how to keep its secrets. But high above the quiet streets on the 12th floor of the Acme Building, one man is still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions. Guy Noir, Private Eye.

Fox Valley Rocketeers: http://www.foxvalleyrocketeers.org
Old 08-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
There were 50 Satrun V's availaable at NARAM 52m alkl with serial numbers. The very first one was being put up for the Robert "Bob" Cannon memorial auction.

I understand that more will be available later this month.

I was the one that started this thread about Saturns listed at AC Supply at $67. And I bought one of the NARAM Saturn V kits on Sunday.

Glad to pay full price for the experience:
I got #13 of 50. And the most gratifying part -- Mike Dorffler was in the booth, and I had a chance to talk to him. The Estes staff was incredibly courteous, asked him to sign it for me, and when I asked Mike if I could take his picture, a booth staffer asked me to come into the booth, took my camera, and took a picture of me with Mike. (I'll get it off the camera and post ...)

I only drove down for the day, and did not fly, but instead visited Semroc and other vendors to spend a bunch of money. I also met some fellow YORF'ers, like Initiator001 (Bob Sanford), and Bob Kaplow, who I "met" on r.m.r. MANY years ago. Bill Simon of Estes fame ws in the Semroc booth, and that was a real surprise to meet him. Semroc, ever the class act, was having Bill autograph Sky Hook kits (with Bill's 1960s era picture on it), and giving them away.

Wow, what a great day!

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 08-05-2010, 09:21 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The more I read, the more I realize I may have missed one of the best NARAMs ever.
I even had to miss the one a few years back in my home state due to a last minute business trip.
THAT really stunk as the business trip was a glad-handing worthless political boondoggle.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
The more I read, the more I realize I may have missed one of the best NARAMs ever.

I agree. Unfortunately, I have to miss it every year because we are not allowed to miss in-service for any reason. If I were to croak, they would make me sit up in my casket and take notes.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:20 AM
I do not like Facebook

I am surprised that nobody has uploaded any pictures, so here are pictures of my box...

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Front.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  44.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Left.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  39.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Right.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  42.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  End.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  43.0 KB  
Old 08-07-2010, 01:45 AM
Retromaniac

Quote:

Amen to that brother.....
I gave them 10 years of my life, with nothing to show for it and my father put in 25, and was NEVER appreciated.
P.O. Box 250760
North Little Rock AR, 72225

L1 on Pem-Tech Space Ark
at NSL2007

pem_tech (at) Yahoo (dot) com
TRF (at) pembertontechnologies (dot) com