Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2010, 12:09 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

In order to get a decent looking Saturn V out of the sheri's hot rockets kit, one would have to spend more than the Apogee or Sirius kits once done as one would have to replace ALL the materials for a decent build. Those things are good for going DIRECTLY into the JUNK-HEAP !
Not quite the cost of the 10" Polecat kit, but totally worthless junk.

I feel the same way about her kits as I do about cars from most all IMPORT brands, regardless of where assembled; GOOD FOR SMASHIN' or tossing off a LARGE CLIFF !!!!

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-26-2010, 01:12 PM
I do not like Facebook

My first scale kit was the semi-scale Saturn V from Estes. If only they would reissue that one too...

I would have to recommend the Dr Zooch Saturn V for the first timer. Depending on your skill level, you can build it simple or detailed. Then fly it without too much fear of losing or wrecking it; they will make more, as the commercial says. And the price is right.

The Zooch Saturn 1Bs are not bad except for the tanks as GH mentioned. I learned a little trick with mine. The black tanks went well, the few creases I ended up with are not so noticeable due to the printed detail.

But the white ones looked absolutely terrible. Luckily they looked bad before I glued them, so I just wound them tighter than needed, then covered them with a "skin" of printer paper. An alternative is to cut new ones "against the grain" of the cardstock (like one of the white ones and all of the black ones) as those seem to roll better without creasing.

I have the Saturn Press kit, but because it is a bit bigger, I am wanting to do something more about the corrugated wraps than just painting the roll patterns. Either get good enough to make printed wraps ala the semi-scale Estes kit or make my own embossed ones.

Bill
Old 08-26-2010, 04:19 PM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
How about a Sheri's Hot Rockets Saturn V? <ducking>

Aww Scott, you beat me to it! (also ducking...)

Allen
Old 08-26-2010, 04:43 PM
Craftsman

I've actually had one of the SHR Saturns and the kit was fine (ghrocketman did you buy yours directly from Sheri or a retailer?). They were sport scale rockets but for the money, you couldn't get anything like it. In fact, I have all of the current kits on the market except the Polecat. I think the absolute best is the Sirius. Hands-down, no exceptions. However to compare the Sirius to the SHR is foolish. Not in the same league. Dave Rocks!

The most fun flying rocket is the Zooch Sat V. I've put so many flights on it that I've started putting the biggest motor in it that will fit in hopes it would fly away...so I could justify building another! Take it one step further. I flew the $%ll out of my Zooch kits during NARAM 51 and won a Sirius kit (gift certificate that led to a Sat V)! How's that for better!

Spend the $25 bucks on a Zooch Sat V from one of the vendors and then get ready to eat because your Sat V appitite is going to grow!
TRA #11767
Level 1
Old 08-26-2010, 08:52 PM
"now where did THAT one go??"

Default Thanks!

Thanks guys, you've given me much to look at...too much to do so at right this minute, but I didn't want to forget. I plan on reviewing your recommendation during lunch tomorrow (and quite possibly through the morning and afternoon too, hope it's a slow Friday!).
Old 08-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Master Modeler

The Zooch kit is a great place to start. I agree with Bravo. As far as scale accuracy, I'm not sure what people are expecting out of a $25 kit, but it looks an awful lot like a Saturn V to me! If you are into scale competition, then build from one from scratch, and you'll have nobody to blame but yourself if it's not 100% accurate! I'm currently working on the Saturn press kit and it's been going together much easier than anticipated. It fits together like a jigsaw puzzle and very well thought out, however, I wouldn't necessarily call it a beginner kit. I have both the Estes and Apogee kits as well. I'll probably get to the Estes later rather than sooner, but I look forward to the build as I've always wanted to take a mulligan on that one since I screwed up my first one as a kid. The vacuum form fins have me a little nervous and I may opt for the Sirius/Moldin Oldies resin parts, but we'll see. I have a couple other ideas first. The Apogee kit is handed down and was partially built when I got it. I still haven't brought myself to complete it, but I hope to do so some day. It's huge in comparison to the other kits. Lightweight for it's size, but still requires quite a bit of motor to get 'er going safely.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
Aww Scott, you beat me to it! (also ducking...)

Allen

Okay, I give up... What's the inside joke about Sheri's hot rockets (besides the dumb name)? I googled it, and while I can't tell at a glance if it's scale (and it's beyond my price range), it's not a bad looking model (the Saturn, not Sheri)...feel like i'm missing out on something!
Old 08-29-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
In order to get a decent looking Saturn V out of the sheri's hot rockets kit, one would have to spend more than the Apogee or Sirius kits once done as one would have to replace ALL the materials for a decent build. Those things are good for going DIRECTLY into the JUNK-HEAP !
Not quite the cost of the 10" Polecat kit, but totally worthless junk.

I feel the same way about her kits as I do about cars from most all IMPORT brands, regardless of where assembled; GOOD FOR SMASHIN' or tossing off a LARGE CLIFF !!!!

Ahh...Lesson learned about reading threads out of order...sorry for the clarification question on SHR!
Old 08-29-2010, 11:34 PM

Default Okay, had time to browse

The Zooch kits appear to be astonishing (to my untrained eye...I wasn't around for space flight until the Shuttle program started ) and bear serious consideration. My concern is that the pictures of the kit components as shown on the website are pretty sparse- a transition, some tubes...so either the website photos are misleading or much of the detail is hand-crafted ? For $25 I think I have my next kit...
Old 08-29-2010, 11:59 PM

Default And still more time to browse...

The Apogee kits are beautiful, but out of my price range for now (once I build my skills...). The Semroc seems to be a close runner to the Zooch- doesn't someone from Semroc post here often? If so, just curious as to why the site is so scant on details? The representations are nice, but I'd appreciate some photos of the assembled kit and more info. {25 minutes later} I just noticed and read the instructions as PDF, awesome! I do think my decision has been made...Semroc it shall be (again, the Zooch is a beaut, but I like the larger size of the Semroc). I'll post pictures of my finished attempt. Thanks again to all for your advice!